Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 03:05 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,525,886 times

Advertisements

Finally we can end this thread. Talked to my neighbor and it was the installer who steered him in the direction which caused soooooooooo much anger and disdain on this subject.
We are taking out some low growing shrubs and replacing them with laurapetulem (sp) a variety that can grow as high as twelve feet. We are even offering the neighbor/ friend the discarded shrubs if he would like. There. I am happy. Now you all can go and find another person to "dish" your haughty contempt. .......just kidding I love you all.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 05:05 PM

148 posts, read 550,287 times
Its their back yard. Friend or no friend they dont need to talk to you about what they choose to do with the yard. Why jerks?????Do you always do whatever everyone else does???? So your not going to be friendly no more because they did not get your insight about this. Shame on you.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:36 PM

433 posts, read 1,142,904 times
Luvvarkansas - I have a grapevine on the chainlink and she has a peach tree on her side. The problem is cleaning in this 4 inch wide space between the fences. I couldn't put down weed killer to keep the weeds from coming up because it would kill plants on both sides. In most places and probably here too you offset a wood fence on your property so that you can maintain the other side of it. It's easy to just weedeat around a chainlink on each side. A chainlink fence you can share with your neighbors(I share the fence on the other side of my yard) but she told me that she is uncomfortable with her neighbors being able to see in her house as she is a single woman. She's not messy. Just between the fence is. It is technically HER property but because she doesn't see it it doesn't bother her. The chainlink fence is placed on the property line.
Houston3 - If I remove that length of fence I would have an open area to the backyard that I would prefer not to have plus I would have to get rid of a very nice grapevine.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:35 AM

501 posts, read 1,296,056 times
That is good news - sounds like it ended well for both of you.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:19 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Why not just take down the chain link fence??? After all there is now a tall wood fence right next to it....

Problem solved....
I'm thinking if I were him I'd leave it....wood fences rot, and critters can break the bottoms....I'd leave it up so no dogs could come through to my side.

But it is a thought.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawk57 View Post
Luvvarkansas - I have a grapevine on the chainlink and she has a peach tree on her side. The problem is cleaning in this 4 inch wide space between the fences. I couldn't put down weed killer to keep the weeds from coming up because it would kill plants on both sides.
How long is the area you're talking about?

They make Roundup and such as that now with foaming action sprayers, which keeps the stuff from blowing around. Also, I saw somewhere once where someone made a little "funnel" type thing to go around the end of their sprayer so the could just set it down on top of what they wanted to spray and keep it from blowing around. Maybe you could come up with something like that.

Also, you have to get Roundup on the leaves of a plant to kill it (with the exception of cutting it and applying the Roundup to a raw stub), so I'm thinking it wouldn't be hard to spray underneath the grapevine (all the grapevines I've ever seen on chain link fences have leaves only on the top of the fence) through your fence....very carefully and on a very still day. Then how a thick mulch of gravel? Maybe some landscaping fabric underneath? Would be a lot of work in the beginning, but wouldn't have to be repeated, except for the occasional stray weed that managed to get through.

As for the occasional trash blowing in, I don't know, just have to go out there and get it, I guess. Get some kind of picker-upper to reach over with, if you can, or use a blower-vac for paper. I feel for ya....that would bug me, too.

I'm thinking, if she put up a fence only 4 inches from yours, and yours has a grapevine on it, that grapevine is going to hold moisture and is going to rot her fence. It's bound to be touching it, huh?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:46 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
How would you like them...telling you what you can and cannot do on your property...as other posters said...get over it and to ruin a friendship over this is IMHO very immature. GEESH!!! Some folks... such as complaining about a neighbor having chimes??? Don't sweat the little things...worry/get mad over something important!!!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:07 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,525,886 times
Some of you are like the energizer bunny with this post. If you would check my last post you will see the situation is resolved and we are getting on with our lives.......how about you all.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
Some of you are like the energizer bunny with this post. If you would check my last post you will see the situation is resolved and we are getting on with our lives.......how about you all.
Lots of times people just read the first post and hit "reply".

A year from now someone might come along for the first time, read this post, and reply....then it moves back up to the front of the line and people will start discussing it all over again!

Old 03-11-2010, 11:14 AM

633 posts, read 1,949,994 times
Get back to your garden and shape the proper hedge
Attached Thumbnails
Neighbor put satellite dish smack in middle of landscaping-problem-neighbor.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden