Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 02:27 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times

Advertisements

One of my family lines had 6 Charles, 7 Georges, 7 James, 16 Johns, 10 Josephs, 7 Samuels, 5 Thomas, and 8 Williams over 400 years. Nancy, Elizabeth, Sarah, and Mary were common as well, but not as much as the guys names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 02:29 PM

366 posts, read 774,976 times
My paternal family had a tradition where as the eldest son would be referenced as "Buddy" or "Bud." So, when I was a kid, fifty years ago, my Dad's oldest brother was my Uncle Buddy, and all many of my grandfather's (who was also called "Bud")cousins were called Cousin Bud or Cousin Buddy. The best part about being called "Buddy," is that it somehow always brought a smile or put a kind thought in your head. Unfortunately, in this brave, new world, our little family tradition is no longer: I am the last "Buddy" in the family.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:15 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Strangely though I can't recall ever hearing of any Abraham Lincolns.
Me either! Plenty of George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Andrew Jackson, Thomas Jefferson, and Jefferson Davis though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
My husband's cousin named their kid Sydney (girl). My friend said she knows a boy named Memphis. What in the world? Personally, I don't like that. Someone earlier said they knew someone who did places as middle names - places that meant something to the parents. I get that. I wouldn't do it, but I get it. Our cousins have never been to Brooklyn, Cheyenne, or Sydney. I think it's strange.
Maybe it's a family name. I named my daughter Cydney Jean; after my Dad and his Mom. My Dad is Sidney, named after his 4x great grandfather who was named after his 3x great grandfather and so on and so on all the way back to the 16th century in England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
Speaking of names that sound strange to us now, I have an ancestor named Dorcas. I was kind of happy about this because I thought it would be easy to find information about her, who else would have a name like Dorcas. Unfortunately, it seems to have been a fairly popular name for girls among at least several families in New England in the 1700's.
I have a couple of Dorcas' too on both sides. Apparently it's a very common name for that time period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I honestly don't have any children or hang out with teenagers, but I understand they're not going around in short shorts or teeny minis and midriff tops anymore...I could be wrong.
No offense, but you are wrong. My youngest is in middle school (6th-8th) and she is constantly showing me pics on facebook of her friends, and I have seriously seen streetwalkers wearing more than these children! Not to mention, she gets SOOOOOOOO mad when I don't let her dress like that, and she doesn't get it. Oh well, I'll be the mean Mom, to ensure she isn't dressing like a hootchie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't know of anyone under the name of 40 named George, William, Thomas, or WILBUR! That's awful! And if you name your daughter "Thankful" she won't be.
I know seriously about 15 friends (or their kids) with those names; ALL under 35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AishaGurl91 View Post
Amelia really isn't that old-fashioned. While it is my 97-year-old great-grandma's name, I've been hearing more and more baby Amelias. It's probably because Emily is so popular.
I think that movie "Night at the Muesum 2, Battle of the Smithsonian" might have something to do with that too. In it, Amelia Earhardt was one of the main strong characters and was looked on favorably, so what better name to name your daughter than after a strong positive freethinking revolutionary trendsetting woman like Earhardt(who had oh so much "moxy")?

Old 04-27-2012, 07:15 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Haha, my middle name is Lynne, and I was born in 1969. Growing up, all my friends my age had the same middle names:

Lynne (or Lynn) or Ann (or Anne) or Marie
Yes, Ann/Anne, Marie, and Lee/Lea also
they seem to be the next most popular

Old 04-27-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiansheng_g View Post
My paternal family had a tradition where as the eldest son would be referenced as "Buddy" or "Bud." So, when I was a kid, fifty years ago, my Dad's oldest brother was my Uncle Buddy, and all many of my grandfather's (who was also called "Bud")cousins were called Cousin Bud or Cousin Buddy. The best part about being called "Buddy," is that it somehow always brought a smile or put a kind thought in your head. Unfortunately, in this brave, new world, our little family tradition is no longer: I am the last "Buddy" in the family.
OMG! My half-brother (Arthur) called Bud by my dad..then everyone else started calling him that. he was born in the mid-40's. To my dad, all boys were called "Bud or Sam" whether that was their name or not

Old 04-27-2012, 07:21 PM

Amy Pond from Doctor who= Amelia

Old 04-27-2012, 09:46 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
First names for children go through fashionable trends just like clothes and hairstyles.

There is nothing wrong with names that sound old fashioned; old fashioned names come back into style. There is nothing wrong with naming children after older family relations or ancestors, that is a tradition in many families ... especially among certain ethnic and religious groups like Italians, Irish, and Jews.

Some towns or geological features or flora have pretty sounding names for girls ... I cannot understand why someone would object to that. Sydney sounds like a fine name to me, as does Chelsea, and even Paris. Girls names like Brooke, Heather, Dale, etc. are attractive names to me.

Fashionable names of my grandparents generation:

Albert, Wilbur, Walter, George, Thomas, Horace, Andrew, Mary, Lillian, Anna, Constance, Martha, Clara, Gertrude ...

My parents generation:

Charles, Harry, Howard, Marvin, Burt, Douglas, Cynthia, Dorothy, Shirley, Marilyn, Nancy, Judy ...

My generation:

Michael, Stephen, Brian, Greg, Daniel, Mark, Allen, Jay, Susan, Michelle, Stephanie, Karen, Barbara, Linda, Lisa, Melissa ...

... then in the '80's and '90's came all those "J" names: Jennifer, Jessica, Jasmine, Janine, Justin, Joshua, Jeremy, Jared, Jordan ...

Old 04-28-2012, 06:57 AM

327 posts, read 644,461 times
They need to stop bringing back old names.

Because like Deon Cole says, it's hard to get excited about having sex with Gladys

Deon Cole - Old Names - Video Clip | Comedy Centrals Jokes.com

Old 04-30-2012, 10:02 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
One thing Baby Boomer parents did get right - naming kids names that they would actually like, instead of weird names, boys names for girls, girls names for boys, colors, states and hopelessly old-fashioned names.
Most boomer, like Mark, and me (not really Warren) like our names.

Here are some that I've never heard anyone complain about.
Boomer names are due for a come back, just like MCM furniture.

Boys Girls

Steven Susan
Kevin Karen
Scott Lori
Todd Debbie
Wayne Cheryl
Mark Michele
Brad Patti
Brian Donna
Lance Denise
Darren Kathy
Dean Colleen
Jeffrey Dawn
Alan Robyn
Erik Renee
David Christi
Sean Eileen/ Ellen
Gary Renee
Grant Gail
Paul Lynn
Jay Jill
Joel Julie
Craig Tina
Greg Sharon
Troy Erin
Gordon Christine

Have to agree here. Many of these names seem ripe for renewal.
Naming children names that they would like is a trend that I'd like to see return.

Not all of these names would do well today, but at least 1/3 to 1/2 might.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:25 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
My middle name is Lynn, and I wish my parents would have been a bit more creative. I work with 8 other people...5 of them have the middle name Lynn.
My kids' middle names are Kiernan and Wolfgang. Wolfgang is actually my grandmother's surname. Both my kids love their middle names.
Please tell me your first name isn't Amanda!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy