Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 08:51 PM

5,897 posts, read 6,102,230 times

Advertisements

Maypop passionfruit is setting fruit it seems. First dozen flowers just fell off, but in the past couple weeks, they've been setting fruit. That wasn't true last year, when all the flowers fell off, even though I had a large quantity of flowers from early August until mid-late September. I've read conflicting information about whether they're self-fertile or not. Some say that if they don't get cross-pollinated by a genetically distinct plant, the fruits just turn out to be hollow shells with no pulp or seeds to eat. We'll see...

Currently, I have two clones (from cuttings) of my original plant, but the one that's setting the most fruit is also growing next to my passiflora caerulea. They are different species, but some distinct but related species of passionflower can supposedly cross-pollinate and hybridize. We'll see if that's the case here...

We'll also see if there's enough time in the season for them to ripen. Typical first frost is early October. I could always untangle the vines from the trellis to bring them inside if I think it's gonna be cutting it close, but I'm skeptical of how well they could ripen indoors.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2023, 02:38 PM

More figs.

Some of the tomatoes I'm picking off are looking a little rough due to blight. Those will just have to go into stews, sauce, etc.

Biggest tomato, 720g (25.4oz).

Biggest eggplant, 774g (27.3oz)

More tomatoes, peppers, cukes, zucchini.

Old 09-07-2023, 03:03 PM

Weekly harvests update

35.8 lbs (+11.2 lbs) of eggplants

25.8 lbs (+0.1 lbs) of cherry tomatoes (still have some, but also have a lot in the house to eat - will pick more tomorrow)
28.3 lbs (+9.2 lbs) of slicer tomatoes
20.0 lbs (+3.0 lbs) of green tomatoes
74.1 lbs (+12.3 lbs) tomatoes overall

15.5 lbs (+4.9 lbs) of red/orange peppers
5.8 lbs (+1.8 lbs ) of white peppers
6.8 lbs (+0.0 lbs) of green peppers
28.1 lbs (+6.7 lbs) peppers overall

16.7 lbs (+3.5 lbs) of zucchini
5.3 lbs (+0.0 lbs) of vegetable marrow
2.2 lbs (+0.6 lbs) of yellow squash
24.2 lbs (+4.1 lbs) summer squash overall

16.1 lbs (+16.1 lbs) butternut squash

33.6 lbs (+3.6 lbs) of cucumbers

17.3 lbs (+5.0 lbs) of green beans

3.6 lbs (+0.0 lbs) of peas

0.2 lbs (+0.0 lbs) of okra

13.1 lbs (+0.1 lbs) of raspberries

1.2 lbs of alpine strawberries

1.9 lbs (+0.7 lbs) of figs

249.2 lbs (+59.8 lbs) overall

Old 09-08-2023, 09:54 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post

Biggest eggplant, 774g (27.3oz)

WOW! I don't even think I grew a Pumpkin that heavy. LOL - Oh wait, I thought that said pounds. LMAO! Whoops

I can't believe you get figs before us down here. Even my neighbor with full sun still hasn't gotten ripe figs

Old 09-08-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
WOW! I don't even think I grew a Pumpkin that heavy. LOL - Oh wait, I thought that said pounds. LMAO! Whoops

I can't believe you get figs before us down here. Even my neighbor with full sun still hasn't gotten ripe figs
All of the figs were head started in the greenhouse though. No greenhouse anymore though so we'll see how I manage in 2024. I'll still try to head start them a bit with grow lights I think, and then shuffle them in and out of the garage if needed in mid-late May.

I wonder how big my biggest Mountain Merit tomatoes will be this year. Some of them look much bigger than last year. They're supposed to be 8-10oz, and some of them are that size, but a lot of them seem to be 12-16oz, and some look to even be 20oz+.

Old 09-08-2023, 01:08 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Wow that's bigger than an average beefsteak.

I miss not being able to grow beefsteak or mortgage lifters (in the garden). My wife and I enjoy tomato sandwiches in the summer.

Old 09-08-2023, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Wow that's bigger than an average beefsteak.

I miss not being able to grow beefsteak or mortgage lifters (in the garden). My wife and I enjoy tomato sandwiches in the summer.
This one I just picked is 583g/20.6oz, more than double the size the packet said it would be.

I think some of the ones still on the plants are a bit bigger too. The 720g beefsteak will probably remain the biggest of that variety - this year the two varieties have been rather close in size.

Picked a bunch of pepperoncini peppers to pickle and a lot of Midnight Snack cherry tomatoes, they're still mostly holding up despite growing in and among the Sungolds I had to cut down due to late blight two weeks ago.

Old 09-11-2023, 09:02 PM

Pumpkin is growing. I think it should have time to get ready for Halloween. It just sprouted from my compost.

Maypop fruits have gotten bigger.

Fall peas are starting to come in.

Second crop of raspberries is also getting started.

7lb vegetable marrow.

Old 09-15-2023, 10:59 PM

Tomatoes still in ok shape. Whether it's because these varieties are more resistant to late blight than the sungolds, or because the weather is drier, the late blight isn't terribly damaging anymore (although still spreading slowly).

Okra has been pretty dismal this year. I think warm weather in August matters a fair bit for this - in 2021 and 2022, Oakville mean temps were 22-24C (72-75F), this year, August was only 17.2C (63F) here in Centre Wellington. So far only about 1 pod per plant, the plants are small and most flowers/pods just rotted away. Couple figs in front of the okra.

Yacon - these are about 5ft tall. Last year (first time growing them) I planted them in a bad spot and they got overgrown with tomatoes, this year they look much more promising.

Zucchini still in decent shape. SVB and mildew aren't too much of an issue despite being late in the season.

Butternut squash

Need to figure out what I'm gonna do with all these peppers...

Eggplants

Rocoto pepper plants are huge (they're the ones behind the containerized plants with ripe fruits). About 5ft tall and 5ft wide.

Stems are very sturdy for a 6 month old plant.

Tried growing lettuce for fall, may have planted a bit too early since the curly leaf lettuce bolted. The romaine lettuce hasn't bolted, but is slower growing. Kale is doing well, aside from some cabbage worm damage.

Passionflowers

Old 09-17-2023, 05:11 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Need to figure out what I'm gonna do with all these peppers...
Do you have a dehydrator? You can make pepper flakes and give some away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden