Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for each you think is well known nationally
Buffalo 80 90.91%
Scranton 24 27.27%
Albany 33 37.50%
Hershey 24 27.27%
Harrisburg 12 13.64%
Binghampton 3 3.41%
Syracuse 46 52.27%
Allentown 10 11.36%
Erie 10 11.36%
Rochester 28 31.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:38 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,211,998 times

Advertisements

Buffalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 10:17 PM

128 posts, read 298,321 times
Only Buffalo is well known nationally.

Most people have probably at least heard of Albany and Syracuse.

People outside of the Mid-Atlantic probably don't know much or anything about any of them.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:50 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Well 285 thread views and only Buffalo has more than 25 votes (at this time). Being we are on a website that discusses different areas of the country I am going to assume there is a little bit more knowledge of geography here than the general public.
With that being said I am going to say of all listed that only Buffalo is really know nationwide and that is still debatable.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:59 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
I kind of agree with most of the others that Buffalo, Albany, Syracuse and Harrisburg are probably most known. Binghamton is probably least known. As evidence to the fact, it's even misspelled in the poll!

Old 06-18-2010, 06:19 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Well 285 thread views and only Buffalo has more than 25 votes (at this time). Being we are on a website that discusses different areas of the country I am going to assume there is a little bit more knowledge of geography here than the general public.
With that being said I am going to say of all listed that only Buffalo is really know nationwide and that is still debatable.
I find it suprising that people, other than children or recent immigrants, never heard of Buffalo. And Albany and Harrisburg are state capitals, something we are supposed to learn in grade school.

Btw why didn't you simply ask us if we heard of them? Did you ever hear of these cities - yes or no? It would have made more sense than trying to guess what other people are thinking.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:53 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I find it suprising that people, other than children or recent immigrants, never heard of Buffalo. And Albany and Harrisburg are state capitals, something we are supposed to learn in grade school.

Btw why didn't you simply ask us if we heard of them? Did you ever hear of these cities - yes or no? It would have made more sense than trying to guess what other people are thinking.
I didn't ask if people had heard of them because as I stated, "Being we are on a website that discusses different areas of the country I am going to assume there is a little bit more knowledge of geography here than the general public."

I have heard of all of them but I am from the NE so I will have more knowledge of NE cities than say someone from California and they did not come to mind when thinking about major cities that are known nationwide.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:14 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Harrisburg is 3 mile Island. I would have forgitten it was the capital if you hadn't reminded me.

I was very young when that happened but at one point they were going evacuate everyone within 150 miles. that would be 40 million people (NYC/Philly/Balt/DC/Pittsburgh) what a disaster that would have been

Old 06-18-2010, 09:35 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
I've heard of all of them except for Binghamton. Never even heard of it, no clue what state its even in. Are they well known, well, not really. Sure, Buffalo, the Bills, Niagara Falls, and wings. Hershey for chocolate, Scranton for The Office, and Syracuse because of basketball, but that's really about it. They don't really come on my radar often.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:54 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I've heard of all of them except for Binghamton. Never even heard of it, no clue what state its even in. Are they well known, well, not really. Sure, Buffalo, the Bills, Niagara Falls, and wings. Hershey for chocolate, Scranton for The Office, and Syracuse because of basketball, but that's really about it. They don't really come on my radar often.
that's a pretty good breakdown. yeah, the Office definitely put Scranton on the map lol.

and for us older folks "Allentown" from that Billy Joel song

Old 06-18-2010, 10:00 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

You have to remember that many people in this country aren't intelligent. I have also noticed that many people on city-data don't know much outside of their own states, so that may be why people don't know of Harrisburg and Albany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.