Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:36 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,323,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Jude, has it occurred to you that maybe, because of the weather, they put that dish out on the hill temporarily? Maybe when the weather clears, they intend to move it to the roof.

At any rate, I would not live in a place where the neighbors need to be consulted then I want to do something in my yard. It just isn't worth it.
That's a good point-I thought that dishes needed to be up at high by the gutter.
I know in my neighborhood-including mine-all the dishes are high-all by a gutter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 07:32 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,862,040 times
I have a dish up on the roof and it's a big pain in the a$$ to have to climb up the ladder all winter to clean it off when I lose reception. If I had it to do over, it would be placed in a little more convenient spot.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:30 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,544,430 times
I have a mobile home with a trailer tongue facing south and no trees in the way. I had the installer mount the dish to the steel tongue. This reduces the wind hitting the dish and, should the need arise, remove the dish just in case. Because of how and where it's mounted, it's survived two hurricanes without damage or realignment. Higher isn't always better.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:34 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
And that's why some people would never live in an HOA, why we hear stories of HOA boards stepping on people's yard with a ruler to measure the length of their grass, of boards issuing huge fines because a weed managed to take root in someone's yard, of 80 something year old lady getting kicked out of her home that her and her late husband paid out in full, or telling a Marine vet he can't have US Marine stickers on his personal vehicle. Death to HOAs and the communist who support them.

I'm with you Dave. I don't need some fascist overlords to tell me how to manage my small parcel of this earth that I paid for with my hard earned money. HOA in a condo building is one thing, but I could never own a piece of land in an "HOA neighborhood"...maybe that's the libertarian in me.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,544,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
I'm with you Dave. I don't need some fascist overlords to tell me how to manage my small parcel of this earth that I paid for with my hard earned money. HOA in a condo building is one thing, but I could never own a piece of land in an "HOA neighborhood"...maybe that's the libertarian in me.
When I agreed to move my trailer into this trailer park, I agreed to live by their rules because it is their land. Same for when I lived in apartments. But if you own the home and the land then you should be able to paint your home whatever color you want without having to get permission from a board first. If I want to plant bushes or trees on my property then the only people I should check with first is the utility companies to ensure my plants' roots won't grab or pull any water or power lines. If I want to put a Christmas Nativity Scene in my front yard for Christmas, I shouldn't have to read a rule book to see if it's legal. If I want to get my hands dirty by changing my car's oil and filter on my driveway then I should be able to do so as long as I capture the oil and bring it to an auto shop for proper disposal. If I hold a big family crawfish boil (it's a cajun thing) and there isn't enough parking available in my drive way, then my family should be allowed to park in my yard if I let them. And if the OP decides to grow plants to block his neighbor's dish, that's his right as well but if he's doing it to intentionally block his neighbor's dish then that's his right to be a complete selfcentered AH and will be intentionally starting a neighbor feud rather than politely ask the neighbor about the dish without getting ugly.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:26 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,312,313 times
Seek therapy.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:36 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,797,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
You all have beat me up pretty good. My venting is done. I got out and fertilized my Leyland cypress trees and by the end of the summer, they should screen quite a bit. Also another cypress planted in the right spot will completly tale care of it.

I don't know if some of you read that we actually maintained this landscaped mound together. There was always conversation and concern as to how to make it look appealing. I am betting that the dish installer convinced them to put it there.

The amusing thing is that they have a Leyland Cypress about two feet in front of the dish. In two years, it will interfer with their reception.

I am not mad, because "They know not what they do".
As is so often the case, a lack of communication is the problem that makes us mad, especially between friends! Our dish installer argued with us about where to put the dish. He originally put in our side yard in the winter. I was concerned about a tree that currently had no leaves. Sure enough, come spring , our reception sucked as the tree leafed out and drooped, interfering with the signal. They came out and moved it. Although it was the same guy who installed it the first time, he blamed it on "whoever put it there."

Anyhoo, my advice:

Hey Jude, don't make it bad
Take a sad song and make it better
Remember to let [your neighbor] into your heart
Then you can start to make it better
(sounds like you already have!)

YouTube - The Beatles - Hey Jude

Old 03-06-2010, 06:18 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,527,920 times
Default Dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
As is so often the case, a lack of communication is the problem that makes us mad, especially between friends! Our dish installer argued with us about where to put the dish. He originally put in our side yard in the winter. I was concerned about a tree that currently had no leaves. Sure enough, come spring , our reception sucked as the tree leafed out and drooped, interfering with the signal. They came out and moved it. Although it was the same guy who installed it the first time, he blamed it on "whoever put it there."

Anyhoo, my advice:

Hey Jude, don't make it bad
Take a sad song and make it better
Remember to let [your neighbor] into your heart
Then you can start to make it better
(sounds like you already have!)

YouTube - The Beatles - Hey Jude

Love it! You are right on when you are saying the above tree leafing out, plus in our case, a tree limb may fall. it is directly under a tree that is dying and likely to drop some branches.
We are going over to see them today and mention to them that we are making some changes to our own landscaping. We know they have some work to do on drainage and what can we do to make this area look nice.

You are also right about the installer probably taking the easy way out.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:51 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,680 times
I used get stoked about things like this when I was younger, and I am not proud of it. What an idiot I used to be - I am talking about things that are legal, but might not be what I wanted have within my view, like it was any of my business to tell someone else how they should enjoy their life and property. But there you go.

My solution ultimately, well, besides just growing up and acting like a mature adult, was to buy places with the privacy I wanted, rather than try to impose my will on neighbors. In the place where I am typing this right now, my nearest neighbor is over two miles away, which means I control pretty much everything I see. My particular requirements for visual enjoyment and privacy are simply not someone else's problem. I told dh that if we ever had to move back to a normal neighborhood, we'd have to try really hard to not be hell to live next to

You know what you need to do - tell your neighbor you'd like to discuss a better placement for his dish. You better have a plan ready first to suggest to him/her. If it were me, I'd let them know you wanted to talk about a different approach for their dish, be nicer to them than hot butter on bread while you are trying to impose what you want instead of what they chose, and maybe do it over a brilliantly wonderful meal you cook up for them yourself.

And while you negotiate over dinner, dessert and coffe, make sure you talk to them like they don't have to do anything you want, as though it really is your job to persuade them as to why your solution X would work for BOTH of you. Because they truly don't have to consider your wishes at all. If I heard a neighbor was upset with me for such a thing, and realized that they'd chosen to no longer be friendly to me just because the way I chose to live my life on my own property was offensive to them visually, I'd think they were too controlling to be worthy of any consideration in the future.

There are tons of nice people out there - be one to them, and see if you can persuade them to take a different approach. Or just live and let live, and find a way to be happy that doesn't require something be done or not done by a stranger who just happens to live next door. You might also reflect on why, after all the other times they worked with you and consider your requests, that they have chosen to not approach you about this. Might be that they didn't think it was a big deal at all; might be because you need to soften your approach when making demands that impact the others use and enjoyment of their property. I don't know why they left you out of the loop this time, and neither do you from what I read in your posts.

Good luck & hope you find a way to reconcile this. Right now you are trying to take the easy way out and just be angry as though you really had a reason to feel unfairly treated. It is your choice to be unhappy with their choice that is causing your misery right now, so step up to the plate and either see what might be done to fix it or forget about it.

Last edited by sugarsugar; 03-06-2010 at 03:04 PM..

Old 03-07-2010, 06:43 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I still don't get the part about not having any guidelines from the HOA. Either this is covered in the bylaws or it isn't. If it isn't, then you better read it carefully and see what other surprises are in store for you. Next week, their inlaws might be parking their single wide back there.

This is why I never want to live in one of those developements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden