Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2023, 09:21 PM

5,886 posts, read 6,091,347 times

Advertisements

Harvests from the last week or so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2023, 06:09 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
My beefsteaks yield 2 tomatoes the rest are all green. Same with the neighbors - all green this year.

Old 08-11-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
My beefsteaks yield 2 tomatoes the rest are all green. Same with the neighbors - all green this year.
I've picked 4 from my 3 beefsteak plants so far. They were 18oz, 11oz, 5oz and 4oz. I'm about to pick 2-3 more this afternoon though.

Also got a 14oz tomato from my Mountain Merit plant, which is not supposed to be a beefsteak variety, but some of the fruits this year look rather large. Typically they should only be 8-10oz.

Old 08-11-2023, 10:07 PM

I have some pepper plants that are not turning out how the seed packet described them. They were supposed to be Stuffing Scotch Bonnet, which is heatless, but I just taste the first fruit, and it's very much not heatless. I haven't tried any super hots yet (ghosts, reapers, scorpions, moruga, etc) but I have tried a regular scotch bonnet, and this one was probably about on par with that. It's hotter than my next hottest pepper, called Targu Mures, which is supposed to be a little over 50,000 SHU.

Not sure if the two other plants I grew from the same batch of seeds are also gonna be hot like that.

This is the plant I tasted

The second plant - first fruits on it are getting ripe...

And the third plant.

In other news, got another nice little cluster of passionflowers blooming at the same spot on the vine.

Old 08-11-2023, 10:17 PM

20oz tomato, new record for the season. Not sure if they'll get bigger than this though, most of them look around 10-18oz.

Nice big Rosa Bianca eggplant.

And lots of cucumbers... Gonna have to make pickles in the next couple days because I expect to pick at least half a dozen more on Sunday too.

Old 08-13-2023, 08:47 AM

Guatemalan Green Squash starting to set fruit. I was worried these got cross-pollinated with my butternut squash when I saved seeds last year because the fruits that started to grow on what I thought was the Green Squash vine was turning out like butternut, but it turns out I just got the vines mixed up and now the vine I thought was butternut is setting Green Squash, so they didn't get hybridized after all. I'm glad because I was starting to run low on the original seeds, which can be hard to source (my original source stopped carrying them, only one place seeds to sell them now). These typically set fruit a bit later than butternut, but often set fruit more heavily.

Old 08-14-2023, 04:49 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Guatemalan Green Squash starting to set fruit. I was worried these got cross-pollinated with my butternut squash when I saved seeds last year because the fruits that started to grow on what I thought was the Green Squash vine was turning out like butternut, but it turns out I just got the vines mixed up and now the vine I thought was butternut is setting Green Squash, so they didn't get hybridized after all. I'm glad because I was starting to run low on the original seeds, which can be hard to source (my original source stopped carrying them, only one place seeds to sell them now). These typically set fruit a bit later than butternut, but often set fruit more heavily.
That looks very similar to the Butternut Squash.

Old 08-14-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That looks very similar to the Butternut Squash.
Yeah, it does, but the colour is different, and it's also not as watery, and sweeter and richer tasting than butternut, with some spinach/chard "green" taste undertones.

After a few months of curing, the skin turns from green to beige. These photos were taken in February 2023.

Uncooked, the flesh is dark green.

And then turns almost black after baking.

Unlike butternuts, where the vines tend to die back after ripening the first set of fruits, these Guatemalan squashes just produce a second set of fruits in early fall and only die back with the first frost.

Old 08-14-2023, 09:25 AM

Picked a big vegetable marrow squash, over 5 lbs. It's a variety of summer squash, but it's meant to be eaten at a more mature stage compared to zucchini which is eaten when the fruit is immature.

More zucchini and 2 lbs of sungold cherry tomatoes.

Lots more still on the plant.

Eastern black swallowtail caterpillar on parsley going to seed.

9 varieties of peppers, 3 varieties of eggplants, 2 of tomatoes, plus cucumbers and green beans.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:04 AM

Weekly harvests update

14.8 lbs (+4.8 lbs) of eggplants

8.2 lbs (+3.4 lbs) of cherry tomatoes
5.9 lbs (+4.2 lbs) of slicer tomatoes
14.1 lbs (+7.6 lbs) tomatoes overall

4.2 lbs (+2.4 lbs) of red/orange peppers
3.5 lbs (+1.1 lbs ) of white peppers
5.5 lbs (+1.7 lbs) of green peppers
13.3 lbs (+5.3 lbs) peppers overall

9.9 lbs (+3.8 lbs) of zucchini

5.3 lbs (+5.3 lbs) of vegetable marrow

13.8 lbs (+8.4 lbs) of cucumbers

2.8 lbs (+1.4 lbs) of green beans

3.4 lbs (+0.1 lbs) of peas

12.6 lbs (+0.8 lbs) of raspberries

1.2 lbs of alpine strawberries

0.8 lbs (+0.2 lbs) of figs

+37.7 lbs in the past week.

Spring/early summer succession of peas is done. Late summer/fall succession of peas is just starting to flower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden