Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:05 PM

398 posts, read 698,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
What about Maine? I romanticize Maine in my own mind. But how it is, really?
Check out my comment on Maine, page 3. It's true that the actual Mainers up here love Maine more than their own lives. Folks here will work 3+ jobs at once just to be able to live here. I am not one of them. I'm happy working 1 FT job and making enough money to enjoy life (albeit in a frugal way) - Maine is still not the place for that. The scenery in the tourist areas is really beautiful, but once you venture outside them, you can find some real slums where you'll still pay through the nose in rent, for some reason. Like Vermont and other New England regions, taxes are quite high, and I just don't feel that I'm getting anything in return for them, like paved roads, early snowplowing (9am is not early enough, sorry), etc. But if you're touring places, come check out Bar Harbor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 05:32 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehiesl View Post
Check out my comment on Maine, page 3. It's true that the actual Mainers up here love Maine more than their own lives. Folks here will work 3+ jobs at once just to be able to live here. I am not one of them. I'm happy working 1 FT job and making enough money to enjoy life (albeit in a frugal way) - Maine is still not the place for that. The scenery in the tourist areas is really beautiful, but once you venture outside them, you can find some real slums where you'll still pay through the nose in rent, for some reason. Like Vermont and other New England regions, taxes are quite high, and I just don't feel that I'm getting anything in return for them, like paved roads, early snowplowing (9am is not early enough, sorry), etc. But if you're touring places, come check out Bar Harbor
That is very interesting. Thank you for sharing that and I will go do some reading in the Maine threads...

Old 03-10-2012, 09:59 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
I never knew Maine was so romanticized. I guess I don't hear much about it in way out here in Wyoming. Do Maine residents romanticize Montana?

Old 03-11-2012, 03:15 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Hawaii is extremely romanticized, but we have the Hawaii Visitors Bureau which spends MILLIONS of taxpayer's dollars on promoting the whole "Paradise" idea (insert rainbows and dolphins dancing with unicorns here). I suppose the poor suckers "Moving To Their Hawaiian Paradise" aren't entirely at fault. There have been expensive advertising agencies trying to convince them where Paradise is. And actually, it is pretty close to paradise - if you are only here for two weeks, stay in all the tourists spots and spend money like crazy.

Well over half, I'd guess at least three quarters or maybe even more than that, go back within two years. They spend pretty much their life savings shipping tons of junk over here so they will be able to "Live In Paradise". They then try to live like they did where ever they came from and that doesn't work, usually because everything they need to live a "normal" life has to be shipped in from the mainland. They can't get a job here - who's gonna hire someone who's gonna leave within a year? And if they do find a job, it's not one which has a living wage. They can't afford to stay, sometimes they can't afford to go, either. It takes a pile of money to get off the rock when it's 2,100 miles (or more) away from where they came from. Most of them pay about $10K to ship all their stuff over and then sacrifice that stuff to make plane fare to get just themselves and a couple of suitcases back to the mainland. (Makes for some great yard sales.)

If you are going to "Move to Paradise" go to Florida, Montana, California, etc., you can at least hitch hike home if you have to after crashing and burning.

On the state forum, we do try to knock a little reality into their dreams of "Moving to Paradise" but they get extremely grumpy and call us rude names when we do.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:02 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
If you are going to "Move to Paradise" go to Florida, Montana, California, etc., you can at least hitch hike home if you have to after crashing and burning.

On the state forum, we do try to knock a little reality into their dreams of "Moving to Paradise" but they get extremely grumpy and call us rude names when we do.

Yes, you can at least hitchhike home. I know for me to get out of Montana was pretty tough, I actually had to move home for a few months to get the savings to move to Wyoming. I hate how the people on the state forum get so butt-hurt when you say things like this. Montana is really strange to hear complain since they hate outsiders so much. I think I'm doing them a favor by convincing them not to move there, but what do I know?

Old 03-11-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Yes, you can at least hitchhike home. I know for me to get out of Montana was pretty tough, I actually had to move home for a few months to get the savings to move to Wyoming. I hate how the people on the state forum get so butt-hurt when you say things like this. Montana is really strange to hear complain since they hate outsiders so much. I think I'm doing them a favor by convincing them not to move there, but what do I know?
I agree, I wish the state forums would allow for more controversy! If I wanted a brochure I'd go to the state's tourism website. Okay, I'm done with that old rant now...

Anyway, my question about romanticized locations is its relation to states' acceptance (or intolerance) of "outsiders." I've heard this about several states in the mid-west (isolationist policy) despite some posters' dream-experiences after moving out there. I think this acceptance makes a huge difference in one's perspective and can be a make-or-break, but could the successful movers comment on their experiences with the isolationism?

Old 03-11-2012, 01:53 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
it should be more realistic, no place is perfect and saying how it really is does not ruin a state in people's eyes...I love a small town in Pa, called Ashland, it feels like home to me but the downside is that there's no public transportation worth mentioning. So you need a car just to get to the mall or the movies. NYC is only a 3 hr ride by bus though and that's doable to me for a visit to Broadway or so, to get away for the day...It's very pretty and you have grocery stores, library, parks, small shops a few restaurants...I had to leave because of the sad job situation. Otherwise I'd love to go back to retire someday.....let's say 10 years from now....

Old 03-11-2012, 03:25 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
Quote:
I agree, I wish the state forums would allow for more controversy! If I wanted a brochure I'd go to the state's tourism website. Okay, I'm done with that old rant now...

Anyway, my question about romanticized locations is its relation to states' acceptance (or intolerance) of "outsiders." I've heard this about several states in the mid-west (isolationist policy) despite some posters' dream-experiences after moving out there. I think this acceptance makes a huge difference in one's perspective and can be a make-or-break, but could the successful movers comment on their experiences with the isolationism?
If you go there and try to change the dynamic (whether you think it works or you don't) you will be resented and disliked.

I moved to Nebraska from SC and was told that the people here were rude, nasty, and resented outsiders. I moved here with a purpose, though; and not to change anything for anyone else, only to change it for me and DH. We get along great with our neighbors, we are not afraid to ask questions about 'how do you do this?' and - we make fun of ourselves!

While most of the folks around here are cattle ranchers with vast acreages, we have 60 acres and a farmhouse on the edge of a tiny town. The first year we stayed home and restored the house, the second and third years we moved in "miniature" cattle, a small horse, and chickens, and this year we are starting an orchard and beekeeping. The locals laugh at our 'miniature' cows (Dexters) and how they are pets; they even call our place "The Petting Zoo" because our animals are so gentle and good with kids. We laugh right along with them! It's fun and funny and we get along with most everyone - but we didn't come here to be popular or try to tell other people what to do. We have had no problem fitting in and we are quite happy and comfortable in our own skins, doing what we love, and we don't mind if people think we are a little crazy. We stay out of local politics and gossip, mind our own business, and are polite to everyone. I work part-time at the local school, and we teach 'city kids' who want to learn about cows but are afraid of /don't have access to the big cattle how to show them - last year one girl won 2 blue ribbons with 'her' steer!

You can choose how or whether people accept you - or not.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
If you go there and try to change the dynamic (whether you think it works or you don't) you will be resented and disliked.

I moved to Nebraska from SC and was told that the people here were rude, nasty, and resented outsiders. I moved here with a purpose, though; and not to change anything for anyone else, only to change it for me and DH. We get along great with our neighbors, we are not afraid to ask questions about 'how do you do this?' and - we make fun of ourselves!

You can choose how or whether people accept you - or not.
SCGranny, I'm going to move to Nebraska and live that life! And hold you personally accountable for all events thereafter, just kidding You're right, it does depend on how much you want to fit in. I am curious though about the local attitude's influence on relocators' decisions to stay (or leave) their "paradise". I for one would see no point in changing a way of life (that even possible?), however I've heard from Mainers trying to move south that they just could not deal with the southern distaste for the yanks. Nothing so much *about* the yanks, just the fact that they may have a different accent and voice their origins. In the meantime I try to come up with things southerners would hate about Mainers...

Old 03-12-2012, 09:48 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
I really liked Florida. I had the romanticized image in my head and moved there 10 years ago....and it has worked out.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. However, I was able to secure a good job, good group of friends, nice place to live by the beach, etc.

I wouldn't trade my life and location for anything at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues