Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 04:19 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,663,365 times

Advertisements

I would love to just pack up and leave, in fact I often dream of doing this. The problem is, I have kids and my husband works out of state and we are tied to this life. I am jealous of people who can just go.
I feel I was born with a gypsy soul, I love to wonder, be free to leave at will, try new places, see new people, like the wind blows, be free to roam.
The only time I get to express my spontaneous urge to to see other places is on summer road trips, I often decide to go somewhere without much planning and just hit the road.
Glad it's almost summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I've done it three times so far (may just do it again). I left home the day after I turned 18 years old---left the midwest with a one-way ticket to San Diego and $25 in my pocket. I stayed in S.D. for 12 years (great place to live when you're in your 20s). Once my son was born--and getting to be school age, my husband and I hauled ourselves back to the midwest--mainly for affordable housing (houses are crazy expensive in Southern California). Now my son is grown, and I am no longer married. I quit my long-term corporate management job two years ago to move to south central Mexico to be with the love of my life and to teach English. I lived there for 14 months. I came back to the midwest a few months ago because I didn't want to miss my son's graduation from college (and to help my Dad with some health issues he was having.) Once my Dad's health improves and my son's career takes off, I plan to go back to Mexico. Love it there.
Wow, this sounds perfect, I would love to do this. I wish my kids were grown up and moved out though.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Hi - I think i share that same free spirit as you, though i always stay around places in illinois, either city or suburbs because I have a great job. But every year or two I feel the need to move, either the place I pick loses its luster for me, or i get tired of the commute and decide this is not the place for me. People think im nuts, but hey I dont own a home and i get antsy. I just say I have OCD and this is how I roll. I dont have much excitement in my life, so maybe thats why. I think its my life and if I live in one place just to please someone, i get terribly tied down like a bird in a cage that wants to just fly.
This is how I feel most of the time too.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by existingbutnothere View Post
Is $5000 enough to just "up and leave"? I am a 30 yo college educated professional. I have a good job in Social Services with excellent benefits and currently live with my significant other in a beautiful apartment In NoVa, but I am just not happy. For years I have been wanting to just "GO", but was always afraid. Recently I have started having these feelings again and want to just quit my job, leave my lover a letter, load up my car and drive. Is this reasonable? Someone please help. I feel like if I stay I will end up in a marriage with children and never have the opportunity to do this and if I leave, I may end up failing. I have never felt so lost. HELP!
Yes this is reasonable, go, just do it, if you don't you'll regret it later. You're obviously one of the free spirits, you need to be set free, to try new things, do it now before you are TRAPPED!!!

Old 02-25-2013, 02:09 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,865,579 times
I did that when I retired. Moved from the south to a small town out west, didn't know anyone there. Long story but basically wanted a change. Loved it there, moved again, hated where I moved to and moving back. It took about a week in that small town to make new friends, still have all my old friends. Sometimes it's nice to have a change, get out of a rut.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:44 PM

745 posts, read 1,582,622 times
gosh, 4 days for me now. Getting kinda nervous. Saying goodbyes is tough, especially to the ones you know you'll never see again. My close friends? Nah, not too bad considering I'll most likely be back visiting in a year for weddings and babies and such. It's the ones you'll never see again that hits hard the most. I can't believe i'm doing all of this alone tho. Luckily i have a friend flying to Florida and meeting me there, so we can both explore for 8 days. But after she leaves, then i'm all alone. It's just really daunting! Probably because I've been living in the same apartment for 7 years, and had the same 2 jobs for 6 years, so my routine was definitely in a rut! Excited to go on an adventure tho.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:46 PM

745 posts, read 1,582,622 times
24 hours!

I just sent my stuff in 6 boxes thru USPS and it cost me 245. Not taking any furniture. Pretty good considering the alternatives.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:08 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,528,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
24 hours!

I just sent my stuff in 6 boxes thru USPS and it cost me 245. Not taking any furniture. Pretty good considering the alternatives.
Good luck! Make sure that you get to the airport early.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,354 times
Default Moving to new place I have never Been

I am planning to pack up and move to Rogers Arkansas on May 1 and have never been there. But I have lived in Tyler, TX for so many years and it is not a friendly place to live. Very cliquish and either your filthy rich or dirt poor and there is no in between. I have been looking for a place to live and I think I did tonight. Waiting for tomorrow night to talk to the lady again. I am 50 and my son is a high functioning autistic person that works as a night stocker at a grocery store and we both want to do this. His hours are getting cut after 9 years and the company is going nuts with this. So we are going to move to Rogers and pay 4 months rent and pray that he gets a job in that time and we will live off of my disability while we wait. I am just wondering what you all think about doing this. I have a mother here, and my other son and grand kids live here but I don't ever see them, they all have their own lives. My mother and I eat out once a week but that is it. I talk to her everyday on the phone but I can do that from Arkansas. My daughter in laws family lives in Oklahoma, not far from Rogers and when my son and her come see her family they can come see us. It is 6 hours from here so that isn't across the world. I am a little nervous but after talking to several people from that area I am feeling somewhat more relieved about it and I am a little excited. Please give me advice.. Would someone my age do this???

Old 03-21-2013, 03:08 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,906 times
I did this recently. It was 3 am in the morning, and I was like "You know what, I'm done with this..." I packed all my things, half convinced I'd turn back...

After 2 hours on the road, I realized I wasn't going back. I remember thinking "wow, this is really happening".

Edit: Surprised a phrase that rhymes with "brew it" is considered vulgar. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues