Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 07:13 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,903 times

Advertisements

Besides those of us in the know realize that the Black Irish descended from Selkies.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:12 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
All being said on here i'm still perplexed about those of us who are caucasian British bloodline (irish, welsh, english) who can easily tan just where did we get that genetic expression ability from?

Old 07-08-2013, 05:45 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,903 times
Great Britain is a collection of islands. Many thousands of years of immigrants, invaders, and accidental tourists make up the populace. Even if your bloodline is mostly Celtic there will still be traces of Eastern European, perhaps Mediterranean.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:51 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I am British, with an Irish father from Belfast (orangeman) who had black curly hair and sapphire blue eyes. While he had naturally pale skin, he could tan well.

I remember a British documentary years ago that said Black Irish were the people taken to Ireland from Scotland and England by William of Orange. And that "Black" simply meant they had darker hair and eyes, than the residents of Ireland at that time. Here is a piece from Wiki about this:
"In the early seventeenth century the English, partly in response to an uprising based in Ulster, settled large numbers of English and Scottish Protestants in the province, a process known as the Plantation of Ulster.[3] This changed Ulster from the most Catholic and Gaelic of the four Irish provinces[4] to the most Protestant and British." History of the Orange Institution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is what I think is the most accurate and probable origin of the term.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:09 PM

7 posts, read 12,387 times
The Black Irish are Irish people with dark looks. One of my black friends noticed a photo of my great aunts and said he didn't know I had black people in my family. They were quite dark looking but we put the dark looks down to our Welsh, Scottish and Irish ancestors. There's always been people with dark looks in Britain and Ireland I don't believe the nonsense about the Spanish Armada.

M

Old 10-21-2013, 09:04 PM

934 posts, read 1,127,927 times
I don't understand why some people like to say there "is no such thing as Black Irish." I'm not sure what that means. If (some) Irish genomes can be traced to the Basque and can explain the dark eyes and olive complexion, why is this an issue? Additionally, I've read that some people feel "Black Irish" or "Black Dutch" is an American Term, but I've never thought so. Why is this term so controversial?

Old 10-21-2013, 11:20 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
I don't understand why some people like to say there "is no such thing as Black Irish." I'm not sure what that means. If (some) Irish genomes can be traced to the Basque and can explain the dark eyes and olive complexion, why is this an issue? Additionally, I've read that some people feel "Black Irish" or "Black Dutch" is an American Term, but I've never thought so. Why is this term so controversial?
They are trying to clear up the ignorance on "black" being misunderstood as sub-Saharan African. Because black Irish refers to Europeans with black hair.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:43 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
The fact of the matter is that the term is only used in America and this is where it originated from. Irish people don't use the term because people with dark hair and dark eyes are not an isolated population but mixed in with all the other characteristics that Irish people portray. It is a random combination like blond hair and blue eyes in a family or red hair and green eyes. It is not uncommon to see one family with all these combinations.

People don't seem to understand that in any population you have a range of colouring. Who would fit the term of "Black Irish"? I presume someone like Colin Farrell. If Colin Farrell had his dna tested and like most Irish his ancestry is majority Irish his dna would be the same as someone like Saoirse Ronan who has a more fair colouring.

It's not like these so called "Black Irish" have different features than other Irish people. It is just a nonsensical term. Why isn't there "Black English" or "Black Norwegians"?

Anyway the more standard characteristics of "Black Irish" that I've read about is black hair, pale skin and blue eyes.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:31 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
The fact of the matter is that the term is only used in America and this is where it originated from. Irish people don't use the term because people with dark hair and dark eyes are not an isolated population but mixed in with all the other characteristics that Irish people portray. It is a random combination like blond hair and blue eyes in a family or red hair and green eyes. It is not uncommon to see one family with all these combinations.

People don't seem to understand that in any population you have a range of colouring. Who would fit the term of "Black Irish"? I presume someone like Colin Farrell. If Colin Farrell had his dna tested and like most Irish his ancestry is majority Irish his dna would be the same as someone like Saoirse Ronan who has a more fair colouring.

It's not like these so called "Black Irish" have different features than other Irish people. It is just a nonsensical term. Why isn't there "Black English" or "Black Norwegians"?

Anyway the more standard characteristics of "Black Irish" that I've read about is black hair, pale skin and blue eyes.
Good post!

Old 10-22-2013, 11:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post

I think the Black Irish are related to the Black Dutch and the Black German.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy