Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:39 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Be grateful it's only 72 years - it's a 100 in the UK (their most recent census release was 1911 last year). The whole idea is to keep the personal details private for a "lifetime" - so most people on the census will be dead by the time it's released. Of course plenty of people live longer than 72 years but it makes sense when the average life expectancy is somewhere in the 70s - probably when the rule was set, it was 72, now I think it's closer to 78. But I guess that's why it's 100 years in the UK - the amount of people who live to be 100+ is minuscule so they don't have to worry about it. 50 years would certainly mean a good portion of people on the census are still alive and there's more risk that a lot of people would object. Obviously, you'd be okay with it but not everyone would be and the census bureau has to consider them.
I suppose you are right, but, it seems more bureaucratic than logical; Maybe I'm missing something, but, what type of census information would be "too sensitive" after 72 or even 50 years? There's probably something obvious, but, nothing immediately comes to mind for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 03:00 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I suppose you are right, but, it seems more bureaucratic than logical; Maybe I'm missing something, but, what type of census information would be "too sensitive" after 72 or even 50 years? There's probably something obvious, but, nothing immediately comes to mind for me.
Believe it or not, some people don't move for 50 years. They have a right to not be listed in public directories and making their address on the census public would violate that right. Birth dates, as well. While the censuses up to 1940 haven't listed exact birth dates, I imagine later ones do. Some people are touchy about their birth dates being publicized, due to identity theft. My mom is paranoid about that - whenever she signs up for something online and it asks for a birthday, she puts in a false date. There's also some financial data on there - on the 1940 census in particular, an income field was added and I was always taught that your income amount (past or present) should be private. Education - some people might be embarrassed if they never finished high school or college and don't exactly want it broadcast.

Like I say, obviously, these things aren't sensitive to you but they are to many people.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Believe it or not, some people don't move for 50 years. They have a right to not be listed in public directories and making their address on the census public would violate that right. Birth dates, as well. While the censuses up to 1940 haven't listed exact birth dates, I imagine later ones do. Some people are touchy about their birth dates being publicized, due to identity theft. My mom is paranoid about that - whenever she signs up for something online and it asks for a birthday, she puts in a false date. There's also some financial data on there - on the 1940 census in particular, an income field was added and I was always taught that your income amount (past or present) should be private. Education - some people might be embarrassed if they never finished high school or college and don't exactly want it broadcast.

Like I say, obviously, these things aren't sensitive to you but they are to many people.
Here are the questions on the 1940 census:

IPUMS USA: Census Questions (1940)

Old 03-29-2012, 09:25 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Here are the questions on the 1940 census:

IPUMS USA: Census Questions (1940)
Interesting. I looked at the 2010 census questions and I must of had a shortened version with about 10 questions (nothing about owning a house, etc.).

Old 03-29-2012, 11:00 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Interesting. I looked at the 2010 census questions and I must of had a shortened version with about 10 questions (nothing about owning a house, etc.).
That was the short form. A friend of mine worked it and had to go knock on doors a lot with the long form incomplete I think it may have been longer.

Since I know my grandparents were divorced by then, the question about if they were married in 1935 should be really interesting.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:28 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Solid evidence that I'm the kidnapped only-child of a billionaire.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:34 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post
What is the rules on this? Is it 75 yrs? So it would be available starting 2015?

Is that correct?
72. It's coming out in just a couple of days, April 2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
More on my maternal Great Grandfather. Will we be able to search on the US gov website or will we have to pay to join Ancestry.com?

I won't see myself in the census until I'm 79.
Check with your local library. A lot of them have ancestry.com available *at* the library. They may be quite busy with people coming in to search the newly released census next month, however.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:35 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Some people have first marriages or deceased children that they don't want to be reminded of. Not necessarily for sneaky reasons, though sometimes. Can just be a matter of privacy or not dredging up old memories.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:51 PM

58 posts, read 248,555 times
I hope to locate my grandmothers birth parents to see if my grandmother has any siblings. My Grandmother was born in 1930 and adopted. I believe I've found both her birth parents, but don't know if either of them had any other children. They were 16 and 24 when my grandmother was born and were never married (at least not that I can find and my grandmother was given the birth mothers last name, not the fathers).

If anyone has any information on Ruth Muriel Booker (aka Ruth Booher, Ruth Merle Cochran - b. 28/Sept/1912(?) Indiana d. 28/Oct/1994(?) Orange County, California, or Elmer Hugh Wright b.7/Oct/1906 Oklahoma d. 11/Oct 1996 Riverside, California, I would greatly appreciate any and all information you are willing to share.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:27 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
If the 1940 census is being released organized by cencus district, would those be the same as on the 1930 census?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy