Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 06:46 AM

29 posts, read 27,024 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I recently did a autosomal DNA ethnicity test. I was expecting to have at least about 3% Jewish, because I have Jewish ancestor on both my grandfathers side and my grandmothers side (according to our oral family history), 6 generations from me (on both sides). I received the following results:
- 29,9% English
- 8,00% North- and West-European
- 8,90% Europe East
- 1,70% Balkan

- 23,3% Nigerian
- 10,3% Sierra Leone
- 3,30% Kenyan
- 1,10% Central-African

- 9,20% South-Asia

- 3,2% Middle-East

- 1,1% Oceanic (This must be the native american part of my ancestry since theres also oral history of that and amazon natives are relatives to papuans)

I also don't get Jewish on Gedmatch with the Jtest (only ASHKENASI less then 1% so i consider that noise)

Can someone help me how to interpret these results and if I can link it to Sephardic Jewish ancestry or not? Its very important to me.

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 07:55 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergi7 View Post
Hello everyone. I recently did a autosomal DNA ethnicity test. I was expecting to have at least about 3% Jewish, because I have Jewish ancestor on both my grandfathers side and my grandmothers side (according to our oral family history), 6 generations from me (on both sides). I received the following results:
- 29,9% English
- 8,00% North- and West-European
- 8,90% Europe East
- 1,70% Balkan

- 23,3% Nigerian
- 10,3% Sierra Leone
- 3,30% Kenyan
- 1,10% Central-African

- 9,20% South-Asia

- 3,2% Middle-East

- 1,1% Oceanic (This must be the native american part of my ancestry since theres also oral history of that and amazon natives are relatives to papuans)

I also don't get Jewish on Gedmatch with the Jtest (only ASHKENASI less then 1% so i consider that noise)

Can someone help me how to interpret these results and if I can link it to Sephardic Jewish ancestry or not? Its very important to me.

Regards
It's completely normal not to have inherited any DNA segments from ancestors 6 generations from you. We inherit roughly 50% of our autosomal DNA from each parent that is the average but it varies a little. Each generation one goes back from generation twe the amount of DNA you inherited from each ancestor can be very skewed. You can inherit for example as one of my kids does 21% form one grandparent and 27% from another grandparent and it gets even more skewed the further back you go.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:10 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Jewish categories are for Ashkenazi Jewish specifically, not Sephardic. Not every Jewish person is Ashkenazi. The only company I know of at the moment which tries to identify Sephardic is FamilyTreeDNA.com - they do not yet accept uploads from MyHeritage, but they may in the future: https://www.familytreedna.com/autosomal-transfer - but keep in mind that what AFP has said will still apply. At such a low percentage of 3%, you easily may not have inherited anything from those ancestors.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:40 AM

Hello PA2UK and AFP. So best is to do a DNA test with both grandparents?

Is it possible that the sephardic Jewish part resides in the 3,2% middle eastern since they share genetics with eachother?

Old 08-02-2017, 10:52 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergi7 View Post
Hello PA2UK and AFP. So best is to do a DNA test with both grandparents?

Is it possible that the sephardic Jewish part resides in the 3,2% middle eastern since they share genetics with eachother?

Sephardic Jewish DNA is complex to simplify things there are components of Levantine/Anatolian/North African/Iberian/South East European and even small amounts of East African and other bits. If you find one small segment it could be a mix of all those things or only contain some of those things. The DNA results of Sephardic Jews I've seen contain substantial amounts of Southern European(Mostly Italian and Iberian), Levantine, North African and about equal amounts of Anatolian DNA in that order with small bits of other things.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:57 AM

661 posts, read 880,884 times
I don't recommend My Heritage, has lot of errors.
Here is my Jtest results from Gedmatch:
Population
SOUTH_BALTIC 5.57
EAST_EURO 9.82
NORTH-CENTRAL_EURO 12.77
ATLANTIC 13.66
WEST_MED 10.20
ASHKENAZI 3.38 <==== probably from my italian great grandparents
EAST_MED 6.82
WEST_ASIAN 2.98
MIDDLE_EASTERN 3.11
SOUTH_ASIAN 1.63
EAST_AFRICAN 3.65
EAST_ASIAN 5.84
SIBERIAN 13.56
WEST_AFRICAN 7.02

Old 08-02-2017, 12:32 PM

526 posts, read 386,324 times
You're asking how to make actual DNA results match what someone told you about your ancestry? Interesting, wanting the science to be made to match the fable.

Could be that the oral history is wrong, or even a lie. Happens all the time.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:58 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,327 times
You likely still have the Jewish ancestors it's just that you personally didn't inherit the markers for them since it's so random what we inherit.Dont worry about the DNA results,I see you are African like me,in African tribal belief we believe we are the reincarnation of certain ancestors,so maybe you still have some of those Jewish ancestors within you.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:10 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post
You're asking how to make actual DNA results match what someone told you about your ancestry? Interesting, wanting the science to be made to match the fable.

Could be that the oral history is wrong, or even a lie. Happens all the time.
Read the other responses - a lack of results in a certain category doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't have ancestry in that category. Ethnicity reports are very much an estimate, and should NOT be taken literally, nor do they give a full picture of every ancestor you've had. It does not necessarily mean one's oral history is wrong or a lie. While fictional family stories do get told, and non-paternity events and unknown adoptions do happen, one should not assume any of those things are the case based purely on the ethnicity report.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:33 PM

AFP, PA2UK, Kthiethegreat Thanks very much for the feedback... Very helpfull
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy