Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 12:48 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times

Advertisements

Why is it even being discussed "how" it sounds in the South. Due to the size and varying degrees of people/classes you'll find in the South, the "Southern Accent" varies quite a bit from state to state, different parts of the state, different cities, etc. It's more of a template rather than a standard. Because of that, it's totally believable that someone hasn't heard a particular variation of "y'all".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 01:13 PM

767 posts, read 2,290,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I hope so. It's the only logical way to say "you" in a plural form in our language. "You guys" is what people say where I'm from, but "y'all" makes more sense. It's a contraction of "you all," and should be considered acceptable everywhere, in my opinion. Hopefully it will be someday.
Just looked thru my dictionary and I find y'all, and you-all but I could not find youse guys.

Last edited by mccarley; 08-17-2010 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 08-17-2010, 01:43 PM

9 posts, read 15,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
You mean like, what are ya doing? I hear ya'll, but that's from people with Southern and urban accents. I say ya like that all the time though, I don't know ya, what are ya doing, how long are ya staying, like that. But that's for one person not usually more. When I say it, it sounds like, yuh, don't know if that's what you heard.
No I definitely hear it when directed towards a group. There's definitely a difference between "ya" as you used it and "yall" as it's said in the NE

Old 08-17-2010, 02:17 PM

423 posts, read 823,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
It's a contraction of "you all," and should be considered acceptable everywhere, in my opinion.
I've been all over United States I have never heard anyone saying you all. It's either y'all or you guys.

Apparently it is only used in two states.

PS. I don't guarantee the accuracy of this map

Old 08-17-2010, 03:27 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,642,678 times
I wonder how my Atlanta constituents pronounce it. I've read that others from my city say it in a more subdued way (because of their families say things differently). I really want to hear how mixed the speech is from my ATL, Houston, Dallas, and Miami folks. (youtube it with a hand over the camera).

Anyway, I think a lot of people outside of the South still stigmatize "y'all" as uneducated-hick language. I use y'all, you all, and you guys (when speaking to a group of guys) interchangeably (y'all with a lead though).

Old 08-17-2010, 03:30 PM

72,997 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I wonder how my Atlanta constituents pronounce it. I've read that others from my city say it in a more subdued way (because of their families say things differently). I really want to hear how mixed the speech is from my ATL, Houston, Dallas, and Miami folks. (youtube it with a hand over the camera).

Anyway, I think a lot of people outside of the South still stigmatize "y'all" as uneducated-hick language. I use y'all, you all, and you guys (when speaking to a group of guys) interchangeably (y'all with a lead though).
I live in the Atlanta area and I don't use the word "y'all". I use the words "You guys", "yous guys","yous" and "you all". I have lived in metro Atlanta since 1996.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:36 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
you're either trolling or lying.

i've been to georgia and have heard ppl pronounce ya'll yaowl. the same in nc and south carolina.

maybe you should get out a little more? or perhaps you can't hear your own accent and those around you...i know my gf swears that she doesn't have one and that *i* sound "funny."

my gf sounds like a stereotypical southerner with the whole won't/want, yaowll/ya'll, thang/thing stuff.
I've lived in Georgia over thirty years, so I know what I'm talking about. I'm not trolling, kid.

By the way, who would know how the majority of a population pronounces "y'all"? A native southerner, or someone living in NYC?

Old 08-17-2010, 03:42 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post

I'm from the Atlanta area, and it has always been Y + ALL or Y-AWL around here. Have you heard anyone around here say "YOWL", something that rhymes with OWL?

Old 08-17-2010, 03:42 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
I hear that pronunciation of "yall" with Southern African Americans, but not Southern Whites usually. I think that's where the confusion came from.

Southern Blacks- Yao
Southern Whites- Yawl

That's how it generally is around Memphis^ I can't say that it's like that across the South though.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:43 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I live in the Atlanta area and I don't use the word "y'all". I use the words "You guys", "yous guys","yous" and "you all". I have lived in metro Atlanta since 1996.
I've never heard of "yous guys" or "yous" that sounds more hillbilly than y'all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.