Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:14 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

1. Every search emphasizes the census.

2. Sometimes drilling down to what you want is difficult, even when looking for a record you know is there just to refer to it.

3. Sometimes the record I want is on page 3 or 4 of a 50 records per page search after sifting through dozens of other records first. So if I'm looking for James Smith, example, I have to look through every Tom, Dick or Harry Smith too. Yet exact searchs are too limiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 04:18 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Make it free.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:48 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
I am very grateful for the vast amount of information I have found on Ancestry.com, and for the helpful contacts I have had as a result of it.

The two shortcomings that repeatedly bug me are:

1. The rather large number of badly transcribed census document entries...some of the errors are so painfully obvious that it is unbelievable. It seems sometimes that a transcriber took no time to look and see if the goofy scramble of letters he has put down could actually be some other more reasonable name.

2. The seeming lack of control over the correction of errors in documents. They allow users to suggest alternative spellings, etc., and usually these seem good to reasonable. But some are done by mindless idiots and they need to have their hands slapped. I am researching the name Moon, and yes Moon does sometimes end up Moore, but not that frequently. However, some diphead has "corrected" kerzillion Moon records with Moore, clearly having read once that the confusion sometimes exists. I have come across so many Moon records, which are clearly written and which have clear preceding records under the name Moon, and yet there is Moore as an alternative name.

Nevertheless, I am quite happy with it overall and without it I would have gotten not nearly as far as I have.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:11 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times
I have had a paid membership for about 4 years now. I used to go every day all the time, then I get bored and don't come back for several months. I have found all the new versions of the tree frustrating. However, I am sure that is just me . When I come back after a month or so, I can never find the old buttons.

I also find searches need to be improved. If I enter John Smith and a birth year, I want to see ALL the people that meet that criteria FIRST.

Does anyone know where the search for the famous people you are related to is listed? It used to be right there on the front page!

Old 12-16-2009, 12:34 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
I recently cancelled my subscription because it was too expensive for the amount of information I was able to retrieve.

I found it frustrating to put in a John Doe, born 1932, Boise, Idaho and get returns of numerous dates and states rather than narrowing the returns to my original search. Also when searching for John Doe, it would return all John's without regard to the Doe.

I was going to volunteer to do transcribing but after listening to the training video I just became confused.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Make it free.
If it was free, it wouldn't be.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:39 PM

Ancestry.com is a great resource but the words "room for improvement" come to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
...2. The seeming lack of control over the correction of errors in documents. They allow users to suggest alternative spellings, etc., and usually these seem good to reasonable. But some are done by mindless idiots and they need to have their hands slapped...
I've noticed corrections and just the way they are presented makes it difficult to scan for the names you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
...I also find searches need to be improved. If I enter John Smith and a birth year, I want to see ALL the people that meet that criteria FIRST.

Does anyone know where the search for the famous people you are related to is listed? It used to be right there on the front page!
Yes, that's one thing that needs improving. I wish they wouldn't mix in a bunch of unrelated names. Seems like they need to program the filters better.

Famous page? Never knew they had one, though I've looked up famous people for the fun of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
...I found it frustrating to put in a John Doe, born 1932, Boise, Idaho and get returns of numerous dates and states rather than narrowing the returns to my original search. Also when searching for John Doe, it would return all John's without regard to the Doe.
That's what irritates me. Looking for an ancestor named Oliver recently and it was pulling up names that had an O for a middle initial!

With different last names!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I was going to volunteer to do transcribing but after listening to the training video I just became confused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
1. The rather large number of badly transcribed census document entries...some of the errors are so painfully obvious that it is unbelievable. It seems sometimes that a transcriber took no time to look and see if the goofy scramble of letters he has put down could actually be some other more reasonable name.
They have volunteers doing it? No wonder.

Someone told me some of these things had been outsourced overseas where they no sprechen the lingo.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:03 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
I have had a paid membership for about 4 years now. I used to go every day all the time, then I get bored and don't come back for several months. I have found all the new versions of the tree frustrating. However, I am sure that is just me . When I come back after a month or so, I can never find the old buttons.

I also find searches need to be improved. If I enter John Smith and a birth year, I want to see ALL the people that meet that criteria FIRST.

Why don't you cancel during the periods of time when you are not using it?

Old 12-18-2009, 01:53 PM

94 posts, read 257,576 times
1. Make. It. Free.
Most of this is government & civil records that our ancestors paid for in some fashion.

2. Every entry must be sourced. Even if it's 'based on information supplied by Aunt Celeste Smith after 2 gins on 12.01.09...'

3. Add some kind of Census info for 1880/1890, anything for chrissake!

4. Make it free. Seriously, there is something wrong on profiting from my relatives life.

5. As part of making free, all info is shared by default.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:59 PM

It's free at many libraries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy