Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 11:59 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Actually, Cleveland is like a secret. I've known people who have moved there to take a job and wound up liking it. It's going to be cold, but I've heard it has a lot of good attributes.
S-H-H-H-H-H! I know! I love that city. Don't give away the secret or it may become another Portland.

Last edited by Minervah; 03-30-2012 at 12:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 04:18 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Boston is romanticized?
I thought people overemphaszied winter and supposed gloom all winter. What they don't know is that summers here are getting more and more grey and humid and sticky, not really even hot, but 100 percent humidity without rain.
Maybe I've only heard people run down the expense and weather. Didn't know it was that romanticized. Hey, I'm living in a romantic area by accident!

Old 03-30-2012, 09:59 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
The problem also is people read "Forbes 10 happiest cities" or other blogs and get convinced it is a reality. Even in the library when you are relocating, most states only have Frommer's or Fodor's tour guides...its not very helpful.
Agreed. Forbes seems like the worst thing one can read to make up their mind about anything. The research they use is just bizarre.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:51 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I live in the honeymoon capital of the world and it's a great and wonderful city to live in. It's got everything I would ever need and more. It's got great places to eat and wonderful parks. Housing is very reasonable and nice. The education system is very good, crime is very low. I can sit in a nice park looking at the falls and across the river and thank God I don't live there in crazyland.
lol, so upstate NY is crazyland.

Besides big cities, some rural areas are romanticized as well. Some people want to find Mayberry USA, but they find a town like Hazard, Kentucky instead.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:59 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
S-H-H-H-H-H! I know! I love that city. Don't give away the secret or it may become another Portland.
It won't. People still remember about the river catching fire.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:03 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Boston is romanticized?
I thought people overemphaszied winter and supposed gloom all winter. What they don't know is that summers here are getting more and more grey and humid and sticky, not really even hot, but 100 percent humidity without rain.
Maybe I've only heard people run down the expense and weather. Didn't know it was that romanticized. Hey, I'm living in a romantic area by accident!
It's not for me. But I have heard think about going to college there or thought it may be cool to move there afterward. It's not for me. However, flying in and out of Logan, I thought that the way the area around the airport was all cut up by water and all the Cape Cod type houses was kind of cool, from what I could see from the plane window. I'm guilty of romanticizing Miami, but not Boston, not after seeing how much it costs to live there.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:08 PM

If you ever lived in Miami for a spell, you may be cured of romanticizing it, lol. And Miami proper can be as expensive as NYC to live.

Does anyone romanticize Vegas, or the desert as a place to live?

Old 04-01-2012, 09:45 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
If you ever lived in Miami for a spell, you may be cured of romanticizing it, lol. And Miami proper can be as expensive as NYC to live.

Does anyone romanticize Vegas, or the desert as a place to live?
Actually yes, a friend of mine who had lived in Portland all her life decided about ten years ago she wanted to live in Las Vegas. She moved and got a dream job. When the job disappeared, she came back to Portland but was not happy here.

She moved back to Vegas and although she struggles to find good jobs, she knows she wants to stay there.

I don't know if she romanticized Vegas in the beginning, but she certainly grew to prefer it.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:18 PM

Interesting, I think people could be divided by either wanting the ocean, or wanting the desert. I dont know many who prefer being landlocked though, which is where I am for now.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:11 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I'd be fine with being landlocked, but not somewhere where it is routinely in the triple digits in the summer, no matter how dry!
I am glad people favor the ocean- more space in the middle for the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues