Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 05:19 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times

Advertisements

if you had africian american on the male side then the y chromo would show africian all the way back, since the y doesn't change. The female side would be difficult, my mom was 100% british and my dna did not come back with any africian on either side. but I acknowledge that the female side would be difficult.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:59 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocrodril View Post
Spanish did not invade Cornwall, so blame the milkman!!!
Guess again....Battle of Cornwall 1595.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:09 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
if you had africian american on the male side then the y chromo would show africian all the way back, since the y doesn't change. The female side would be difficult, my mom was 100% british and my dna did not come back with any africian on either side. but I acknowledge that the female side would be difficult.
Not exactly. The Ydna is only one line out of many. That is why genealogists utilize autosomal testing. For example, if my father's grandmother was African American, my brother's autosomal results would still reflect a significant amount of sub-saharan, even though it came from my father's side, not my mother's.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Yep. North had many slaves. North also funded slave trading in the South. Most blood quantum rules began in the north.

The World trade center in NYC was built over slave quarters and plantations and cemeteries even
The land upon which the WTC was built did not exist in early, slave-era NY. It was built up over the years as a landfill, which is why almost 50 years ago the builders had to build a slurry wall to protect tge towers' foundations from tidal waters.

The area of the Federal Courthouse was where the slave cemetery was accidentally unearthed. It is worth visiting the museum and burial ground for insight into the experiences of early slaves. If a genealogical component were added to this museum, it would be a wonderful way to help more people connect.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:14 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,983,545 times
I believe a much higher number of White Americans have Native in their background than Black. That is why more claim to be part Native. I not sure the case if a high number of white Americans would state they are part black. Yet in South Africa a large number of White Africaaners have a distant Black relative, and the culture there is if you looked White in South Africa you are White, and in the USA being White more usually stated you were pure European background or even if you had a distant Native relative but not a Black background..

Old 01-05-2014, 11:18 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I believe a much higher number of White Americans have Native in their background than Black. That is why more claim to be part Native. I not sure the case if a high number of white Americans would state they are part black. Yet in South Africa a large number of White Africaaners have a distant Black relative, and the culture there is if you looked White in South Africa you are White, and in the USA being White more usually stated you were pure European background or even if you had a distant Native relative but not a Black background..
Not even close. Sorry but you are way wrong on this one.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:18 AM

I plan on taking DNA tests and having my dad take one. People are talking about recognizing/embracing/celebrating their new found (insert race/ethnicity here). That's not my reason. I want to know where my ancestors moved from. I have a very unusual surname which is Irish and I find it going back asfar as I have traced (1600's as of now). There are a few theories regarding the Norman Invasion and place names along the way which share my surname.

The Irish lineage is all my Dad's, so I figured he's the best way to get some sort of direction and, if Spanish shows up on his results, I know it is him, and not the Spanish from my mom's side . I'm Spanish, Puerto Rican, and Irish, and in my test, hope to learn more about my mom's side.

If African ancestry appears, I won't be completely surprised -- even though my PR side was very fair-skinned. I'm very Irish looking, that when I mention I'm Hispanic, people balk. Imagine me adding African to that? They'll think Im full of malarkey, or ask, South African?

The final result will be more for my personal satisfaction in my quest to see where my ancestors came from.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:36 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
People are talking about recognizing/embracing/celebrating their new found (insert race/ethnicity here). That's not my reason. I want to know where my ancestors moved from.

The final result will be more for my personal satisfaction in my quest to see where my ancestors came from.
That's the same thing... your new found ethnicity is due to finding out where your ancestors came from.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:41 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Not even close. Sorry but you are way wrong on this one.
What are your sources for not even close?

Though people in the past like Shriver thought as much as 20%+ white americans had african ancestry, he revised that number far down to 5%. Also 23andme found only about 3-4% of white americans had african ancestry:

Our Hidden African Ancestry | The 23andMe Blog

Gates also stated that 5% is probably close to the modern consensus.

Now I haven't seen any data regarding this research into native american ancestry, though I could easily see it being 5% or higher.

Personally I would guess it's a toss up.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:54 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
if my father's grandmother was African American, my brother's autosomal results would still reflect a significant amount of sub-saharan, even though it came from my father's side, not my mother's.

you just proven you know nothing about dna or you cannot read. the male y dna doesn't not change no matter how many blacks your grandfather, great grandfather slept with. Now i remember saying that the woman side would be more difficult, that means your father grandfather too which is no included in the y dna. So if you had a ggggggg grandfather that was black then it would show up in the Y dna because it be black all the way down no matter how much it was diluted by the woman side of the dna. the y go back thousand of year unchanged except for some minor mutlation every couple hundred year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy