Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 06:59 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Yes, and it's very useful for the IGI.
Do you mind telling me what IGI is? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 10:38 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,616,097 times
Default LDS's IGI

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
From the LDS site:

Q. What is the International Genealogical Index? A. The International Genealogical Index is one of the world’s largest collection of genealogical records. Information comes from individual research and original records. The majority of the names are from records of people who lived between 1500 and 1885. Other records have been submitted by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The index contains:
  • Names of millions of deceased persons from throughout the world.
  • Dates and places of births, christenings, marriages, and other events.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:04 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,379,036 times
Quote:
An IGI record is a snapshot of an event in someone's life, for instance a birth record or a christening. It might give their parent's name, too. A marriage record might give the spouse's name. Any record should have at least the year and location of the event along with the name of a primary person.

The records are not connected to a family tree. That's why I say it's like a snapshot, just shows the particulars of one event. However, they can be useful to construct a family tree. Say you get a birth record with parent's names. You then search IGI records of their names and find their marriage (maybe) and their births (possibly) or nothing at all, if their records don't exist or haven't been entered as an IGI record.

Btw IGI stands for International Genealogical Index. YOu generally search them by region of the world.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:46 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Thanks!

Can I set up my own family tree on this website or would something like "Family Tree Maker" be easier to use?

Old 12-31-2011, 07:12 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
I would recommend using a genealogy program. If you wish to publish your info for others to use, you can upload it to various sites, including ancestry.com.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:30 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Thanks!

Can I set up my own family tree on this website or would something like "Family Tree Maker" be easier to use?
No, you can't set up your own tree. You can contribute your data to their database, but it's very difficult (if not impossible) to pull out someone's individual tree.

There are other, better, places to do that. RootsWeb's World Connect Project is a free site that's pretty easy to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy