U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2017, 01:04 PM
 
211 posts, read 133,757 times
Reputation: 177

Advertisements

Here DNA test results, full Portuguese ancestry.




Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2017, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Ozark Mountains
634 posts, read 538,087 times
Reputation: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
[IMG]//www.city-data.com/forum/Here DNA test results, full Portuguese ancestry.



your results are from FTDNA I must assume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 02:09 PM
AFP
 
7,238 posts, read 4,699,160 times
Reputation: 6191
Is that a 23&Me result OP? I'll post mine it's FTDNA's MyOrigins the algorithim is different from 23&Me's. FTDNA picks up consistently higher middle eastern and African components. If you would like to compare to my results then multiply your sub-Saharan and middle eastern components by 10.

I'm entirely of Portuguese ancestry and don't believe I have any admixture within the last 400 years. I have a pretty good idea what populations those non-Iberian components represent.

FTDNA's MyOrigins 2.0 version.

European 92%

85%Iberia
07%Western & Central Europe
<1%Eastern Europe


Middle Eastern 4%

4% West Middle East
<2% Asia Minor

Africa

<2% South Central Africa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 02:10 PM
AFP
 
7,238 posts, read 4,699,160 times
Reputation: 6191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
your results are from FTDNA I must assume.
Nope that isn't an FTDNA result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 02:17 PM
 
211 posts, read 133,757 times
Reputation: 177
The results are from 23andme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 02:19 PM
 
211 posts, read 133,757 times
Reputation: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Is that a 23&Me result OP? I'll post mine it's FTDNA's MyOrigins the algorithim is different from 23&Me's. FTDNA picks up consistently higher middle eastern and African components. If you would like to compare to my results then multiply your sub-Saharan and middle eastern components by 10.

I'm entirely of Portuguese ancestry and don't believe I have any admixture within the last 400 years. I have a pretty good idea what populations those non-Iberian components represent.

FTDNA's MyOrigins 2.0 version.

European 92%

85%Iberia
07%Western & Central Europe
<1%Eastern Europe


Middle Eastern 4%

4% West Middle East
<2% Asia Minor

Africa

<2% South Central Africa
Interesting. I uploaded the results to GEDmatch and got a tiny bit higher north african results, but almost equal results North Atlantic Europe and Mediterranean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 02:34 PM
AFP
 
7,238 posts, read 4,699,160 times
Reputation: 6191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
Interesting. I uploaded the results to GEDmatch and got a tiny bit higher north african results, but almost equal results North Atlantic Europe and Mediterranean.
The previous MyOrigins version 1.0 had estimated my Middle Eastern at 5% North African so the algorithim needs to be refined so that portion is indeed a mixture of North African/Levantine.

If you would like to compare Gedmatch numbers and discuss the results in more detail feel free to PM me. There are too many hostile people that post here and read posts so I reveal minimal information online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Ozark Mountains
634 posts, read 538,087 times
Reputation: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The previous MyOrigins version 1.0 had estimated my Middle Eastern at 5% North African so the algorithim needs to be refined so that portion is indeed a mixture of North African/Levantine.

If you would like to compare Gedmatch numbers and discuss the results in more detail feel free to PM me. There are too many hostile people that post here and read posts so I reveal minimal information online.
I have found that Middle Eastern DNA on my test results too as well. I believe is North African, since my great grandparents are Italians and Spaniards
As per MyOrigins I am 12% Middle Eastern
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Moku Nui, Hawaii
10,292 posts, read 19,732,904 times
Reputation: 9489
99.3% sounds pretty solid one type, IMHO. Five or six generations back, maybe there was a traveling salesman or some such? Maybe even further back than that since it's only .7% Plus, what's the margin of error on these sorts of tests?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2017, 05:24 PM
AFP
 
7,238 posts, read 4,699,160 times
Reputation: 6191
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
99.3% sounds pretty solid one type, IMHO. Five or six generations back, maybe there was a traveling salesman or some such? Maybe even further back than that since it's only .7% Plus, what's the margin of error on these sorts of tests?
His results are typical for a Portuguese person when you consider the 23&Me algorithm it isn't indicative of a traveling salesman in my opinion. You have to take the history of Portugal into context within the last 3,000 years or so and these results pick that up. Although you are right your scenario is plausible in some situations but when you place his results into context your scenario is highly unlikely. I rarely ever see a result for a Portuguese person that is 100% Iberian or European.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top