Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 02:34 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My heavily Irish DH matches to Dr. Gates at 23AndMe!
No surprise here, as both Prof. Gates & Sgt. Crowley, the officer who arrested him, are both direct male descendants of The O'Neil:
NPR.org » Henry Louis Gates Jr.: A Life Spent Tracing Roots
"we are directly descended, not only from a white man, which explains why my grandfather looked so white, but also from an Irishman. I have something called the O'Neil haplotype, and eight percent of all men in Ireland and I have identical Y-DNA."
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=8195564

Old 10-29-2013, 07:41 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
In addition it gets tricky because for the autosomnal 23andme DNA testing, only males get all of what they are. Males are XY chromosomes. Females are XX. So females only get their female genetic ancestry and don't get their Y Or male genetic information which is important with names and tracking down the paternal and patrilineal lines. In addition if a female has a full blooded male sibling, that can be tricky because siblings can report different genetic ancestral proportions and one lineage or genetic ancestry could show up in one's genetic report but could be lacking or non existent in another's genetic siblings report even though all have the same 2 exact biological parents.

On a sidenote though however one conspiracy out there is that how do we know some grumpy old fat man is not sitting behind the keyboard and just experimenting and stroking out numbers and percentages and randomly assigning different genetic fake proportions and fake numbers and fake bogus percentages and and lying leaving people astray and putting in and punching into the computer and labs and tests whatever they want to or would like to depending on the time and day lol lolol. For all we know it all could be one big hoax lol. IJS
You are quite wrong about the first part, but see the post below yours.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:55 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
I'm happy to embrace whatever ancestry is in there although I'm quite certain that there's no recent african ancestry. Ancient african ancestry of course but as the OP might suggest - there's no african-american blood.

Most european family trees in the US start after 1840 - nearly all of them destitute and nearly all of them settling in northern cities. Very few had any contact at all with african-americans let alone enough time to accrue enough capital to buy slaves . . . in states where it was already illegal . . . in the few years they had before the start of the civil war.

My family has only been in the US since 1890 with most arriving after 1907 and settling around NYC and Northeast PA. I have pictures of all of my great grandparents and I've met 5 of them. 3 of my 4 grandparents are still alive. Unless you consider Irish and Italian to be different races none of them are mixed race.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I'm happy to embrace whatever ancestry is in there although I'm quite certain that there's no recent african ancestry. Ancient african ancestry of course but as the OP might suggest - there's no african-american blood.

Most european family trees in the US start after 1840 - nearly all of them destitute and nearly all of them settling in northern cities. Very few had any contact at all with african-americans let alone enough time to accrue enough capital to buy slaves . . . in states where it was already illegal . . . in the few years they had before the start of the civil war.

My family has only been in the US since 1890 with most arriving after 1907 and settling around NYC and Northeast PA. I have pictures of all of my great grandparents and I've met 5 of them. 3 of my 4 grandparents are still alive. Unless you consider Irish and Italian to be different races none of them are mixed race.
Interesting family history, but where do you get the claim that "most European family trees in the US start after 1840?" I ask because all the way down the line on my dad's side, on both his mother's and father's families, they can be traced back to the 1600s in what is now the US. Some came over as early as the 1640s. Most settled in the mid-Atlantic region and those family trees are very well documented and very far reaching.

Of course many European families came over after 1840 as well, but vast numbers came before then as well.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:25 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,374 times
If they have it celebrate it. DNA is proving many of us have incorrect assumptions about our "race", our ethnic makeup on a DNA level.

I always felt I was a bit African and my DNA proves there is some, not much. Being African does not mean being black always either. The tip of Africa detached thousands of years ago and became modern day Saudi Arabia. This is where my DNA says I am from.

Our DNA is proving really interesting to show we are none of us 100% anything.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:33 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,374 times
Ethnic identity is fascinating because we hold such strong feeling about it with very little proof. You can see many barely black, bright blacks claiming and feeling only black, you have those who look at Barack Obama and see only a black man, others see his whiteness and some see his combination. He himself has id'd with one or the other on & off.

No one Mexican I know runs around bragging about their ancestors ripping out the hearts of men during sacrifices(Aztec) or saying they love Cortez. Many have sympathy for the native Americans whether they are of that or not.

And no one is right or wrong because it relates to how we feel.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:13 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
They may be referring to Dr. Mark Shriver's study from ten years ago. He sampled several thousand people and came to the conclusion that about 30% of White Americans have detectable African ancestry.
If humans as a species arose in Africa, then wouldn't we ALL have some, way back there somewhere?

Old 10-29-2013, 11:19 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
No surprise here, as both Prof. Gates & Sgt. Crowley, the officer who arrested him, are both direct male descendants of The O'Neil:
NPR.org » Henry Louis Gates Jr.: A Life Spent Tracing Roots
"we are directly descended, not only from a white man, which explains why my grandfather looked so white, but also from an Irishman. I have something called the O'Neil haplotype, and eight percent of all men in Ireland and I have identical Y-DNA."
Harvard Professor Gates Is Half-Irish, Related to Cop Who Arrested Him - ABC News
Actually, the method 23AndMe uses does not provide Y DNA matching beyond the haplotype, and DH is not from the Niall of the Nine Hostages line.

DH and Dr. Gates share a fairly long segment on chromosome # 1.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:34 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Bear in mind that when Gates did a patrolineal DNA test he turned out to be very white, but when he added a matrinileal his African ancestry increased.

Most Transatlantic blacks get their white ancestry from the patrilineal side as white men had access to black and mulatto women (free and slave) while those men had scant access to white women until recently.

People have to be careful about which tests that they do and those with significant mixed ancestry need to be especially so if they desire an "accurate" result.
Hmm, I thought that Gates had European Y and mtDNA haplogroups? Without at least one of his parents testing it would be very difficult to tell which genes he got from either of his parents.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:19 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,054,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
Most americans are mixed. Black americans are mixed with European, yet whites having african ancestry is often ignored. Do white americans embrace their African ancestry? Also, I just read something about Heather Locklear, who is blonde and blue eyed, having African ancestry.
Correct me if I am wrong, I am sure someone will, didn't human kind originate in Africa anyhow???? So didn't all human kind start out with black skin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy