Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 12:02 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My sister gave my niece my grandfather's name as a middle name -- his name was Garman. And my nephew was given my father's name as middle -- John.

But no one has ever used my 2nd great grandfathers name. Ananius Jeremiah. His siblings? Susan, Barbara and George.... All we can think of is it must have been a bad labor...
You believe your daughter won't get lost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 12:09 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
We have a tradition of using family last names for middle names in my family, its been going on for 5 generations now.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:49 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I have a male ancestor whose first name was Freedom, He was born right after the American Revolution. Pretty cool for 1778.

A lot of my ancestors on my Dad's side had biblical names: Nehemiah, Samuel, Daniel, Sarah, Jedediah, Abel, Deborah, etc.

Most of the ancestors on my Mom's father's side had very repetitive Irish Catholic names. I really got sick of trying to figure out all the Daniel Patricks, Michael Patricks and Mary Margarets.

I really like the old tradition of giving the child, male or female, the mother's maiden name as the middle name. That happened a lot in my family, but ended in the 20th century.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:17 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
my brother followed the old italian being called by the middle name thing ...... for example, paul anthony would be tony ..... this is very popular in my family tree and i've come across it quite a bit

also, one of his kids has his middle name as the last name of the maternal grandmother

another has the first name from our family tree - about 6 generations back

for me on both side of my family james is a common middle name and I followed suit with my son .... my daughters middle name is also a family name on my side and my wifes side .... both first names are just names we like and we call them by their first name

Old 06-29-2011, 12:41 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,218 times
I once figured out what my name would have been had Norwegian naming practices of the mid 19th century not changed (and had carried across the Atlantic). The surname was patronymic, and the given name was generally given for the names of the child's grandparents. For example, my first son would be named after my father, second son after my wife's father, third son after me (daughters generally got similar treatment). So, I would have likely been "Asle Aslesen", and my son would also be Asle Aslesen.

Whew, dodged that bullet.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:01 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
You believe your daughter won't get lost?
I laugh every time I see one of those ads.... And it's my niece. I guess it could be worse -- her middle name could be Tom-Tom.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:27 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
I would like to see the return of females being given female names, instead of male names or surnames that sound male.

Seems unfair to the girls. Plus, if things continue as they have, girls will be called George and Howard some day, and we'll have to resort to just numbering the boys.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:12 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I would like to see the return of females being given female names, instead of male names or surnames that sound male.

Seems unfair to the girls. Plus, if things continue as they have, girls will be called George and Howard some day, and we'll have to resort to just numbering the boys.
like George Forman did? he named all of his sons "George," & then numbered them!!!

Old 06-30-2011, 03:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
We have a tradition that every male gets one (of about 10) old family first names. All of them Old Testament Biblical. Either as the first or middle name. It's kind of cool but very un-original. (Some of the older women have one of the names as well.)

If you holler out Levi! at a family bar-b-q, ten guys will look up. Needless to say, we're big on nick-names.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:02 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Nah -- we'll just revert back to Beverly and Leslie being male names....

And my name is simple as get out -- and I am amazed when someone gets it right.... how difficult is Jean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy