Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 01:31 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
My DNA results came back I was 75%African, 22% European, 1% East Asian and 0.7% North African

My father is African-American, and my mother is mixed African-American, Portuguese, Scottish, and Irish. I definitely identify with my Portuguese ancestry and represent my Portuguese heritage. My Portuguese great-great grandfather was born in British Guiana in the 1900's, and my 3rd or 4x great grandparents immigrated from Madeira, while other family members went to the Hawaiian Islands. i definitely want to visit my homeland one day. Also should I learn Portuguese? Also are there any other Portuguese people here who can post the great things our ancestors did in history? Also can someone explain if my 0.7% North African ancetry come from the Iberian Pennisula?
PM me I can connect you to groups that focus on Portuguese genetics and culture that will welcome you warmly. This is kind of a prickly place to have open and honest discussions on this topic.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:39 PM

630 posts, read 525,408 times
Quote:
Luso-American means someone who is connected to Portugal by culture,birth or ancestry. My great-great grandfather was Portuguese, so I'm Luso-American by ancestry. The culture I have to discover for myself.

Well, good luck convincing people of that!

Old 11-18-2018, 01:43 PM

112 posts, read 62,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Well, good luck convincing people of that!

Why would it be hard convincing people of that. I'm of Portuguese descent so I'm Portuguese. Should I claim African-American since my father is African-American and I'm 75% African?So if my grandparent was Portuguese would that be different? What would be your definition of Luso-American? Someone who was born in Portugal? Just curious

Last edited by AzureKite; 11-18-2018 at 01:51 PM..

Old 11-18-2018, 01:59 PM
AFP

Quote:
So if my grandparent was Portuguese wpuld that be different? What would be your definition of Luso-American? Someone wh was born in Portugal? Just curious
I'll answer even though the question wasn't directed at me since I do identify as a Luso-American. In the USA among the Portuguese community a Luso-American is someone entirely of Portuguese heritage who is a USA citizen and a cultural fusion of American(USA culture) and Portuguese culture. Canadians of Portuguese ancestry identify as Luso-Canadians and Brazilians Luso-Brazilians. Perhaps it is used different in Guyana. I would consider you to be of partial Luso-Guyanese ancestry and your Portuguese culture I'm certain is going to be a fusion of Portuguese/Guyanese culture with heavy on the Guyanese since your family has lived in Guyana and then you have a layer of African-American culture/genetics which adds to the interesting mosaic. You are part of the Portuguese diaspora. If your grandparent with partial Portuguese heritage is still living they qualify for Portuguese citizenship and then after that process you would qualify because you would be the grandchild of a Portuguese citizen.

Last edited by AFP; 11-18-2018 at 02:11 PM..

Old 11-18-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I'll answer even though the question wasn't directed at me since I do identify as a Luso-American. In the USA among the Portuguese community a Luso-American is someone entirely of Portuguese heritage who is a USA citizen and a cultural fusion of American(USA culture) and Portuguese culture. Canadians of Portuguese ancestry identify as Luso-Canadians and Brazilians Luso-Brazilians. Perhaps it is used different in the country you live in. I would consider you to be of partial Luso-Guyanese ancestry and your Portuguese culture I'm certain is going to be a fusion of Portuguese/Guyanese culture with heavy on the Guyanese since your family has been there for generations.

Hi, my Portuguese great-great grandfather was born in British Guiana and were in their own Portuguese community. He is actually only 87 yrs older than me. Also He ran away at 13 yrs.old and ended up in the United States and married a Black woman from Louisiana. He changed his identity and lied about who he was to the enumerator and everyone. DNA testing my great-grandmother and cousins discovered who he truly was. But anyways don't you think it's correct to say I'm Luso-American since I'm American?

Old 11-18-2018, 02:15 PM
AFP

Quote:
Hi, my Portuguese great-great grandfather was born in British Guiana and were in their own Portuguese community. He is actually only 87 yrs older than me. Also He ran away at 13 yrs.old and ended up in the United States and married a Black woman from Louisiana. He changed his identity and lied about who he was to the enumerator and everyone. DNA testing my great-grandmother and cousins discovered who he truly was. But anyways don't you think it's correct to say I'm Luso-American since I'm American?

I think I know this story aren't you married to a Portuguese woman? No worries I won't pry.

I'm okay with you using Luso-American.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
[/b]

I think I know this story aren't you married to a Portuguese woman? No worries I won't pry.

I'm okay with you using Luso-American.

You're saying if I'm married to a Portuguese woman? no I'm not, and their isn't a lot of Portuguese people in Texas anyways but what made you ask? Also do you consider me Portuguese and the same race/ethnicity as other Portuguese people?

Old 11-18-2018, 02:40 PM
AFP

Quote:
You're saying if I'm married to a Portuguese woman no what made you ask? Also do you consider me Portuguese and the same rave/ethnicity as other Portuguese people?
Your great great grandfather's story is familiar to me.

I consider you part of the Portuguese diaspora but there are differences based on what you have posted you're at outlier there a few threads that connect you to Luso-Americans but you're 75% Black American the genetics/culture and shared history with Black Americans makes you different than what I consider a typical Luso-American. You're minimally Luso-American based on you're posts.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Your great great grandfather's story is familiar to me.

I consider you part of the Portuguese diaspora but there are differences based on what you have posted you're at outlier there a few threads that connect you to Luso-Americans but you're 75% Black American the genetics/culture and shared history with Black Americans makes you different than what I consider a typical Luso-American. You're minimally Luso-American based on you're posts.

So do you consider me Portuguese-American or Black American? Also I definitely into my shared history with Portuguese people versus my other ancestries. 9 Also, (My Portuguese roots go through the Madeira Islands which were settled my mainland Portuguese people in the 1400's.)What would other Portuguese people view me?

Old 11-18-2018, 03:00 PM
AFP

Quote:
So do you consider me Portuguese-American or Black American? Also I definitely into my shared history with Portuguese people versus my other ancestries. 9 Also, (My Portuguese roots go through the Madeira Islands which were settled my mainland Portuguese people in the 1400's.)What would other Portuguese people view me?
Black American with partial Portuguese ancestry based on what you have posted. I don't know what you are like culturally I haven't met you. FWIW Portuguese people in Portugal of partial Black ancestry feel very Portuguese to me when I interact with them. But I don't think you've had enough cultural exposure to blend in based on our interactions. Truthfully I'm not sure I'd want to know you personally because you seem to want to distance yourself from the Black American portion of your heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy