Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 12:23 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times

Advertisements

I've found a wealth of info on the Find a Grave site, and finally just joined it as a contributor! Sometimes when I'm in a cemetery looking for ancestors, I'll photograph everyone with that last name and look them up later. I'm finding that there are many listings without photos, and any contributor can upload them.

I feel like I've "done right" by adding some close relatives that were not on there at all -- and now I'm connecting them up with their relatives. My only complaint, is that I can only add a spouse or parent as a relative -- I'd love to connect up siblings and children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 02:22 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I've found a wealth of info on the Find a Grave site, and finally just joined it as a contributor! Sometimes when I'm in a cemetery looking for ancestors, I'll photograph everyone with that last name and look them up later. I'm finding that there are many listings without photos, and any contributor can upload them.

I feel like I've "done right" by adding some close relatives that were not on there at all -- and now I'm connecting them up with their relatives. My only complaint, is that I can only add a spouse or parent as a relative -- I'd love to connect up siblings and children.
You can link children, you just have to link the child's memorial to the parents, rather than the other way around.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:24 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
I followed a hint on Ancestry which led me to the last name of my Grandfather's second wife. I knew only her first name and how my grandmother felt about her. Now I know her maiden name and that she was born in Kentucky. It is interesting that grandma and all her family and my parents are all in the same cemitary. And all my grandfathers relatives except one as well. My grandfather and his second wife are all alone at a different one.

I'll have to leave a flower for my parents and grandma.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:50 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,096,767 times
I first came across this site when I used to google myself. I share the same name with my Grandpa. Find A Grave is usually the second or third search result when I type in my name. It has been cool to look up my great grandparents and other relatives that I have heard about from my Dad. Pretty cool site.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:47 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I get so many requests for photographs -- I just joined this summer. I finally had to narrow it down to just the burying ground in this one town. I see so many requests go unfulfilled that I wish I had the energy to go driving all around looking for them. These old New England cemeteries are deteriorating fast and it's crucial that the stones be photographed.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:57 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,911,761 times
I joined as a contributor after getting some good information from it. I don't live near any family at all so it's nice to be able to virtually "visit" relatives graves and I like being able to help out and take photos of requests near me.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:56 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You can link children, you just have to link the child's memorial to the parents, rather than the other way around.
Yeah, but then I'd have to make that request. I just added my mother and grandmother and was able to link them. But *I* can't link all my aunts and uncles to my grandmother - I have to send a bunch of requests in. It explains when I find a relative, why they might only have a few of their children linked to them.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:53 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I get so many requests for photographs -- I just joined this summer. I finally had to narrow it down to just the burying ground in this one town. I see so many requests go unfulfilled that I wish I had the energy to go driving all around looking for them. These old New England cemeteries are deteriorating fast and it's crucial that the stones be photographed.
I fully understand what you mean! I visited a small cemetery in Byfield that sits next to a church that's now a private home, and I had to dig through poison ivy to find the stone I was looking for. It's a somewhat small cemetery, but was too large for me to document and photograph every marker -- I really wanted to for the sake of others whose ancestors are there. If I lived near there (now in FL), I would make it a summer project to don the poison-ivy-proof clothing and bring my notebook and camera - I don't know if there's any group that cares for the cemetery, so it may "disappear" under greenery in the not-too-distant future.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:10 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I fully understand what you mean! I visited a small cemetery in Byfield that sits next to a church that's now a private home, and I had to dig through poison ivy to find the stone I was looking for. It's a somewhat small cemetery, but was too large for me to document and photograph every marker -- I really wanted to for the sake of others whose ancestors are there. If I lived near there (now in FL), I would make it a summer project to don the poison-ivy-proof clothing and bring my notebook and camera - I don't know if there's any group that cares for the cemetery, so it may "disappear" under greenery in the not-too-distant future.
OMG. Come back during the summer. I get requests for Byfield, Newbury, Newburyport, Rowley, Amesbury, Salisbury--you know the area. I prowled through one cemetery in Newbury that was somewhat overgrown and that's when I decided to join Find A Grave. NO ONE responds to the requests for those towns, it seems.

I did a few graves in Seabrook NH but that cemetery is huge and it took a long time. Salisbury has one cemetery that ONE person on the historical society is trying to maintain--he digs up the old stones, cleans them and stands them up again. There is one area of the cemetery near the entrance that looks bare; he says those stones have SUNK! Sure enough, over the centuries they have sunk down under the ground.

There is also a smallpox cemetery that is on someone's private property that only a few people know about and they ALL need to be photographed. Then there is a True Cemetery. I haven't even gone there yet.

Maybe I will take on the Rowley cemetery. It has meaning because we were married in Rowley.

These are the burying grounds of many the first settlers in New England--anyone looking for a summer time hobby could be doing this. It's important.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:13 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post

My sister does this. She's photographed hundreds of graves and posted them on the site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy