Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 06:45 PM

112 posts, read 63,250 times

Advertisements

I know i have 7th cousins in Brazil, and Portugal when will 23ndme improve so we can know who they are?

Old 12-02-2018, 07:35 PM

10,218 posts, read 17,934,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
I know i have 7th cousins in Brazil, and Portugal when will 23ndme improve so we can know who they are?
And you know these cousins have taken the test at 23andMe?

23andMe do include 6th-9th cousins, however, you will not share DNA with all your cousins. You won't match about 10% of your 3rd cousins, and around 50% of your 4th cousins. You can see how this number quickly gets smaller and smaller with each generation. So it's very possible, actually even likely, that you won't match a particular 7th cousin. You will still match many 7th cousins - anyone sharing up to about 57 cM (0.76%) with you could be a 7th cousin (a 7th cousin will likely share less than that, but that is the max they could share with you). If you jump to the last page of your matches, you should see that the estimated relationship range is "third to distant cousin", so that includes 7th cousins.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:38 PM

112 posts, read 63,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
And you know these cousins have taken the test at 23andMe?

23andMe do include 6th-9th cousins, however, you will not share DNA with all your cousins. You won't match about 10% of your 3rd cousins, and around 50% of your 4th cousins. You can see how this number quickly gets smaller and smaller with each generation. So it's very possible, actually even likely, that you won't match a particular 7th cousin. You will still match many 7th cousins - anyone sharing up to about 57 cM (0.76%) with you could be a 7th cousin (a 7th cousin will likely share less than that, but that is the max they could share with you). If you jump to the last page of your matches, you should see that the estimated relationship range is "third to distant cousin", so that includes 7th cousins.

23andme doesn't show all of your cousins. When they had the Countries of Ancestry features, they had Brazil because I matched with someone from Brazil,and Portugal I do not see them in my DNA relatives. 23andme and ancestry.com is far from perfect. And will not show all of your relatives.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:40 PM

4,893 posts, read 4,839,146 times
23andme shows third to distant cousins. I have matches with as little as a 0.11% DNA match, which may not even be a reliable match. 23andme shows any matches to others who have taken a test with 23andme. Do you know that they took a 23andme test? Also, PA2UK is correct in that a 7th cousin is a sufficient distance from you that you may not even share DNA. The same is true going back that many generations.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
23andme doesn't show all of your cousins. When they had the Countries of Ancestry features, they had Brazil because I matched with someone from Brazil,and Portugal I do not see them in my DNA relatives. 23andme and ancestry.com is far from perfect. And will not show all of your relatives.
They show you all the people you share DNA with above a certain minimum criteria. You will not share enough DNA with all your known cousins for them to show up as matches because below a certain criteria, they are more likely to not be identical by descent. In fact, some of your distant matches won't even be identical by descent.

https://isogg.org/wiki/Identical_by_...sitive_matches

The old countries of ancestry largely would find people who matched you below the default thresholds, making them unlikely to be identical by descent. That's partly why that feature has been retired, it was misleading for people who didn't understand identical by descent and false positive matches. It's been replaced by "ancestor birthplaces" which does the same thing but only looks within your existing matches, because that is more reliable.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,855,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
They show you all the people you share DNA with above a certain minimum criteria. You will not share enough DNA with all your known cousins for them to show up as matches because below a certain criteria, they are more likely to not be identical by descent. In fact, some of your distant matches won't even be identical by descent.

https://isogg.org/wiki/Identical_by_...sitive_matches

The old countries of ancestry largely would find people who matched you below the default thresholds, making them unlikely to be identical by descent. That's partly why that feature has been retired, it was misleading for people who didn't understand identical by descent and false positive matches. It's been replaced by "ancestor birthplaces" which does the same thing but only looks within your existing matches, because that is more reliable.

ITA with the bold.

If you want to have a wider range of cousin matches, you'll have to ask your parents or older relatives to test on the sides you are exploring.

Both my grandfather and one of his first cousins tested for me and they have WAY more matches on our common lines than I do. His cousin (who is female) even has more lines of their X line than my grandfather does. DNA is a puzzle and not everyone gets the same amount of genes from all our shared ancestors.

My dad also has more matches on both sides of his family versus myself. Due to my grandfather's cousin having so many more X matches than him, I'm also considering asking my dad's older sister to test to get more of my paternal grandmother's genes/relatives to review.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:43 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,989,072 times
23&Me shows 5th to Distant cousins, and Distant cousins. I have many listed in the Distant category. If you filter your DNA Relatives list by Ancestor Birthplaces (use filters on right side of screen), you might be able to narrow down the list to people in those countries.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:10 AM

23,902 posts, read 33,692,683 times
Quote:
Please go on the 23andme forums and google AzureKite and you will see why I had to retest again and again.
\

I'll save everyone the googling. AzureKite 23 and me forum profile but was banned so made a new account named Kite which was also banned. I'm really not seeing questions about why retesting was done

Tainted saliva sample give different/poor results?

Old 12-06-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
\

I'll save everyone the googling. AzureKite 23 and me forum profile but was banned so made a new account named Kite which was also banned. I'm really not seeing questions about why retesting was done

Tainted saliva sample give different/poor results?
He was also banned from the Anthrogenica forum. I hadn't mentioned it because I figured whatever the reason was, if he hadn't broken any rules here, he deserved a second chance - but clearly he's already had multiple chances and is a repeat offender at other forums.

AzureKite, if you can't answer my questions (there was more than one), then we can't help you or answer your questions. Much of what you're saying does not make sense - it's highly unlikely you would only have estimated 4th cousins or closer. All of us who have tested at 23andMe have more distant than that and given the size of 23andMe's testing database, there is no reason you shouldn't. You are probably either mistaken, and like I say, we can't help you if you refuse to answer our questions or provide screenshots, or you're lying. Although I'm not really sure what purpose lying would serve, given your multiple bans from other forums, and your refusal to answer some simple questions or provide screenshots (evidence that would probably prove your claims incorrect), I can't rule it out.

If you retested because you felt your first sample wasn't a good sample even though you got results from it, I'm afraid you probably wasted your money. If the sample wasn't good enough to provide accurate results, they would have sent you a new kit to provide another sample for free, and you would not have gotten results from the first sample. If you got results (and you are claiming you did because you said you had matches that you now don't have when you retested), then you do not need to retest, especially not "again and again".

It seems you don't really understand much about the DNA process and like I say, if you are unwilling to answer my questions (How many matches in total do you have? How many matches do you have if you login into your original test?) or provide screenshots, we can't help you.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:34 AM

5,466 posts, read 5,733,164 times
Who cares about 6h-9th cousins anyway? Those are very very distant relatives you know nothing about.
Each person can have something like 10-20 million 9th cousins...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy