Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 10:54 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
If you do a little research involving the scientific literature, as opposed to the popular press, you'll find that
Glyphosate interferes with a particular amino acid synthetase found only in green plants-- not in animals. The only way it would affect frog populations is by killing the algae that is eaten by bugs that are eaten by frogs...And I don't don't why she swallowed the fly...Oh, wait. I got distracted.

Really?

PITTSBURGH—As amphibians continue to mysteriously disappear worldwide, a University of Pittsburgh researcher may have found more pieces of the puzzle. Elaborating on his previous research, Pitt assistant professor of biological sciences Rick Relyea has discovered that Roundup®, the most commonly used herbicide in the world, is deadly to tadpoles at lower concentrations than previously tested; that the presence of soil does not mitigate the chemical's effects; and that the product kills frogs in addition to tadpoles.

In two articles published in the August 1 issue of the journal Ecological Applications, Relyea and his doctoral students Nancy Schoeppner and Jason Hoverman found that even when applied at concentrations that are one-third of the maximum concentrations expected in nature, Roundup® still killed up to 71 percent of tadpoles raised in outdoor tanks.

Relyea also examined whether adding soil to the tanks would absorb the Roundup® and make it less deadly to tadpoles. The soil made no difference: After exposure to the maximum concentration expected in nature, nearly all of the tadpoles from three species died.

Although Roundup® is not approved for use in water, scientists have found that the herbicide can wind up in small wetlands where tadpoles live due to inadvertent spraying during the application of Roundup®.

Studying how Roundup® affected frogs after metamorphosis, Relyea found that the recommended application of Roundup® Weed and Grass Killer, a formulation marketed to homeowners and gardeners, killed up to 86 percent of terrestrial frogs after only one day.

"The most striking result from the experiments was that a chemical designed to kill plants killed 98 percent of all tadpoles within three weeks and 79 percent of all frogs within one day," Relyea wrote.

Previous studies have determined that it is Roundup®'s surfactant (polyethoxylated tallowamine, or POEA, an "inert" ingredient added to make the herbicide penetrate plant leaves) and not the active herbicide (glyphosate) that is lethal to amphibians.

This research was funded by the National Science Foundation, Pitt's McKinley Fund, and the Pennsylvania Academy of Science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 10:57 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Incredible isn't it?

Fortunately it will soon (2023) be banned for retail sales/residential use. It needs to be banned in agriculture too but that is going to take more time.
That is great news! It's already banned in some European countries, with more to follow.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:06 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I live in the desert; a lawn would be a lot of work and a huge waste of water. I've cleared out plants that were in my way, or ugly. I've added plants that can survive this climate and don't appeal to hungry animals. (I've also added plants that didn't survive or got eaten).

My yard, like every yard in my area, is sand and rocks, with scattered plants that bloom like crazy a few weeks a year.
Yes, these conversations are very regional. Here in Ohio, the easiest and cheapest option is to maintain a lawn. Literally all you need is a lawn mower, a weed whacker, and an hour or two every week or two. No sprinklers or chemicals or other special equipment needed unless you're going for a more manicured golf course look.

Old 09-21-2021, 12:14 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It is not being banned here. If it was, I would buy enough gallons to last me the rest of my life LOL.

Don't know where "here" is for you, but it's being banned in the US.

https://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/...5KHnNNVMrt_XBI

Old 09-21-2021, 12:56 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:

That is just for the Roundup brand. But just in case, I will be purchasing several gallons.

And lawyers are the only reason - of course.
"This move is being made exclusively to manage litigation risk and not because of any safety concerns," the company said when it announced its decision.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 09-21-2021 at 01:19 PM..

Old 09-21-2021, 01:09 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
And lawyers are the only reason - of course.
"This move is being made exclusively to manage litigation risk and not because of any safety concerns," the company said when it announced its decision.
But would you really expect them to say it is a health hazard?

Old 09-21-2021, 01:09 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:

No it's not. Monsanto said they will stop selling the name brand Roundup, but there is plenty of generic glyphosate out there.

I always buy the generic stuff. Name brand Roundup is too expensive.

Old 09-21-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
But would you really expect them to say it is a health hazard?
It's not. I would bet everything I own on it.

Old 09-21-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
No it's not. Monsanto said they will stop selling the name brand Roundup, but there is plenty of generic glyphosate out there.

I always buy the generic stuff. Name brand Roundup is too expensive.
Me too. Glyphosate has not been under a patent since 2000. It is made and marketed by many companies. There may be a reduction in the sale of Roundup, but glyphosate isn't going anywhere.

Old 09-21-2021, 02:19 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Someone used the term “farmer’s lawn” for a mown area of mixed grasses, clover, and weeds. That’s what we have. It would cost a lot to convert our pasture areas to native grasses because most of it is hardy fescue, Bermuda, and plantains. We mow it to keep the invasive wisteria, ailanthus, ligustrum, nandina, and kudzu from creeping any closer than it has.

Yeah, we have kudzu…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden