Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 05:56 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I've seen families where three kids have had the same first name, because the older ones died in childhood. I'm not sure I would like to be named after an older dead sibling. I've also seen cases where the younger child is given the dead child's first name as a middle name.
It's not necessarily a case of being named after the dead child - it might be a family name and the parents wanted to carry on the name. For example, I have a father in my tree who named his first son after his own father but the boy died. So he then named his second son the same thing. It was obviously important to him that he have a son named after his father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 01:53 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeAtHeart View Post
When I started working through my family's genealogy many years ago, I discovered the fairly common practice among the German immigrants of using the wife's maiden name as the middle name for all of the children -- boys and girls. Then there was the practice of "reusing" a first name if the first child died.

Back in the 1800s, one of my family lines only had daughters. I believe it was the oldest who decided to use her maiden name as a middle name for her firstborn daughter. From there it became a tradition for the next 4-5 generations -- no longer used unfortunately.
Quote:
I've seen families where three kids have had the same first name, because the older ones died in childhood. I'm not sure I would like to be named after an older dead sibling. I've also seen cases where the younger child is given the dead child's first name as a middle name.
Yes, that did happen. True story, a family in Virginia in the 1700s had a son named William who they believed was lost at sea. You know what they named their next son. Years later the first William was able to return home and meet his younger brother of the same name.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:30 PM

74 posts, read 122,587 times
Quote:
The "Chelsea as a boy's name thread" got me to thinking. Are there any names that used to be common that you wish still were?

I think most names today are nice, but sometimes I like the originality of names I see in trees. Back then, there were a lot of girls named Mary, Margaret, Ann, Sarah, and Janes and a lot of boys named John, Joseph, Jacob, William, Benjamin, James, Lee, Clarence, Roy, and the like.

However, there are a lot of unique names from back then that I wish would come back. For example, Emeline, Louisa, Almyra, Amelia, Ardella for girls. I could go on. Columbus is one I like for a guy. It seems regal or something.

I also found out that a family member of mine, who is named Clara, has that name because her great-grandmother did. You don't hear of people being named after family members much anymore. In some of my southern lines (mostly Tennessee area) I've found examples from generations ago of sons having their first or middle name the same as their mother's maiden name. To me that kind of makes it unique.

I don't know, something about today's names seem less unique, though my name is pretty unique. Still, sometimes to the frustration of researchers, it does seem like there were a wider variety of names a few generations ago. You had a lot of common ones, but a lot of unique ones, too. Of course, many people were illiterate, so maybe they just came up with those names because they couldn't spell them. Maybe names then weren't any more unique than names are today, but it kind of seems that way.

Are there any names you've found in your trees that you wish would be more popular again? Or any naming traditions that you miss?

Just wondering.
Amelia really isn't that old-fashioned. While it is my 97-year-old great-grandma's name, I've been hearing more and more baby Amelias. It's probably because Emily is so popular.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
I don't know of naming traditions I wish would return, but I do wish I'd been interested in genealogy and known some of my ancestors' names before I had kids, because I definitely would have given each of my kids a middle name of a great or great great grandparent.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:48 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
My own real name - Mark - was very popular of my generation, the 'baby boomers of the '50's and early '60's ... seems to have disappeared off the radar completely for boy's names. Not even in the top 100 in 2010.
One thing Baby Boomer parents did get right - naming kids names that they would actually like, instead of weird names, boys names for girls, girls names for boys, colors, states and hopelessly old-fashioned names.
Most boomer, like Mark, and me (not really Warren) like our names.

Here are some that I've never heard anyone complain about.
Boomer names are due for a come back, just like MCM furniture.

Boys Girls

Steven Susan
Kevin Karen
Scott Lori
Todd Debbie
Wayne Cheryl
Mark Michele
Brad Patti
Brian Donna
Lance Denise
Darren Kathy
Dean Colleen
Jeffrey Dawn
Alan Robyn
Erik Renee
David Christi
Sean Eileen/ Ellen
Gary Renee
Grant Gail
Paul Lynn
Jay Jill
Joel Julie
Craig Tina
Greg Sharon
Troy Erin
Gordon Christine

Old 04-27-2012, 05:45 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,803 times
My middle name is Lynn, and I wish my parents would have been a bit more creative. I work with 8 other people...5 of them have the middle name Lynn.
My kids' middle names are Kiernan and Wolfgang. Wolfgang is actually my grandmother's surname. Both my kids love their middle names.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:41 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AishaGurl91 View Post
Amelia really isn't that old-fashioned. While it is my 97-year-old great-grandma's name, I've been hearing more and more baby Amelias. It's probably because Emily is so popular.
Amy is a good nickname for Amelia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
One thing Baby Boomer parents did get right - naming kids names that they would actually like, instead of weird names, boys names for girls, girls names for boys, colors, states and hopelessly old-fashioned names.
Wasn't it the boomers themselves who started the weird names trend?

Old 04-27-2012, 11:34 AM

58 posts, read 248,966 times
Quote:

I also found out that a family member of mine, who is named Clara, has that name because her great-grandmother did. You don't hear of people being named after family members much anymore. In some of my southern lines (mostly Tennessee area) I've found examples from generations ago of sons having their first or middle name the same as their mother's maiden name. To me that kind of makes it unique.

Are there any names you've found in your trees that you wish would be more popular again? Or any naming traditions that you miss?

Just wondering.
I really like using ancestors names. I think it shows respect and honor. My daughter, Hannorah, was named after her great-great Grandmother on my husbands side. Her middle name, Elizabeth, is my mothers first name. My son, Thomas, was named after the first Thomas on my husbands side that came over from England in the middle 1600's. His middle name, Earl, is my fathers middle name.

That being said, it drives me CRAZY when I come across the same name being used over and over again. Example, there are at least 5 generations of Mary's named for their mothers. My grandmother named her first daughter Mary, her mother was named Mary and her grandmother was named Mary, so on. And then there's "John" on my husbands side. The original John had 8 children, the first born son is John. All 8 of those children have a John, named for the first John. And then those children all have a John. It makes it rather difficult to keep track. It's real fun at family reunions. You yell "John" and at least 20 people turn and look at you.

On the note of not being able to spell and that's how unique names came about back then, my name was supposed to be Jewel. My mother didn't know how to spell it so I became Julie.

Last edited by jujub529; 04-27-2012 at 11:42 AM..

Old 04-27-2012, 01:48 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
None of my kids are named after colors, geological formations, states, countries or bizarre or old fashioned names. They are all in their late teens and have nice names that each of them are satisfied with.

When I see new born baby announcements and babies baptised at my wife's church their name are all very weird, tacky or remind me of ugly older maiden Aunt's, not new born babies.

We tried to give out kids names that would not label or limit them. We wanted our daughters to have names that would be attractive, yet evoke intelligence and success.
So that they could both be members of the Cheerleading squad and go on the study law and medicine.

So we avoided extremes like "Brandi" or "Krystelle" or "Agatha" or "Adelaide" although we have both in our family tree.

Just because someone was named that, does not mean the name should EVER be used again.
My wife also has an "Elmer" and a "Grover" ( both Grandfather's) as well as a "Mabel" and "Stella"
We were not tempted at all.

They all sound dated and unattractive to me.
As a male. I like feminine names for girls that are sensible but not "orthopedic" sounding.
Pretty but not "floozy" sounding.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:53 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,905,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
My middle name is Lynn, and I wish my parents would have been a bit more creative. I work with 8 other people...5 of them have the middle name Lynn.
Haha, my middle name is Lynne, and I was born in 1969. Growing up, all my friends my age had the same middle names:

Lynne (or Lynn) or Ann (or Anne) or Marie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy