Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 11:27 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times

Advertisements

Imo, the main people supporting whites acknowledging any black in their dna are people of color. There are too many areas of the country where such news would not be grand and joyful for whatever reason.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:35 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Heather Locklear has Lumbee ancestry and is a recognized member of the federally recognized Lubee tribe. Lumbees like many Native American groups tend to have significant African ancestry. In fact in many Native American tribes on reservations or among Native tribes they are Native American but when away from Native tribes or Natives, they might be victimized by the racist one drop rule and referred to as black.

Johnny Depp openly embraces and acknowledges his black African heritage.

Barack Obama's mother allegedly has a very far distant ancestor that was an African slave.

This just goes to show that WHITES have NEVER been pure at all.

No one is pure anymore. Native Americans, whites, and blacks and others have all mixed with each other. The USA is truly a mixed race nation.
Three people are used as examples to show that whites have NEVER been pure at all. Your logic is so flawed it relegates your words to the trash heap.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:03 PM

114 posts, read 268,269 times
My mother's family in the Midwest has always jokingly claimed Dakota ancestry, but the family culture was German. I joined Ancestry.com 5 years ago and traced everyone and found NO obvious Indians. But the phenotype is strongly visible; shortish, tending to plumpness, dark skin, high cheekbones, straight dark hair, brown and hazel eyes with a slight epicanthic fold, prominent straight nose. This branch of family came from the Baltic Sea area with the name of "Schwartz" (German for dark or black) and settled in Minnesota in 1860. Perchance i am seeing Finnish? Siberian? North Asian? Can't wait to find out. If it does show American Indian well than I lose my bet with my cousins!

Old 10-28-2013, 01:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainbrowntabby View Post
My mother's family in the Midwest has always jokingly claimed Dakota ancestry, but the family culture was German. I joined Ancestry.com 5 years ago and traced everyone and found NO obvious Indians. But the phenotype is strongly visible; shortish, tending to plumpness, dark skin, high cheekbones, straight dark hair, brown and hazel eyes with a slight epicanthic fold, prominent straight nose. This branch of family came from the Baltic Sea area with the name of "Schwartz" (German for dark or black) and settled in Minnesota in 1860. Perchance i am seeing Finnish? Siberian? North Asian? Can't wait to find out. If it does show American Indian well than I lose my bet with my cousins!
Keep us posted! I am waiting with baited breath for my 23andme results which are due any day (I've already got the health stuff back and my husband got his ancestry stuff the day after his health stuff came in so WHERE THE HECK IS MINE? lol).

Old 10-28-2013, 01:56 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
There have always been plenty of cases of whites that have openly acknowledged and claimed theif black African ancestry and were openly accepted as whites with African ancestry
The 'races' are cultural, not some large divide. We've as humans made a difference but on the genetic level its all visible traits. None of them make us less human. We are all 'mutts' genetically, and there is no need to reject any ancestry because it makes you different. You were the same person before you knew and just added a small addition to your identity.

And I don't see how someone who has a small bit of African in them can claim to be other than who they are anyway. I have a LOT of scots in me, and have even been told I look scots, but would never claim that I was a Scot... don't think the distant relatives across the pond would appreciate that. But I can claim the heritage. They are not the same thing.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:36 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
How can you say "many" whites have black ancestry? What proof is there that "many" whites do? The whole slave trade took place in the south, so that would rule out a chunk of the northern states. And even in the south, I think the odds of finding people with black ancestry are slim, considering the level of racism that's typically associated with the south.

It is the very fact of racism will be why such ancestry is hidden. The extreme laws force dmany who can "pass" to fully integrate as "whites". And indeed many moved out of the South to do hat, thinking that whites elsewhere might be less "expert" at detecting subtle traits which might betray connection to other blacks. Also the person would not be known and so can re-invent themselves. We have none other than the Hemmings family as proof.

So the question remains. Why demand that blacks identify with their white ancestry, despite the rejection that they have received, and might still receive, if they track down their white relatives? And then pretend a sif few whites have black ancestry so the question is irrelevant.

In addition to what happened during slavery there was way more miscegenation between blacks and whites than one might think. Indeed in 19th C NYC Irish women with black men was not unusual. It is possible that if they, or more likley their offspring were light enough they would have crossed off, thereby obtaining the advantages that being white brought in pre WW II in the north east.

As an aside there was a young white male who worked in my office who used to tease me about some one (cant remember who) being my kid. I teased him back that he was also my son, but didnt know that. SUDDENLY the joke ended and he became desperate to prove that it was impossible that he could have any black ancestry. He is olive complected with black hair.

You see there is an assymetry in the demands by some whites that blacks own up to their white ancestors. This being no doubt motivated by a desire to get them to be less "blacK", maybe in order to ensure that they mobilize lessas blacks to obtain equality. But whites seem not to be under any such obligation.

It is noteworthy that the same forcesd which led to many blacks having some white ancestry also led to some whites sharing ancestry with blacks. Especially in places like Louisiana where color lines were more fluid.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:50 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
There was also some cases of African Americans finding out they don't have any African ancestry at all in their genetic DNA.

Its said that around 5% of African Americans have NO detectable African ancestry at all.

Bear in mind that when Gates did a patrolineal DNA test he turned out to be very white, but when he added a matrinileal his African ancestry increased.

Most Transatlantic blacks get their white ancestry from the patrilineal side as white men had access to black and mulatto women (free and slave) while those men had scant access to white women until recently.

People have to be careful about which tests that they do and those with significant mixed ancestry need to be especially so if they desire an "accurate" result.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:16 PM

860 posts, read 1,110,117 times
You know, I've always thought that Jewish, Italian, Porteguese, Greek, Spanish, and Arab people had a significant amount of African blood, especially Jews and Greeks.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:28 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
It is the very fact of racism will be why such ancestry is hidden. The extreme laws force dmany who can "pass" to fully integrate as "whites". And indeed many moved out of the South to do hat, thinking that whites elsewhere might be less "expert" at detecting subtle traits which might betray connection to other blacks. Also the person would not be known and so can re-invent themselves. We have none other than the Hemmings family as proof.

So the question remains. Why demand that blacks identify with their white ancestry, despite the rejection that they have received, and might still receive, if they track down their white relatives? And then pretend a sif few whites have black ancestry so the question is irrelevant.

In addition to what happened during slavery there was way more miscegenation between blacks and whites than one might think. Indeed in 19th C NYC Irish women with black men was not unusual. It is possible that if they, or more likley their offspring were light enough they would have crossed off, thereby obtaining the advantages that being white brought in pre WW II in the north east.

As an aside there was a young white male who worked in my office who used to tease me about some one (cant remember who) being my kid. I teased him back that he was also my son, but didnt know that. SUDDENLY the joke ended and he became desperate to prove that it was impossible that he could have any black ancestry. He is olive complected with black hair.

You see there is an assymetry in the demands by some whites that blacks own up to their white ancestors. This being no doubt motivated by a desire to get them to be less "blacK", maybe in order to ensure that they mobilize lessas blacks to obtain equality. But whites seem not to be under any such obligation.

It is noteworthy that the same forcesd which led to many blacks having some white ancestry also led to some whites sharing ancestry with blacks. Especially in places like Louisiana where color lines were more fluid.
I understand that some blacks would rather ignore white ancestry and some whites would not want black ancestry either. But just imagine how much better it would be if both could accept that they are not 'pure' (nobody is) and how we all might relate a lot better that way.

You are who you are. The bits and pieces that made you were there before. Your present life in the end is much more important than what happened a long time ago.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I understand that some blacks would rather ignore white ancestry and some whites would not want black ancestry either. But just imagine how much better it would be if both could accept that they are not 'pure' (nobody is) and how we all might relate a lot better that way.

You are who you are. The bits and pieces that made you were there before. Your present life in the end is much more important than what happened a long time ago.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift. That's why we call it the present." Babatunde Olatunji
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy