Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 11:32 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,330 times

Advertisements

Quick question, who owns your results and who can access them? This makes me very nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 09:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Did he say that he would take a look at your sample? I wanted to send mine into him back in the day, but kept reading that he wouldn't take anymore samples from (presumably) full European descendants. Let us know if he actually gets back to you, because thats something I would like to do as well.
I haven't gotten an email from him yet but if I hear from him, I'll definitely let you know. I told him in my email that I had tested as 100 percent European at 23andme and that if he couldn't process my results, I would understand. I didn't want to mislead him or make him waste his time.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:29 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I haven't gotten an email from him yet but if I hear from him, I'll definitely let you know. I told him in my email that I had tested as 100 percent European at 23andme and that if he couldn't process my results, I would understand. I didn't want to mislead him or make him waste his time.
Cool, thank you

Old 11-20-2013, 12:29 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,651 times
I sent him my data, but kind of getting the feeling he's not gonna reply to me lol

Old 11-21-2013, 03:05 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No.

My position has always been that I thought they offer a very good product at a reasonable price. I like the product but I am not impressed with their customer service skills.

The product is really good though! Here's the deal, though - this product is available elsewhere, in a similar price range. They will need to improve their customer service skills or they will eventually lose market share over time to other companies who offer better customer service.

People talk.
Fair enough.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:02 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
My ancestral composition, via 23andMe, was ridiculous and useless. Keep in mind that I've also tested with 2 - 3 other companies and I utilize Gedmatch, so I'm not blowing smoke here.

I should probably submit my results to McDonald but I'd rather send in an anonymous second sample to 23andMe and see if the two results are similar. I provided no personal information with the first sample, but this time I'll provide genealogical/health information, perhaps fictional, and see if that influences my "ancestral composition". Perhaps I'll contact McDonald after I receive the results of the 2nd sample.

Again, it all goes back to 23andMe's sample populations, which includes 23andMe subscribers.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:37 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
My ancestral composition, via 23andMe, was ridiculous and useless. Keep in mind that I've also tested with 2 - 3 other companies and I utilize Gedmatch, so I'm not blowing smoke here.

I should probably submit my results to McDonald but I'd rather send in an anonymous second sample to 23andMe and see if the two results are similar. I provided no personal information with the first sample, but this time I'll provide genealogical/health information, perhaps fictional, and see if that influences my "ancestral composition". Perhaps I'll contact McDonald after I receive the results of the 2nd sample.

Again, it all goes back to 23andMe's sample populations, which includes 23andMe subscribers.
What were your reesults and why are you unhappy about them?

Old 11-22-2013, 07:56 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Quote:

I think that would be REALLY interesting! Please report back and let us know if the surveys influence the results.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:07 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:

You do realize that by sending the false information you are screwing it up for everyone who matches you, do you not? You also mess up the way they determine the health information. Please do NOT do that!

Yes, the ancestral composition you get from different companies may vary just because the reference populations are different. None of the companies test your entire genome. That does not mean any of them are "ridiculous."

It would be more helpful if you explained why you think the 23AndMe information is inaccurate.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:16 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
What were your reesults and why are you unhappy about them?
95.5% European
77.9 % Northern European
9.5% British & Irish
0.1% Finnish
68.2% Nonspecific Northern European
0.0% Southern European
0.0% Eastern European
0.0% Ashkenazi
17.7% Nonspecific European

3.7% Sub-Saharan African
? West African
? East African
? Central & South African
3.7% Nonspecific Sub-Saharan African

0.8% Unassigned

Conservative estimate:
94.5% European
1.0% British & Irish
43% Nonspecific Northern European
50.5% Nonspecific European

3.5% Sub-Saharan
3.5% Nonspecific Sub-Saharan

2.0% Unassigned
Worthless. Frankly, even the Conservative Estimate, at 90% confidence raises issues. I'd love to see what my results would be with a confidence level of 95% or higher. I'm guessing my Nonspecific Northern European estimate would significantly decrease or entirely disappear.

"The default Standard Estimate corresponds to 75% confidence. You have the option to make the estimate more strict (the Conservative Estimate is at 90% confidence) or more lenient (the Speculative Estimate is at 50% confidence)."

I would have posted my Speculative Estimate, but a confidence level of 50% is equivalent to a coin toss. The Standard Estimate is not much better (statistically speaking). 23andme should stick to health risk analysis and family finder. Seriously.

Last edited by lenora; 11-22-2013 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: tried to clean up the line breaks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy