Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:58 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I fully understand Puritan Virtue names. "Freelove" the name of several of my ancestors, referred to God's free love, not to promiscuity. However, how would such a name be received in a middle school in the 21st century? Not well.
Middle-school kids can find a way to make fun of any name, not just an "unusual" one. You're only in middle school for three years, while you have to keep your name for the rest of your life.

Quote:
While no one on this sub forum likes these names, quite a few people seem to disagree with me about another form of "statement names" - name that scream "I don't follow trends" or "My family has been here since the 17th Century!" OR "I read the classics!"

Here is where I disagree with a number of posters - like it or not there are fashions in names. Right now few middle or upper middle class children are being named "John" or "Mary." I know of one teensager named John, and he's a Junior. I know of a "Mary Claire" and her family are utra-Religious Roman Catholics. Still, Mary Claire sounds less stodgy and dated than plain "Mary."

I don't know of anyone under the name of 40 named George, William, Thomas, or WILBUR! That's awful! And if you name your daughter "Thankful" she won't be.

I think that naming one's children obscure, dated, clumsy names, or names that sound strange (many of the Virtue names do) is selfish and just as pretentious as naming your child Toniqua or Kayden.
It' the college educated version of that!
I don't see how being named John or Mary would give someone grief, even if those names aren't currently trendy (but they were extremely popular for around 2,000 years). If anything, John and Mary would get less grief over their names than Aydenn or Nevaeh, and they would at least have serious, adult, professional names to put on résumés and business cards.

I don't see why making a statement with a name is necessarily a bad thing. In fact, I think all names are "statement names" in that the person doing the naming is trying to convey some sort of message. Someone who names their kid Kayden is making a statement that he or she is a trend-lover and herd-follower who likes to "fit in" with everybody else, while someone naming their child Toniqua is making the statement that he or she is part of impoverished inner-city minority culture and proud of it. I'd rather come off as college-educated pretentious than a herd-follower.

Quote:
A name is the first gift you bestow upon your child. Choose it with care
Fortunately, in my case this point is moot. I'm childfree-by-choice, so no kid will ever have to deal with the results of my eccentric taste in names. I just posted here because I love names and etymology in general.

Last edited by northstar22; 07-25-2011 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 01:24 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
I wish we would revert to the tradition of naming the boys with the mothers maiden name. Invaluable because the woman was never mentioned by name in early census records and in deeds and wills, etc, they werequite often mentioned by the husbands name.

My mother named her oldest son, his middle name, her maiden name. Not a bad name but when he was 21, he changed it. It broke her heart.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:28 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Names, their origins, meanings, a the social and class issues surrounding names have been a life long interest of mine as well!

I am not advocating for Neveah or Kayden either. I chose my children's names very carefully. They are not made up, or silly, but they are not boring or common place.
They are names that would work equally well for an artist, an athlete, a professor or a lawyer.

My children love their names! They are too special for names that are trashy or commonplace.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:28 AM

My husband and I both have old fashioned, traditional names and I like that. Only one of my 4 children did I give a little unusual name to and it isn't far out......I like the old names aand I hate the bastardized spellings we get these days. Sometimes, I have a hard time trying to figure out what they are supposed to be...LOL. I love biblical names. I guess you can tell I am kind of conservative.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:45 AM

Quote:
...kinkytoes....snipped...but I understand they're not going around in short shorts or teeny minis and midriff tops anymore...I could be wrong.
oh, brother. The custom is alive and well, even in my own family. I have a running battle going with my 15 yr old granddaughter and I blame her mother....yep, I do.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:13 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I agree with everything you said! It's like we're naming twins! hahaha
Speaking of which, I wish parents would think of the fact that for much of their adult lives, multiples will not be part of a duo or trio. Name them Abby and Betsy (for Baby A and Baby B) if you must, but Haylee and Hollee? Riley, Miley and Kiley? Really? Why?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:08 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,804,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Speaking of which, I wish parents would think of the fact that for much of their adult lives, multiples will not be part of a duo or trio. Name them Abby and Betsy (for Baby A and Baby B) if you must, but Haylee and Hollee? Riley, Miley and Kiley? Really? Why?
YES! I HATE that! I have distant cousins in my the family tree who are something like William and Wills. What?!? I hate that. I hate the rhymes and the same letters too. I have never seen baby A and baby B (i.e. Aaron and Brian). I can handle that, actually.

I hate alliteration in families too. Personal pet peeve. You know: Robert, Rachel, Ryan. YUCK!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:21 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Same letter naming was pretty common in the 50s and 60s. Then I just recently heard someone saying they had done this for (to? ) there - still young - kids. Another tradition that could happily end.

Sometimes after the 4th or 5th kid in the big families of the past, they were really reaching for same letters and not using much imagination. Suppose that goes hand in hand. So there would be Michael, Mathew, Michelle, Marcia, Milhouse.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
YES! I HATE that! I have distant cousins in my the family tree who are something like William and Wills. What?!? I hate that. I hate the rhymes and the same letters too. I have never seen baby A and baby B (i.e. Aaron and Brian). I can handle that, actually.

I hate alliteration in families too. Personal pet peeve. You know: Robert, Rachel, Ryan. YUCK!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Same letter naming was pretty common in the 50s and 60s. Then I just recently heard someone saying they had done this for (to? ) there - still young - kids. Another tradition that could happily end.

Sometimes after the 4th or 5th kid in the big families of the past, they were really reaching for same letters and not using much imagination. Suppose that goes hand in hand. So there would be Michael, Mathew, Michelle, Marcia, Milhouse.
Yeah. And after awhile you end up with unforgivable spellings (Jinger) just to keep the pattern.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:15 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Yes, I know. I think such "name gimmicks" are really ridiculous. This goes back to the "babies don't stay babies forever" thing -- siblings will only be together for 18 years (plus or minus a few) of their lives, and apart for decades. It doesn't make any sense to give them all cheesy theme names.

More names I wish would come back:

Gertrude
Hedwig
Caedmon
Mark/c
Joseph
Micaiah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy