Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 11:09 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,095,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Very cool! But I only achieved that compost temp in the summer in full sun. Sometimes I feel like we're living on different planets. lol
My summer compost bin never got this hot, but that's because I was just adding small amounts of prunings, weeds and kitchen scraps at a time. A whole backyard of shredded leaves is a much larger mass and surface area of material that's all equally fresh and breaking down simultaneously, so I guess it's able to build up more heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 01:57 PM

Looks like this was the bees last drink of nectar - from Nov 17. This is rappini flowers.

The brassica rapa family vegetables seem quite popular with bees, and are able to continue blooming several weeks past the first frost. The persistent cold of the past week has meant that they're done flowering now, but in milder areas/seasons they can keep going for a while, mine were blooming into December in Oakville on some years. And the bees seem like they're willing to come out of their hiding places to pollinate as long as its in the mid 40s or warmer, especially if there's some sun.

Also decided to pull up the radishes since they don't tolerate hard freezes/ground freezes as well as carrots and parsnips.

The China Rose radishes are just huge. Far bigger than the French Breakfast in my hand... Maybe they hybridized a bit with the daikon radish, but even my daikon radishes (on the left) aren't as big.

Old 11-30-2023, 10:18 PM

Passiflora cuttings are starting to root out.

First maypop ripens! (in my SE facing window)

Old 12-15-2023, 04:35 PM

Last maypop fruits dropped off earlier this week.

Got about 8-9 total that were ripe. I could have had around 20 per plant if they hadn't broken off when I was moving the vine inside (there was a large segment of vine that snapped). They all ripened within a ~12 day window.

Old 01-12-2024, 01:07 PM

Picked the parsnip in Oakville before the ground freezes.

That'll probably be basically the end of gardening there since the closing date is in April. I might get a bit of mache for salads before we close though especially if it's a mild winter there.

Broccoli is still in decent condition - I'm gonna leave it for now and see how it holds up, I have too many brassica greens to deal with anyways.

Some little radish seedlings that took too long to sprout in the fall to make proper roots, I guess I'll do a hardiness experiment with them too.

Old 01-14-2024, 12:20 PM

83,509 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Picked the parsnip in Oakville before the ground freezes.

That'll probably be basically the end of gardening there since the closing date is in April. I might get a bit of mache for salads before we close though especially if it's a mild winter there.

Broccoli is still in decent condition - I'm gonna leave it for now and see how it holds up, I have too many brassica greens to deal with anyways.

Some little radish seedlings that took too long to sprout in the fall to make proper roots, I guess I'll do a hardiness experiment with them too.
Not surprised something is still going there. My soil temp was in the low 40s yesterday. Back down to Upper 30s today. I bet your getting the itch to start a new season.

Old 01-15-2024, 01:48 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Hey Cam where is that picture of your wood stove with the roaring fire. I think most of the country could look at that these days. It is gently snowing here but it is 34 degrees so it will not stick.

Old 01-18-2024, 12:42 AM

9F air temp and 90F compost temp at mid-day Wed.

Compost pile under the snow:

Compost temp

Old 01-19-2024, 06:51 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,211,261 times
Brrrr - I had to move my garden to make room for a propane tank. Once it warms up from the sub zero temperatures I will redo it. Being a raised garden with cinder blocks makes this doable. I already bought more bags of garden soil to mix in with my existing garden soil. Right now it is 12 degrees. Last year I mixed in some 13-13-13 fertilizer in early spring. If I can get the garden rebuilt in time I will do it again.

Old 01-21-2024, 01:02 PM

83,509 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
9F air temp and 90F compost temp at mid-day Wed.

Compost pile under the snow:

Compost temp
AWESOME! I dont think my leaves broke down enough but I'm curious what the temp is in the pile.

Edit: Just checked... Had to make a hole

41.9°F. Guess nothing is composting. lol. I bet you if it was actual soil instead of leaves and if there was a snowpack it would be double that temp

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden