Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 01:49 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times

Advertisements

I love all those old "virtue" names:
Charity
Patience
Prudence
Temperance

If naming children after virtues were to be revived, they have to use today's "virtues" and name their kids:
Vanity
Promiscua
Obnoxia
Entitled
Sloth
Egocentria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 02:02 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I love all those old "virtue" names:
Charity
Patience
Prudence
Temperance

If naming children after virtues were to be revived, they have to use today's "virtues" and name their kids:
Vanity
Promiscua
Obnoxia
Entitled
Sloth
Egocentria
OMG I love when people try to pretend the good old days were full of virgins and teetotalers. There have been drug addics and smexx addicts for hundreds of thousands of years. Many times in the "good old days" were probably more debauched than today.

Nowadays, child marriages are taboo and nobody can do drugs and you can't legally beat your servants. At least in most countries...LOL Try those rules a couple thousand years ago. Try telling your wife you want a boyfriend...or shooting someone who burned you in a business deal...or raiding the next neighborhood to steal their SUV's and a couple of the more attractive women...You'd be in jail.

I say we as humans are probably at a high point for peace and morality in our history.

Just to name a few of our cool "old" guys living the virtuous life: Caligula, the Marquis de Sade, The "It" girl Clara Bow. Not to mention all those dudes in the bible with their multiple wives...and "concubines" Ooh If you read proverbs, prostitution and adultery were also a'happenin' back in those virtuous good old days.

I think people just gave their kids like "Chastidy" and "Mercedes" out of the hope that these values would somehow rub off on the child.

I don't know about trends, but I like these names: Austin, America, Mercedes (the virtue, not the car), Liberty, David, Asa... heh heh heh

Old 07-22-2011, 02:33 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
You missed my point. It wasn't that people in the past were "good" and people today are "bad." It's that today, the negative traits are celebrated and people don't even think of things like Patience and Prudence as virtues.

At least in the "old days" they mostly had the decency to try to hide their negatives (Caligula notwithstanding).

So in the old days the message was "My name is Chastity, but I'll not mention that I'm a total w h o r e." Today the message is "My name is Sluttia, and I'm a total w h o r e, hooray!"

Old 07-22-2011, 02:50 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
You missed my point. It wasn't that people in the past were "good" and people today are "bad." It's that today, the negative traits are celebrated and people don't even think of things like Patience and Prudence as virtues.

At least in the "old days" they mostly had the decency to try to hide their negatives (Caligula notwithstanding).

So in the old days the message was "My name is Chastity, but I'll not mention that I'm a total w h o r e." Today the message is "My name is Sluttia, and I'm a total w h o r e, hooray!"
LOL you're funny. But I still disagree. Unless you mean the "good old days" to be a couple of decades after WW2 in the US. I think most people in the US nowadays consider patience and prudence virtues...at least when it comes to money. There also seems to be a mini-resurgence (by "mini" I mean it's a dot on the timeline of human existence) of "prudes" who think sex and drugs are horrible.

Not just in the US but all over the world...girls in hijab, those "virgin cards" etc.

For me, as well it looks like younger people are even more conservative about sex and drugs than my generation (GEN Y) and I think we were like "kittens" compared to people who grew up in the seventies. I could be wrong, and I honestly don't have any children or hang out with teenagers, but I understand they're not going around in short shorts or teeny minis and midriff tops anymore...I could be wrong.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:53 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
OMG I love when people try to pretend the good old days were full of virgins and teetotalers. There have been drug addics and smexx addicts for hundreds of thousands of years. Many times in the "good old days" were probably more debauched than today....
My grandmother used to say, "The Good Old Days were never The Good Old Days to those that lived them."

Old 07-22-2011, 02:55 PM

675 posts, read 2,684,750 times
I have an ancestor named Dorcas too! She was from Massachusetts, born in early 1700's.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:43 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
My grandmother used to say, "The Good Old Days were never The Good Old Days to those that lived them."

I saw a magnet that said, "They were called the Good Old Days because I wasn't good and I wasn't Old."

I think virtues today exist, both good and bad. The bad virtues today are much more obvious, though, as people quit hiding what they do as much.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:17 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
For me, as well it looks like younger people are even more conservative about sex and drugs than my generation (GEN Y) and I think we were like "kittens" compared to people who grew up in the seventies. I could be wrong, and I honestly don't have any children or hang out with teenagers, but I understand they're not going around in short shorts or teeny minis and midriff tops anymore...I could be wrong.
Judging by the local middle schools, I'd classify you as "extremely optimistic, and possibly very nearsighted".

Old 07-24-2011, 11:54 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Quote:
I'm 21 myself. Many kids today are as wild in the 60s and 70s, but it doesn't seem as cool to be wild today. It seems like (from what I've read and seen) it was all about anti-authority and "I'll ruin my life even if you tell me not to." I think kids today still party and sex is still a problem, but there's less flat out rebellion I think. I think perhaps teenagers today also have more sober role models than they did a few decades ago. It also seems like the cultural divide between teenagers and adults is not quite as bad.

The 60s and 70s were about shocking adults. However, today, shocking adults isn't so easy, since most were teenagers back then themselves, so they know what was going on and they are less oblivious to what their kids are doing.

I know in my experience, many of my friends were/are not very rebellious, and probably even less than our parents were. However, most of my friends are also Christians, so that may make a difference. It really helps teens to have a youth group to support them

There is some merit to your observations about teens being less rebellious. This article is from 2006.
Quote:
Teenagers today are less likely to smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol or have sex than their peers 15 years ago, according to a national study released Thursday by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.The study found that 54% of high school students last year had smoked one cigarette in their lifetime, compared with 70% in 1991. The percentage of students who had at least one alcoholic drink dropped to 74% last year from 82% in 1991.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jun...ence/sci-teen9

Old 07-24-2011, 12:11 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
Quote:
LOL you're funny. But I still disagree. Unless you mean the "good old days" to be a couple of decades after WW2 in the US. I think most people in the US nowadays consider patience and prudence virtues...at least when it comes to money. There also seems to be a mini-resurgence (by "mini" I mean it's a dot on the timeline of human existence) of "prudes" who think sex and drugs are horrible.

Not just in the US but all over the world...girls in hijab, those "virgin cards" etc.

Oh boy! My husband and I went to a Hershey's ice cream place the other day. 40+ year-old mom walked in wearing short shorts, and the two girls with her (her daughters???) had on Daisy dukes. Very scary! My mom would have died before I walked out of the house in teeny-weeny shorts. Unfortunately, the short shorts, teeny minis and midriff tops are still with us.

Nope, people are people. Sex, drugs, awful outfits - they are here to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy