Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 07:31 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I've thought of it, but a) we don't have a large family at all and most have passed away, and b) my husband gives me grief when I talk about doing DNA because he's, well, paranoid. LOL.
BTW...doesn't DNA testing depend on other family members also submitting their DNA?

Honestly, your best hope of unlocking her mystery is doing an ancestry DNA test. It is on sale for $59. If you buy on amazon you get free prime shipping.

Yes, it depends on whether your mothers family has tested, you won't know that unless you buy a kit. I suggest you buy one, when it's done post back, we'll tell you how to save the DNA file to upload free to my heritage which is world wide, if your mothers family were immigrants, you may have decent matches there.

Ancestry has the largest DNA database. My heritage (which is a free upload) is the best for matches all over the world.

Both of my parents were immigrants in 57. Surprised to have matches on my mothers parents lines in the US. I was told no one else immigrated which was wrong, both of my grandparents siblings immigrated.

DNA will not be $59 again until sometime next year if you don't buy one today.

When your kit is done processing, post back, we will tell you what to do with DNA matches to sort between your mother and father. If you know your fathers side, once you mark them as paternal, the rest are all your mothers side. It's a new tool ancestry has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 09:14 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Have you tried the state of NY records department?

Or see if court records are open.

Consider also a person may be thought to have been born in a place they were not. I see this often when "Grandma is from X" so she's thought to have been born there when she was actually born in an adjoining state or province.

Good luck.
New York City records are separate, under the City's jurisdiction, and are not held by NY State.

Old 12-28-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I did a chat with the NYC folks and they sent me instructions on how to request Mom's BC.
Thank you.
Good luck! I hope they can process it quickly. But don't count on it.

Old 12-28-2022, 03:43 PM

9,467 posts, read 5,237,391 times
Appreciate all the comments. I'm having my sister take one more look at any of my Mother's documentation that she may still have on hand. NY wants a death cert but I'm not sure she has that, either (if she has the BC then I don't need to send away and pay for one.....or be told one can't be located?)
Gonna consider that DNA kit!

Old 12-28-2022, 04:07 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
Quote:
I've thought of it, but a) we don't have a large family at all and most have passed away, and b) my husband gives me grief when I talk about doing DNA because he's, well, paranoid. LOL.
BTW...doesn't DNA testing depend on other family members also submitting their DNA?
Maybe you will match up with one of her siblings or siblings children.

I was able to find my cousins birth family via DNA. I sent his in and got several matches.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:38 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Default Edited

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It absolutely does. But you'll still have to do some work to pick it all apart.
My Anglo side is well represented in the DNA connections of Ancestry; 40,000 of them.
Almost all of whom are distant cousins (5th-8th etc) but many already have trees.
I was also approached by a 3rd cousin -another adoptee- with useful info & help.

The hundred or so closer cousins have gotten me as far back as the early 1800 G-G-G grandparents.
This gets me down to the Sixteen Family Names, some 2nd cousins, even one 1st cousin
... but the particular culprit among them remains a mystery.

My Spanish side (out of Cuba) is not as well represented in the DNA connections; 6,000 or so.
ONE second cousin who has since died leaving two uninformed daughters and a few others from their immediate family (=no add'l leads).

The next jump is to 4th C and it's all in Spanish. I'll need help to dig into Post Castro Cuban records
and also in The Canary Islands and Spain. Not there yet.

Old 12-29-2022, 07:37 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Appreciate all the comments. I'm having my sister take one more look at any of my Mother's documentation that she may still have on hand. NY wants a death cert but I'm not sure she has that, either (if she has the BC then I don't need to send away and pay for one.....or be told one can't be located?)
Gonna consider that DNA kit!

The DNA kit can be a gold mine to figure out her mystery. It's your best shot.

Your sister should also do one because your parents did not give you the same pieces of DNA. You may have more matches to your fathers side while she may have more to your mothers side; it depends on what family has tested.

Looks at the Jane and John Doe cases being solved by DNA matches. You just never know.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:10 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
[quote=Roselvr;64658768]Looks at the Jane and John Doe cases being solved by DNA matches.
You just never know.[/quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1WwfI_3H94

Old 12-29-2022, 10:38 AM

Don't put the cart before the horse. If you can obtain her BC naming her birth parents then that could be sufficient, you won't need a DNA test. Not everyone gets lucky with DNA tests. Depends what you're searching for. But it is always better to lay the groundwork of collecting and searching for as many documents and records as possible before jumping into a DNA test. The more information you gather ahead of time, the easier it will be to interpret your DNA results. That includes information about your father's side, which will help you distinguish from relatives on your mother's side.

Also, don't forget to search family trees in Ancestry. Since your mother is deceased, she may be in someone's family tree, although the accuracy of family trees is highly variable.

Last edited by aries63; 12-29-2022 at 10:47 AM..

Old 12-29-2022, 10:50 AM

7,364 posts, read 4,149,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Don't put the cart before the horse. If you can obtain her BC naming her birth parents then that could be sufficient, you won't need a DNA test. Not everyone gets lucky with DNA tests. Depends what you're searching for. But it is always better to lay the groundwork of collecting and searching for as many documents and records as possible before jumping into a DNA test. The more information you gather ahead of time, the easier it will be to interpret your DNA results. That includes information about your father's side, which will help you distinguish from relatives on your mother's side.

I just pulled out my father's Florida death certificate to see if his parents' are named. Yes, my father's parents are listed on his death certificate. My great-grandfather's NYC death certificate names his parents as well.

So I would get a death certificate first.

NYC is very fuss about requiring a death certificate before issuing a birth certificate.

My sister did DNA testing and didn't find out anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy