Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:21 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

I understand that. But if the name is strange, weird, or ugly you will be doing your child a disservice.

We used my husband's first name as a middle name for our son. My husband's name is "David" - but I have to say that if he had an unattractive name, I would not have done this.

Again, naming your child should be a combination of psychology, taste, and social research. I think that it's serious business.
Again. this is not about showing how obscure or creative you can be.
It's about a child.

Making up a weird and difficult to pronounce name is the wrong way to be creative.
However so is naming your child Hephzibah or Hezekiah because you want to show off your Mayflower roots.

There are some God Awful names in my family tree. They should stay there, in the tree.
I am also not in favor of naming a child a name that is ultra popular. I would never want to have the same name as six other children in my class!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 07:36 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I understand that. But if the name is strange, weird, or ugly you will be doing your child a disservice.

We used my husband's first name as a middle name for our son. My husband's name is "David" - but I have to say that if he had an unattractive name, I would not have done this.

Again, naming your child should be a combination of psychology, taste, and social research. I think that it's serious business.
Again. this is not about showing how obscure or creative you can be.
It's about a child.

Making up a weird and difficult to pronounce name is the wrong way to be creative.
However so is naming your child Hephzibah or Hezekiah because you want to show off your Mayflower roots.

There are some God Awful names in my family tree. They should stay there, in the tree.
I am also not in favor of naming a child a name that is ultra popular. I would never want to have the same name as six other children in my class!
Thank you. That wasn't our plan. I realize we'd be naming a child. I previously gave names I would NOT use. There are many nice names in the tree also.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:03 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Blues View Post
The tradition of naming someone after another branch in their family tree, as they used to do in Colonial American, particularly New England, where can find such names as Armstrong Winthrop White (all Mayflower family surnames) and names that reflect qualities like Patience and Prudence. Or the Scots-Irish in Appalachia that named their kids with scottish names like Andrew/Nell, or the Catholics and Dutch who named their kids either after Saints and important bibilical personages, or after great Protestant reformers, like Mary, Sarah, Martin and Mark.
You still get the Colonial names in many parts of the South. We had playgroup friends whose boys were Anderson (family name) (lastname) and Heyward (samefamily name) (lastname).
My son has a traditional manly-man name, which is also a family name, and which is also a saint's name. Then we followed the fine tradition of giving him a family middle name that would thoroughly mortify him as a teen (no, not Shirley or Lesley), but not be awful on a business card, so he's pretty well covered.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:40 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Yes, I don't like Addison. One of my high school friends named her daughter Addison.

I'm not a fan of the 'dens either - Aiden, Jayden, Cayden, etc.
Nor I of the Ja- and La- names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
My ancestors on both sides were Puritans. I know its crazy but I love love so many names in my tree. In one family I had:
Thankful, Patience, Rememberance, Hopewell, Bethia, Freedom, Preserved, Silence, Hatevil (ok, this one is a bit much), Submit, and Mindwell. We did have our fair share of Sarahs, Abigails, and Nathaniels too though.
I think naming the children after a virtue is kinda cool, but people really don't do that anymore.
Cool names.

Quote:
...There are some God Awful names in my family tree. They should stay there, in the tree...

Old 07-21-2011, 09:08 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I once liked Aiden, but there are way too many little Aidens around now. The other "den" names are just made up. Not a fan.

2Kidsfor me. I think that Bethia is avery pretty and under used. Submit and Mindwell are a little sexist. I am assuming that these are girls names.

Some names from my tree - Grover, Cornelius, Tilson, Jeremiah and Freelove. Yes Freelove.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:25 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
I have Patience and Temporance on my family tree. There are probably other virtues to, but not that I can think of at the moment.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:18 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I have Patience and Temporance on my family tree. There are probably other virtues to, but not that I can think of at the moment.
DRAT, ya never, or at least---seldomly--- see anyone named, "Licentious". I always wanted an relative named Auntie Quated, Auntie Deluvian, or Auntie disestablishmentarianism. Dang!!! and there are those scoffers who say my mind works strangely. Go Figure!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:15 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
I once liked Aiden, but there are way too many little Aidens around now. The other "den" names are just made up. Not a fan.

2Kidsfor me. I think that Bethia is avery pretty and under used. Submit and Mindwell are a little sexist. I am assuming that these are girls names.

Some names from my tree - Grover, Cornelius, Tilson, Jeremiah and Freelove. Yes Freelove.
They meant those names in a religious sense, submit to or mind God.

Same with Freelove. That name was somewhat well used.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:09 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Freelove sounds like something from the 1960s.

I have a person on my family tree who was named Ovid. He was born in the 1930s. I wonder if he was named after the Roman author, or if the family just thought it sounded good.

Other odd names include Ozena, Ozro, Othal, Osta, Orrin/Orrie, Orval, Orpha/Alpha/Dalpha, Orlena, Oppie, Onslow, Omie/Oma, Vina/Viney, Oliff (girl's name), Oleta, Olden, Ofelia (after Hamlet play?), Odus, Odney, Octa, Ocie, Ocea, Obie, Oakley, Novena, Novais, Noma/Nona/Nolla/Nola, Noble (another virtue), Pleasant, Ninian (male), Nimrod (Bible name), Newt, Newraney, Nevada, Neva, Neoma/Neona, Cooke, Neldia, Natilla, Nave, Naymon, Narcissa (female), Napoleon, Mysel, Mylinda, Minerva, Murphy, Murl, Mourning (female).

I don't think I'd name my son Nimrod nowadays.

Anyway, I could go on a long time with the strange names.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 07-22-2011 at 11:24 AM..

Old 07-22-2011, 01:35 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,271 times
Speaking of names that sound strange to us now, I have an ancestor named Dorcas. I was kind of happy about this because I thought it would be easy to find information about her, who else would have a name like Dorcas. Unfortunately, it seems to have been a fairly popular name for girls among at least several families in New England in the 1700's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy