Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 11:24 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,904 times

Advertisements

I am really upset by my neighbor. They did not even discuss with us beforehand. We are good neighbors and certainly would ask if it would be okay. We have even go so far as to go halves in what we thought was taking down a tree which is on their property. As it turned out they got someone who said the tree could be saved (it was 2/3 dead), and they topped it off and cleaned up some dead branches. It looks terrible. Now right next to the monster tree is a five foot pole with a dish attached. We have a beautiful deck and use it often......had a wonderful view.
We have our dish attached to the house as do our other neighbors. Maybe the dish guy was lazy and didn't want to go up a ladder in the cold.

It is pointless to check with HOA because it is not yet turned over to the homeowner's and the builder would not get involved. I don't want to make enemies with them. But I feel they were complete jerks to do this without mentioning anything to us. Oh they did leave a message on our machine yesterday saying they wanted to "talk" to us about something. Well, that's nice. I come come and there it is already.

We just had them over for a super bowl party.

I know it can be screened with some Leyland cypress. But I will never feel friendly to them again.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 11:48 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
I am really upset by my neighbor. They did not even discuss with us beforehand. We are good neighbors and certainly would ask if it would be okay. We have even go so far as to go halves in what we thought was taking down a tree which is on their property. As it turned out they got someone who said the tree could be saved (it was 2/3 dead), and they topped it off and cleaned up some dead branches. It looks terrible. Now right next to the monster tree is a five foot pole with a dish attached. We have a beautiful deck and use it often......had a wonderful view.
We have our dish attached to the house as do our other neighbors. Maybe the dish guy was lazy and didn't want to go up a ladder in the cold.

It is pointless to check with HOA because it is not yet turned over to the homeowner's and the builder would not get involved. I don't want to make enemies with them. But I feel they were complete jerks to do this without mentioning anything to us. Oh they did leave a message on our machine yesterday saying they wanted to "talk" to us about something. Well, that's nice. I come come and there it is already.

I know it can be screened with some Leyland cypress. But I will never feel friendly to them again.
Their backyard is not your view... It's their backyard...

I can't believe you said the last one I bolded...

Life is short as it is... Don't let the little things bother you so much...

Old 02-26-2010, 12:07 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
If you can afford it, have a landscaper come in and give you some ideas to block the dish. With enough landscaping, you won't have to look at them or their dish. Since you considered them friends, I would not write them off. They do have the right to put a dish up in their backyard and it probably was their choice not to attach it to the house. Once you have a nice view in your yard, you can go back to being friends.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:27 PM

472 posts, read 740,881 times
If the dish has to look across your yard to acquire the satellite, you could put in some really tall trees to block its view. That would show 'em.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:30 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
You are telling them what to put in thier yard? Are you serious?

Old 02-26-2010, 12:50 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,989 times
I had a neighbor that called me every vile cuss word you can think of because I cut down a hedge along MY driveway 6 feet inside MY property line. She said she bought her house because the hedge gave privacy into her back yard. Eleven years of hell from this woman finally ended when she sold and moved.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:03 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,376 times
Well, I am going to sympathize with Jude1948. I know it's the in the neighbor's yard, but Jude has to look at the ugly thing. I have neighbors close to me on each side, I use my deck alot,too..and it is not pleasant to have to look at their yards with all the kid toys,swing sets, play houses etc. let alone a sat dish. I let my forsythia bushes grow up along the railings so when I'm sitting down I don't see any of it. Of course it takes a long time for them to grow to that height. How about a well placed stockade,privacy fence on your side?

Old 02-26-2010, 01:05 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post

Boo-freakin-hooo!

If you want to be in control of what is in their yard buy their house.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:18 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Hey Jude...

Sorry to hear about your frustration. Truly bad neighbors can really suck.

You do need to remember though, that you cannot control what your neighbors do on their property - unless it's illegal. I would really hate to have one of my neighbors paint their house bright purple (like a house about half-mile from mine), but if they decided to I cannot force them not to.

Good luck!

Old 02-26-2010, 01:24 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Boo-freakin-hooo!

If you want to be in control of what is in their yard buy their house.
This is hilarious!!!

I was thinking paint the stinkn dish white like a daisy and paint the post green like a stem. It would be a beautiful giant daisy.

Oh boy! Doesn't that look great?

If I was him I would hang my underwear out there on my dish to dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden