Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 03:38 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times

Advertisements

Who are you hoping to find and how will it help your research?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 06:18 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,890,996 times
My great grandfather who divorced his wife in 1934 and abandoned his family (including my grandfather). Apparently he remarried a woman who demanded he cut contact with his previous family (he later divorced her but I don't know when). All I know about her is that her first name was Anna and that they married sometime between 1934 (when he divorced my great grandmother) and 1937 (when I found a directory record of them). I'll be curious to see if they were still married by 1940 and if so, to get some more info on her (birth, specific marriage year, etc).

Also curious to see if my grandfather (same one who was abandoned by his dad) had moved from Pittsburgh to Philly by that point - he can't remember when they moved.

Of course I'll also be excited to see my other grandparents/great grandparents but I'm pretty sure I know what to expect from them. They stayed in the same general area and there were no divorces or anything so all the info should be about the same. I've already got plenty of info on them, it's just my one great grandfather who is a bit of a mysteries since he was not a part of my grandfather's life for a very long time (even after he divorce the woman who made him cut ties with his kids, the damage was done and the kids didn't want to see him). They eventually reconciled when my grandfather was an adult with a family of his own - thanks to my great grandfather's THIRD wife who was apparently a wonderful woman and the driving force behind the reconciliation.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,121 times
I do not know if you can help I was born in South Africa would like to know were my grandfather came from he was a Edward Cotty from Scotland They stayed in Kimberley South Africa

Old 03-12-2012, 01:19 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
My great grandfather who divorced his wife in 1934 and abandoned his family (including my grandfather). Apparently he remarried a woman who demanded he cut contact with his previous family (he later divorced her but I don't know when). All I know about her is that her first name was Anna and that they married sometime between 1934 (when he divorced my great grandmother) and 1937 (when I found a directory record of them). I'll be curious to see if they were still married by 1940 and if so, to get some more info on her (birth, specific marriage year, etc).

Also curious to see if my grandfather (same one who was abandoned by his dad) had moved from Pittsburgh to Philly by that point - he can't remember when they moved.

Of course I'll also be excited to see my other grandparents/great grandparents but I'm pretty sure I know what to expect from them. They stayed in the same general area and there were no divorces or anything so all the info should be about the same. I've already got plenty of info on them, it's just my one great grandfather who is a bit of a mysteries since he was not a part of my grandfather's life for a very long time (even after he divorce the woman who made him cut ties with his kids, the damage was done and the kids didn't want to see him). They eventually reconciled when my grandfather was an adult with a family of his own - thanks to my great grandfather's THIRD wife who was apparently a wonderful woman and the driving force behind the reconciliation.
I knew my grandfather and his second wife since mom kept contact, but his family or the rest of the relatives didn't. My grandmother never quit reminding everyone. I'm hoping to find him and her and maybe start my tree with them on it since while there are extensive cited finds on that part of the family, she seemes to be a deep dark secret. My mom and our family were the only family who went to the funeral.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:45 PM

606 posts, read 904,022 times
I'm hoping to find information on a child that my great-grandfather had with a third wife. Her mother died in 1928 and her obit mentions this child being 6 (haven't found birth records yet). In the 1930's census she was in a children's home. By 1938 that grandfather was deceased. I know she died in CA in 1965.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:06 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
I'm wanting to find out more about the child my great-grandparents adopted. Why would a couple in their 70's, who already had 12 children and numerous grandchildren at the time, adopt a little 6-year old girl? I'm curious to see if she's still alive and what the story was.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:46 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,151,127 times
I do several descendency projects. So I'm looking forward to identifying lots more descendants.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:29 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
No surprises expected, doesn't mean there might not be any. Mostly I'm hoping to learn new details.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:51 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Who are you hoping to find and how will it help your research?
At the end of the 19th century, my paternal grandmother's brother was divorced after the birth of his first child because of a row about religion. He died a year or so later of diphtheria. His former wife remarried and their son never had any contact with his father's family.

Because this happened many years before I was born, it had long since ceased to be a topic of family conversation. I only found out about this "lost" branch of the family less than a year ago. A great grandson of this couple saw my tree and contacted me, and was very cordial...however, since then he has not responded to my email.

At the time of the 1930 census many of the people in this family line were right on the verge of independent adulthood. I am hoping that the 1940 census will allow me to find out more about them, especially where they lived. I have found out through Googling my little fingers off that one of them moved to a village near to the one in which I grew up...but I do not know his age, or if he had children...so, I am hoping the 1940 census may tell me more about this specific person.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:46 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,890,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I'm wanting to find out more about the child my great-grandparents adopted. Why would a couple in their 70's, who already had 12 children and numerous grandchildren at the time, adopt a little 6-year old girl? I'm curious to see if she's still alive and what the story was.
The census probably won't tell you why they adopted her but it may give you details you can then use the track down the records that will. She may have been an orphaned relative or neighbor - they may have been her Godparents. I have a few couples in my tree who adopted a seemingly random child later in life but it turns out they were were somehow related. Try finding her parents names and death records, that will tell you more than the census.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy