Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 12:33 PM

161 posts, read 240,580 times

Advertisements

I had a septic replaced and ended up with an entire back yard of just dirt now. I am not a "lawn" guy. Not looking for the best lawn or the greenest i dont even mind if there are some weeds in it. Strange i know but the back yard is for my two dogs. I just need to have some grass in the yard plain and simple. What is the best way to go about this?
What kind of results can i expect if i just throw some seed down and water here and there?
Any insight would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 12:38 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliman91 View Post
I had a septic replaced and ended up with an entire back yard of just dirt now. I am not a "lawn" guy. Not looking for the best lawn or the greenest i dont even mind if there are some weeds in it. Strange i know but the back yard is for my two dogs. I just need to have some grass in the yard plain and simple. What is the best way to go about this?
What kind of results can i expect if i just throw some seed down and water here and there?
Any insight would be great.
Thanks in advance.
If I were to just throw some seed down and water here and there, I wouldn't expect much. I have two dogs, too. It's hard enough to keep a lawn looking decent if you start with sod. I can't imagine trying to get anything remotely decent with seed, unless you made sure your dogs couldn't get on it until after it was VERY well established.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:04 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,037 times
If you have a good size yard, I would have someone come do it for you. You will have to prep the ground. If it`s to hard, it won`t take. You`ll have to water it several times a day until you see the grass starting to come up. You wont be able to have dogs on it right away(or people).

Old 04-13-2010, 06:06 PM

I have no problem keeping the dogs off of it. Just want a low maintance lawn.I have never watered my lawn before and dont plan on starting. Guess my options are limited...

Old 04-13-2010, 06:22 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
If you can keep the dogs off it, you can do seed. I'm a 62 yr. old gal and I've done seed! I had a fence taken out plus bare spots in same back yard, and I got grass to grow. I paid a landscape place quite a bit to take out some overgrown bushes and replace them with small stuff (expensive) and I wasn't paying them to do the lawn.

Key is watering it, keep it wet, I used peat moss after I put the seed down. Do not let it get dry. I'm in NE Wisc. and I'm sorry but I forget what type of grass seed. Of course, I have easy soil (some sand content) so it isn't hard to turn over, worst thing was picking out small rocks along where the fence was. I did buy bags of top soil along with several bags of peat moss.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:54 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliman91 View Post
I have no problem keeping the dogs off of it. Just want a low maintance lawn.I have never watered my lawn before and dont plan on starting. Guess my options are limited...
Where do you live? I'm sure there are places you could get away with never watering your lawn, but if I tried that where I am, my lawn would be dead in three days.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:49 AM

Im in the St Louis area. I dont mind watering at the beginning to get it to grow just not the type of green thumb who has to always water their grass and manicure it ect. Just dont want a whole yard of weeds.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:15 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,468 times
Unless you live in an area where it rains at least once a week all summer long, you are going to have to water. If you aren't willing to do some work, and a lot of watering, put in all gravel.
As far as watering, it's easy and cheap to put in an automatic sprinkler system, but you will still need to spend at the least an hour a week doing yard work. If those things don't sound like somethng you are willing to do, then you need another option...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden