Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 09:34 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times

Advertisements

YES, Cover them with plastic. You can build a quick 'hoop house" (think 'quonset hut' look) out of PVC pipe or even a small roll of fencing and cover it with the plastic; that will keep the plastic off of the plants. Cover them while they are still warm, don't wait for temps to drop so that you maintain the heat and have a mini-greenhouse effect. Even sticks to hold up the plastic will help. Make sure that the ends of the plastic are buried in the dirt or weighted somehow so no stray cold breeze gets through!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 12:57 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Those zucchini, and peppers are getting too tall and spindly. They need artificial light.

Try fluorescent bulbs a few inches above them
Why LEDs? - HomeGrownLights.com This is just a sample link. I have been waiting to see LED prices come down some more, but they are getting close to attractive.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:49 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,080 times
Well, we are currently under a freeze warning. Glad I have not planted my plants yet, guess they will be snug as a rug in my utility room tonight!

Old 04-06-2009, 04:30 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
I'm trying some planting this year. I've had a couple things out for about a month already. Something is eating my green beans. Is there a way besides pesticides to stop it? This is my first time growing anything. I've never actually had a fresh veggie. Is that sad? Anyway, hubby finally got a job, so we are going to get some materials for raised gardens soon. We have a very long planting season here in southern California.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:19 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
YES, Cover them with plastic. You can build a quick 'hoop house" (think 'quonset hut' look) out of PVC pipe or even a small roll of fencing and cover it with the plastic; that will keep the plastic off of the plants. Cover them while they are still warm, don't wait for temps to drop so that you maintain the heat and have a mini-greenhouse effect. Even sticks to hold up the plastic will help. Make sure that the ends of the plastic are buried in the dirt or weighted somehow so no stray cold breeze gets through!
Thank you. Hubby did it but I went and checked it out to make sure the plastic is barely touching the plant. He staked the plastic with nails (you gotta love Carolina clay!) so I couldn't pull the plastic off if I wanted to. Tonight it is only 40 degrees but it is pretty blustery. I had him bring in the peppers, spices and the potted strawberry, since if the frost tomorrow doesn't kill them, the wind will bruise them. And the strawberries are already out. They're calling for 34 here tomorrow night, but it's been known to hit in the 2o's when they call for 30's.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:29 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I had just planted my roma, grape and cherry tomatoes over the weekend and now there are calling for a freeze Tuesday night! I also planted some oregano, basil, red bell peppers and yellow banana peppers but these were all in pots or planters so I can bring them into the garage. What do I do with my tomatoes! The roma and cherry are in cages...if I put some plastic over the cages without touching the tomatoes, do you think that will be alright? I knew I should have waited for another week or two! BTW, I'm in zone 7b.
I see I'm not the only impatient one when it is time to plant. Just don't let stuff fry under the plastic the next day if the sun is out.....either extreme can do them in.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:50 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I see I'm not the only impatient one when it is time to plant. Just don't let stuff fry under the plastic the next day if the sun is out.....either extreme can do them in.
Looks like I have to uncover them before I go to work. If I leave it to the Mister, they just might do that. I am hoping we have another bumper crop...I guess HE's the one that's excited since it was his idea to get it over the weekend.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:04 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
I used to start tiny tomato transplants early and use gallon milk jugs over them. I cut the bottom out and buried them a little bit so they stayed put with some stakes around them. At night I just put the cap on. The jugs helped warm the soil and get the plants to put down a good root system early. By the time they were to big for the jug the weather was fine with out them. I put out up to 1500 plants a year but only a few real early for private use. Everything was staked as the commercial fields are to keep the tomatoes clean and away from ground crawling insects.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:03 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
My tomatoes are coming in well. This is my first time growing anything. They are pretty close to turning red. Man, I love living in southern California. Well, not really, but already having tomatoes is nice.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:44 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
Wow you have maters almost ready in your garden when most of us don't even have the planting done yet. Enjoy for us too please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden