Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:12 AM

137 posts, read 177,579 times

Advertisements

I love reading everyones stories

My husband and I & our two kids are moving from MI to FL in a few weeks. We have no mortgage on our house in MI so we are keeping that as a rental and close on our 2nd home at the end of the month. I am excited for a change! We have no family or friends in FL but oh well! Life is too short to be shoveling snow half the year LOL I have family in Arizona so I think in 3-5 years we might sell the home in FL and move out West for another change but maybe rent next time.

The key is to make sure you have plenty of money saved up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 05:34 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
This extreme idea tends to be extremely popular with people in my 18-25 age bracket and celebrities, people who just decide to move 1,000 miles away to somewhere random and start over. How is that something to do? I want to hear stories about this. What did that person, or you, do to prepare? What was the outcome? How did that person, or you, make out?
Don't overthink it. From my experience the older you get the more cautious you get. It certainly takes a brave person to land in a city, walk around exploring during the day, and knowing you are on the clock to find a place to sleep for the night.

However, I've always had an idea of where I wanted to go so it wasn't random.

What I've done to prepare was:

* Had some unexpected expenses cash on hand.

* Tried to have a contact in the city already or spent a week scouting it out before hand. Moving to a place sight unseen seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

* Did some research on where things were located and where I might want to live (but nothing to the level of people here on CD).

* Took short-term general work while I looked for something solid as I went.

* Limited the number of possessions I owned.

The outcome was living life. Some of the best years of my life so far. I may have a knack for this sort of thing, but just about every move I've made has worked out.

Just remember you can always make more money, but some experiences (and time) may be lost to you forever once you age out of certain things.

Last edited by Port Pitt Ash; 09-24-2015 at 06:05 PM..

Old 09-25-2015, 11:52 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
I moved for graduate school, which I guess wasn't random, but I purposefully chose a graduate school over 1000mi away. I just wanted to get away from everything. I love my family, but I could not live near that toxic environment any longer. I speak with them a few times a month, and it's perfect.

The wife and I are thinking about moving again. We like change, but do want to settle down to somewhere more permanent next year.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:48 PM

15 posts, read 13,962 times
For me, I didn't prepare much for it. As soon as I had a place to live and a job set up, I packed up the car and left. Maybe not the best idea for everyone, but I liked the adventure of going somewhere new where I didn't know anyone. It probably helped that it was at a point in my life when I was making some changes and I had the freedom to do it.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:27 AM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I've done that several times.

I had a nest egg before I moved. One or the other, you have a job or a good chunk of savings before you go. If you don't have either one, chances are you will fail.

There's the main thing you need to know, right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues