Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 02:28 PM

4 posts, read 11,451 times

Advertisements

Thank you Stormcrow73. GG John Franklin Robbins was born 1856 in AR. His father was John Robbins.

Last edited by ronao76; 05-12-2008 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 03:41 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronao76 View Post
Thank you Stormcrow73. GG John Franklin Robbins was born 1856 in AR. His father was John Robbins.
Found John F in the 1860 census. Only shows the born in AR info. You MIGHT be able to work with the older brother since he SHOULD also appear in the 1850 census. The card seems to show that he was born in MS. I did some pretty basic searches but didn't find much except a possible puzzle which I figure you've already seen. I'm wondering if the older brother was not really as old as shown in 1860 or if he really was not born in MS.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 12,229 times
here are 2 of my favorite sites.

[url=http://www.findagrave.com]Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records[/url] (helps in search of people who have passed, and can get a picture from volunteers all over)

[url=http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov/Default.aspx]Washington State Digital Archives - Cookie Required[/url] (washington state index, i have found marriages, births, land, wills, cencus, etc oldest one i have found is 1886)

[url=http://www.oscn.net]OSCN: The Oklahoma Supreme Court Network[/url] (oklahoma state court records, where i found a marriage lisence from 1940 of my grandfather)

i refer to them regularly

Old 05-14-2008, 05:10 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,246,413 times
I just read through the whole post and can I say WOW???

You are all amazing! My grandmother(almost 90) is moving in with me and my family on Saturday. We have decided that we will work on our family tree together. This thread has inspired me to get started on it!!

Thanks all! You might see me again asking questions from the "pros".

Old 05-16-2008, 07:34 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Here's a tip for some of the newer researchers using Ancestry.com:

When you find a roadblock, build your side branches. Try to find siblings of the roadblock person by working through individuals with the same last name living in the same community. This has worked really well for me. I had to make some assumptions that this person was somehow related but they've usually been accurate. What you may find is that someone else has done a lot of research on a sibling of your roadblock person. All you have to do is prove the connection between the two. Case in point: I was unable to get past my gggf because the 1840 census does not list children's names, only age ranges. However, I was able to find another person with the same last name in the same town where gggf lived in 1850. Upon investigating this individual I was able to prove he married into the same family as my gggf and both couples were wed in the same town in Ill! Come to find out, 3 brothers all married girls from the same family and someone had done a wealth of research on those other brothers but my gggf was not fleshed out. It broke my family line open all the way back to 1600 in Scotland! It's all a case of finding the side of the family who passed down the Bible so to speak!!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:29 AM

14 posts, read 38,770 times
yvw ronao76. i also have some Robbins in my family tree. here is a link to my sister's and I family tree : - Ancestry.com.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:43 PM

261 posts, read 954,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDMHogan1976 View Post
yvw ronao76. i also have some Robbins in my family tree. here is a link to my sister's and I family tree : - Ancestry.com.
I went to your website. Looks like we have a common Ancestor that I can tell right off. You have a John CHurch II, married to Unknown Stamper. I also have that Information in my family tree. Please PM me for my home email so we can share more info.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:21 PM

135 posts, read 412,490 times
i've been doing genealogy since i was 16 with great success. however, my 'brickwall' has been my maternal grandmother's side. her mother came to america in 1913 from aldersbach, germany. i found her arrival and naturalization records but since she was so tight-lipped about her past, i've been unable to find anything! i've tried many german sights but with no luck and due to the several boundry changes over the years, i've had a terrible time locating the right place to write to concerning any church records. i feel really bad because my grandmother is quite old and will most likely pass before i find the information she's been hoping for.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:00 AM

3 posts, read 7,072 times
Default Lawrey Collins is Ida Laura Davis, grand-daughter of Mary

The Census in Wisconsin is a mess, but Laurey is Ida Laura Davis born to daughter Mary Evans and Thomas Davis from Mary Jones 1st marriage to Moses Evans. Both Thomas Davis and Moses Evans appear deceased, which makes family hard to seperate! But it appears that Eliphalet had older children in NY, 2 boys and a Girl?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Eliphalet Collins was born 21 Feb 1802 New York, died 1876
Otranto, Mitchell County, Iowa married Mary M. Jones born 14 aug 1807
Heretfordshire, England, died 18 sep 1872 Ogden, Mitchell county, Iowa.
Shows a second wife but I would have to dig further to see who she was and it doesn't look like they had any kids together..so she may have died early in their marriage.

Looks like your Eliphalet Collins moved from NY after 1835 to Ohio had two children in Ohio William COLLINS b: 1836 in Ohio, USA, Ruth COLLINS b: 1839 in Ohio, USA. Then moved to Watertown Twp, Jefferson County, Wisconsin and had 3 more children there. Lawrey COLLINS b: 1847 in Wisconcin, USA, Albert James COLLINS b: 1848 in Watertown Twp, Jefferson County, Wisconsin, USA, Sarah COLLINS b: 1860 in Wisconcin, USA

Name: William HUNT Birth: 1805 in Vermont, Death: 1870 in Minnesota
Marriage 1 Abigail MCNUTT b: 1810 in New York, USA they Married: 27 JUN 1830 in HURON COUNTY, OHIO, (They had 7 children) William and Abbe are in the 1870 cenus of - Albert Lea, Freeborn County, Minnesota both in their early 60's.
Note:
(ERIE and)HURON COUNTY, OHIO, MARRIAGES through 1838
[ERIE COUNTY was created from Huron County in 1838.]
abridged from the Sally DeForest Chapter, D.A.R. 1934 transcription.
HUNT, William ....MCNUTT, Abigail ....27 Jne 1830

You can get William and Abigail's marriage record this would give you both their parents names and would help in your research.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:00 AM

793 posts, read 2,213,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Rose View Post
The Census in Wisconsin is a mess, but Laurey is Ida Laura Davis born to daughter Mary Evans and Thomas Davis from Mary Jones 1st marriage to Moses Evans. Both Thomas Davis and Moses Evans appear deceased, which makes family hard to seperate! But it appears that Eliphalet had older children in NY, 2 boys and a Girl?
Interesting. How did u get those infos. I knew of Moses Evans. Mary and Moses got married in England, on the Welsh side of the boarder. Did the census put all the children under the name Collins, even if they weren't their real last names?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy