Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 06:38 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,785,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I live in middle America, the Heartland and I am damn proud of where I live. Here people still talk to each other, we know our neighbors, there is a true sense of community, it is safe, kids can ride their bicycles without worrying about getting shot by some gang member, here in Des Moines, there are no ethnic ghettos like in the amazing "open minded" Liberal cities, crime is very low, homes are affordable, our schools are good, our streets are clean and not full of garbage and grafitti.

If there is anything close to "real America", this is it. The anomalies are Liberal places where people believe in redistribution of income, gay marriage, this "diversity" BS, big Government, nanny state, high taxes. No wonder, a lot of people are fleeing these Liberal crapholes like CA, MI, NY and relocating to places like TX, NC, NV, AZ etc
Those liberal crapholes drive the world economy. have the highest standards of living, and define american culture and social issues.

Btw, gay marriage...YOU'RE FROM IOWA. You fogetting something? Actually if you had been the new england or the northeast, you'd find there is a live and let live attitude by the people and the governments. its usually in the south and middle america where governments dictate social policies through the Bible-church and state my friend, read the constitution some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 06:45 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The Church of England and Episcopalians used to be referred to as the "frozen chosen" because yes, they were very private and did not wear their faith on their sleeve. The Pentocostals, Baptists and Methodists are not that reserved.
Or that sensible or courteous. Improvements in mass communication have made the chore a somewhat less frequent one, but it is still tedious to have to explain to foreign guests that the prevalence of god-freaks here is not some sign that all Americans are in fact backward-thinking yahoos.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:49 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,508,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Those liberal crapholes drive the world economy. have the highest standards of living, and define american culture and social issues.
The midwest has done more for the world economy than any city on the coast. All you people do is push money around. You never make anything. You never any create real wealth.

If you call sitting in 4 hours of traffic a day or sitting on some crowded subway or not being able to send your kid to the local public school because they'll get shot a high standard of living then good for you. Enjoy.

There are social issues and culture everywhere. It shows a lack of intellect to think only liberal cities on the coasts have culture and social issues.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:50 AM

646 posts, read 393,990 times
you know, barry bonds once said that he would never play for the redsox because of race relations in MA. the northeast is also the whitest area in the country, so you might refer to them as separatists. kind of strange that you move to CA, which is without a doubt, the most racist state in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post

Btw, gay marriage...YOU'RE FROM IOWA. You fogetting something? Actually if you had been the new england or the northeast, you'd find there is a live and let live attitude by the people and the governments. its usually in the south and middle america where governments dictate social policies through the Bible-church and state my friend, read the constitution some time.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:08 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
I live in middle America, the Heartland and I am damn proud of where I live. Here people still talk to each other, we know our neighbors, there is a true sense of community, it is safe, kids can ride their bicycles without worrying about getting shot by some gang member, here in Des Moines, there are no ethnic ghettos like in the amazing "open minded" Liberal cities, crime is very low, homes are affordable, our schools are good, our streets are clean and not full of garbage and grafitti.
According to FBI statistics on reported crimes, actual crime rates in Des Moines have been comparable to those in Cleveland, and worse than those in Baltimore or Washington, DC. Of course, you might be most familiar with some of the better neighborhoods where this would not be so apparent.

Quote:
If there is anything close to "real America", this is it. The anomalies are Liberal places where people believe in redistribution of income, gay marriage, this "diversity" BS, big Government, nanny state, high taxes. No wonder, a lot of people are fleeing these Liberal crapholes like CA, MI, NY and relocating to places like TX, NC, NV, AZ etc
Yes, the numbers of our inserted liberal-voting sleeper-cells are increasing in these states. A takeover in NC is already within reach and TX will be soon to follow.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:16 AM

17,410 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
There are social issues and culture everywhere. It shows a lack of intellect to think only liberal cities on the coasts have culture and social issues.

I don't think it's a lack of intellect ... I think it's the OPs age and lack of worldy experience. (And OP, no matter how well traveled you claim to be, nothing is a substitute for face time on the planet. Sorry.)

The young soak up the liberal train of thought because, well, it's pretty easy to pull the wool over the young pups eyes. Once quite a few of them make their way through the real world & gain some financial standing, they realize they didn't have a clue when they were in their 20s. And that all those hopes & dreams of social change & entitlements have to come out of THEIR pocket ... and MAYBE it's better to teach a man to fish instead of giving him a fish every day for the rest of his life. It's then that a lot of 'em change their tune pretty quick.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:17 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Isn't California where the devil lives?

Old 09-04-2010, 08:18 AM

508 posts, read 1,513,012 times
Thread summary:

I drove across country, stopped a few times and will now make a conclusion based on my tiny sampling of truck stop, restaurant and billboard observations.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post
you think that people will vote against their financial interests for social reasons? it'll never happen. what's happening in the inner cities is known as gentrification. it's when liberals move into a city, raise property values, and property taxes, and then force out poor minorities. then those same liberals wag their fingers at conservatives claiming they don't care about minorities.
What's the Matter with Kansas? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America (2004) is a book written by American journalist and historian Thomas Frank, which explores the rise of conservative populism in the United States through the lens of his native state of Kansas. Once a hotbed of the left-wing Populist movement of the late nineteenth century, it has become overwhelmingly conservative in recent decades.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:25 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,582,338 times
I drove across the country and now I think know everything about every city and state is what he says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.