Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 11:22 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,379,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Very interesting. I have a TON of names in my surnames list. All of them are like the most common names in the world, which makes sense when you think about it. LOL.

The top ten are:

Walker
Patterson
Kirkpatrick
Berry
Thompson
Martin
Evans
Farmer
Jones
Sanders

The weird thing is - I only know of one of those names that close relatives have - Kirkpatrick.
This is one of the interesting features to me. As you stated, many are just common names. In my list some were names I knew or suspected were among our relatives. Others were a complete surprise, including one name at 2nd place that could be a previously unknown Mayflower connection. But I haven't untangled the spaghetti junction that could 'prove' it.

Another one in my top ten is the name Ball, which makes me wonder about a possible kinship with Lucille Ball who was from Jamestown, NY. We have ancestors from Buffalo, NY, about 70 miles north of Jamestown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 12:59 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I get that kind of response all the time. I vent about something here on C-D, and people get all "Oprah's Next Chapter" on me and say that there are bigger things to be concerned about in life, or they accuse me of being seriously, over-the-top upset when I'm really just mildly or moderately irritated. People don't seem to get that a vent is just a vent, we discharge our frustration, people jump in and validate it by saying "geez, I hate that too!" and then we go about our business. These folks read all kinds of stuff into why we're so extremely angry, disappointed, annoyed, and say we're over-reacting. Hmmm, calmly typing your feelings about something on an anonymous message board is over-reacting? That one's news to me. I've seen people yell, scream, curse, break things, hit people, make scenes in public, and even engage in serious violence in response to things that p*ss them off...but typing up a nice little grammatically correct essay is over-reacting, it seems.

I'm with you. Poor customer service infuriates me. They least they can do is shoot you an apologetic e-mail to acknowledge that even though they've already gotten your money, they recognize that A. you still exist, and B. you haven't yet gotten what you've paid for.
The single most important thing about the cell phone company and the bank I use is simple. Customer service. If you have a problem you can call and talk to a reasonable human. Both of these came about after a list of other companies. I think it is one of the MOST important factors in the choice of companies we stay with. Customers do have choices, and companies should know that they will exercise them. You would be surprised at how nice the people at the cell company get when they see how many years I've stayed. I do wish the same could be said about the cable people and their interenet, but alas they are the only game in town.

Now that there are options in what company you use with DNA testing, I would think that customer relations would matter a bit more.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
This is one of the interesting features to me. As you stated, many are just common names. In my list some were names I knew or suspected were among our relatives. Others were a complete surprise, including one name at 2nd place that could be a previously unknown Mayflower connection. But I haven't untangled the spaghetti junction that could 'prove' it.

Another one in my top ten is the name Ball, which makes me wonder about a possible kinship with Lucille Ball who was from Jamestown, NY. We have ancestors from Buffalo, NY, about 70 miles north of Jamestown.
Well, you'll have to let us know if you find out you're related to Lucille Ball, so we can all be jealous!

Old 11-15-2013, 07:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
This even further makes me think that you will have a lot of shadow ancestry.

Kirkpatrick is somewhat new to me. I do know Farmer is southern US. At least certain branches.

The rest are all very common names. Coupled with your mtDNA haplogroup I predict a lot of non-specific and unassigned DNA in Europe.
We'll see.

About half the names in my top ten are also very common Melungeon names, which is an intriguing little fact.

Common Melungeon Surnames

Old 11-15-2013, 08:08 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,162,912 times
Quote:
We'll see.

About half the names in my top ten are also very common Melungeon names, which is an intriguing little fact.

All but one of the surnames in my family is on that list, including my maiden name. At 23andMe I show DNA relations to some people connected to the "core" Melungeon families. I've never viewed the orignal work that produced that list but I'd be interested in how those surnames were determined to be connected to Melugeons. My maiden name first appears in VA in a white English family who moved to my home town after the NAs were removed off their land.

Odd thing is my mother's maiden name does not appear on the list though I have traced a core Melungeon male married to a woman with this same surname in my maternal grandfather's place of birth. I know for a fact that my grandfather was mixed race yet that surname does not appear on the Meluegeon list.

I have suspected that following the Melungeon surname list that these are names of early American settlers who intermarried (reproduced) in early American history. The study report a couple years back basically stated that Melugeons are the product of north European women and black African men. Following my own DNA results this makes sense to me. I remember seeing a list of the mitochodrial DNA results for these families and if I recall correctly most were H5, one was another Euro haplogroup that I cannot remember right now but it was not from haplogroup H, and another was a NA haplogroup. I wanted to share this information with someone about a week ago and it's weird that it seems to have been wiped from the internet. Some people were not very happy about that study.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:03 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,513 times
Quote:
All but one of the surnames in my family is on that list, including my maiden name. At 23andMe I show DNA relations to some people connected to the "core" Melungeon families. I've never viewed the orignal work that produced that list but I'd be interested in how those surnames were determined to be connected to Melugeons. My maiden name first appears in VA in a white English family who moved to my home town after the NAs were removed off their land.

Odd thing is my mother's maiden name does not appear on the list though I have traced a core Melungeon male married to a woman with this same surname in my maternal grandfather's place of birth. I know for a fact that my grandfather was mixed race yet that surname does not appear on the Meluegeon list.

I have suspected that following the Melungeon surname list that these are names of early American settlers who intermarried (reproduced) in early American history. The study report a couple years back basically stated that Melugeons are the product of north European women and black African men. Following my own DNA results this makes sense to me. I remember seeing a list of the mitochodrial DNA results for these families and if I recall correctly most were H5, one was another Euro haplogroup that I cannot remember right now but it was not from haplogroup H, and another was a NA haplogroup. I wanted to share this information with someone about a week ago and it's weird that it seems to have been wiped from the internet. Some people were not very happy about that study.
Do you have a Gedmatch number for comparing dna to others? Would be interesting to see if we are related to the same Melungeon line.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:22 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,162,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Do you have a Gedmatch number for comparing dna to others? Would be interesting to see if we are related to the same Melungeon line.
You can PM or rep me your Gedmatch ID.

My top 15 surnames are:

Harris
Phipps
Jones
Thompson
Dawson
Boyd
Jackson
Lewis
Bell
Stanley
Alexander
Simmons
Bryant
Allen
James

Old 11-15-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
You can PM or rep me your Gedmatch ID.

My top 15 surnames are:

Harris
Phipps
Jones
Thompson
Dawson
Boyd
Jackson
Lewis
Bell
Stanley
Alexander
Simmons
Bryant
Allen
James
Just repped you with it

Old 11-15-2013, 10:24 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,385 times
Quote:
We'll see.

A lot of those names are just common British and Irish names. Some of my family names are even there and I know I'm not Melungeon.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:14 AM

Looks like they are starting to roll out the AC update!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy