Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:28 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times

Advertisements

I am going out to visit CA, and since the time frame will be soon, I am going with getting a google voice number and using a friend's address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:50 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,932,740 times
My thoughts on this.... I wouldn't do it unless I knew I had enough saved up to live off of if I can't find a job right away.

A few years ago my now wife and I had a chane to relocate. However I didn't feel comforable doing it unless we both had something lined up or had a few strong leads where we felt confident we'd get jobs quickly.

In the end though... it was too hard to leave when we were already making decent money and living comfortably... why risk ruining that?

That's just ME though... :-)

Old 08-08-2013, 09:29 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I am going out to visit CA, and since the time frame will be soon, I am going with getting a google voice number and using a friend's address.

Good luck- I know you haven't been able to find work in a while....

And thank you for your advice a few months ago.....I quit school. You are right I cannot afford school and didn't want to suck my savings-I'm going to go into a different field (close to my old industry though) and pay for classes while I work.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Good luck- I know you haven't been able to find work in a while....

And thank you for your advice a few months ago.....I quit school. You are right I cannot afford school and didn't want to suck my savings-I'm going to go into a different field (close to my old industry though) and pay for classes while I work.
Thanks I am glad it seems to be working out for your better? I have already found more interest in me working in Silicon Valley/So Cal. I have family in So Cal that I could stay with for a bit.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:48 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Thanks I am glad it seems to be working out for your better? I have already found more interest in me working in Silicon Valley/So Cal. I have family in So Cal that I could stay with for a bit.

Yep probably moving back to Denver-

Good for you-I hope it works out...So Cal. is nice.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:02 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I couldn't "recommend" it, but I think more people will have to take this type of risk in the future if this "local candidates only" BS keeps up. If you are in a depressed area, it is almost impossible to find a job out of state unless you have a highly specific skill needed in that area. It's not safe to do, especially with kids, but getting a job from out of state in most places is almost impossible.

If I was going to move somewhere without a job lined up, it would be an area that has a strong economy like IA, MN, NE, etc.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:02 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
Thoughts from someone that just moved without a job.....

If you rent an apartment that is owned by a management company (especially the bigger ones), expect to have proof of 1 year in savings to pay for the apt (not up front, just need proof of accessible monies), or to have a co-signer on the lease (that isn't your BF) that makes up to 4x the rent. That is what I was told when I looked for an apartment w/o a job.

I would suggest having at least 6 months, but preferably a years worth saved up. Jobs usually aren't found within a few months. Someone suggested short-term housing, I'd second this unless you can find somewhere very central and don't mind commuting until your lease runs out (I did the latter because I don't like un/packing and figured I can suck up a bad commute for a year).

Also, many people have suggested, just getting a low-level job, sorry to say, but those aren't easy to come by either (depending on the market). Know your market and know what is out there. I could say, "oh, I'll just go work at McDonald's", but the reality is, 100 other people say that and well, I have no experience in the industry, I doubt they'd hire me. They'd probably hire the person who worked at Burger King before.

If you lie about your address (this is also for you Colorado xxxxx), be sure you have the time and funds to fly out the next day. I got an interviews out of state. I had put my new address on my resume as I was leaving soon. They said, "I thought your resume said you were here" and I said, "I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, it was stated in my cover letter when I was moving, since I didn't know how long the process would take". They were holding interviews only on one day and I had a specific time slot (the time could be adjusted, but not the date). Thankfully, they agreed to a Skype interview, but if they didn't, I would have had to flown up with very little forewarning. Make sure you have the time and money for the last minute flights (or drive). Many have agreed that the phone number doesn't need to be local (with cellphones, there's no reason nowadays to change your number).

You may have an easier time getting a job when you move...or not. That's why I suggest having a LOT of savings. I applied to 4 jobs before I moved. Got 2 interviews. Since I moved, I've applied to 20 jobs, no interviews (not yet....I hope). Hmmm....

I moved without a job. But I also have about 1-1.5 years worth of savings. I also have a lot of experience in my field that I can use at temp agencies to get work. I am also going to, most likely, have to take a huge paycut (including the difference in cost of living). Which means in order to secure a job, and move up within it, I'll still have to live off of my savings a bit.

If I only had 3 months of savings, I wouldn't have moved. I only did it because I knew I could sustain myself for at least a year. I mean truly, who knows how long it will take to find a job.

Lastly, don't forget, it's true y'know, it's harder to get a job when you don't have one (because many places state in their requirements that you MUST have had a job within the past 30 days). I apply anyways and hope they'll overlook my lapse in employment (I've been out of a job for 3 months).

Whatever you choose, be VERY prepared. If you don't have a lot of savings, I suggest not moving unless you can live with family/friends for free and afford to store your belongings. If you have a lot of savings that will sustain you for at least 6 months (more if possible), then go for it.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I don't regret my choice.....but then again, if I have no income for another 12 months, I might regret it.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:32 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
^I would advise against getting an apartment before getting a job. An apartment will drain your savings in a heartbeat. This is a great way to end up having to throw in the towel and move back to where you came from or ending up homeless in your new city. Find cheaper accomodations, such as renting a room where you are not on the hook for all bills by yourself. This will give you some structure while diminishing the impact of rent, utilities, etc. I would never rent an apartment without a job. That money you threw down for a deposit may be needed. Not to mention if you struggle to find work, not only have you used all your savings trying to live the life you are accustomed to prior to finding work, you put yourself in a position where you have to break your lease and can't rent down the road. Renting an apartment without a job is just a bad bad idea.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:35 PM

893 posts, read 1,207,145 times
You are likely finding it hard to get a job because companies are uneasy about hiring someone who doesn't live nearby. They think the person could end up moving and not like the new city, and end up quitting on them. Or they think the person might even just balk at moving and never show up.

I think the key is to make it known that while you are not in the new city yet, you are definitely 100% going to be there by the time you are needed to start your job.

My wife and I were looking to move from Michigan to Maine just earlier this year (we decided in January and really started applying to jobs and stuff in February). Neither of us had a job in Maine though, so when we applied we put down in the cover letters, etc. that the other person already had a job lined up, that we were for sure moving no matter what, etc.

Basically I just told them, when they asked why we were moving, was that my wife had recieved an offer to work in Portland, so I was also looking for employment in the area so that I would be able to work there too. She, likewise, told them that I had already gotten a position in Portland, and that she was looking for one as well. We both said we would be in Portland by the end of June, regardless of whether the company offered us a job or not.

I eventually did get an offer, and I think it was partially based on the premise that they believed I would be living in Maine anyways, so they had no reason to doubt that I would be there. Truth be told, if I hadn't gotten the job, we would have stayed in Michigan. But within 3 weeks of receiving the official offer, I put in my notice at my old job, we went out to Maine, found an apartment, came back to load up a U-haul and made the move.

While it may not have been 100% true that we were coming regardless (it was true that we were coming as long as we got a job offer), we basically had to tell them that or else we'd probably still be in Michigan as no one might have hired us.

Last edited by JoulesMSU; 08-09-2013 at 02:47 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 02:44 PM

Good news..........I am getting enough positive feedback from CA that I may just go without anything firm. Seems to be much more demand for high tech sales in CA than CO, it's just saturated here in Denver Metro with my skillset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues