Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:41 PM

166 posts, read 612,284 times

Advertisements

I always tend to think New York City (specifically The Bronx and parts of Brooklyn) or various urban centers in New Jersey (like Newark, Paterson, Camden, Trenton and Union City). I'm Puerto Rican, originally from Jersey, and our blend of New York and Puerto Rican cultures seem to immediatel ring "Hispanic" in my mind. One interesting thing to note is that I have fam in Chicago, two cousin who are or were married to Mexicans. When I visited their hoods (McKinley Park and Cicero) the overall flavor becomes much different than what it is east. I don't think many non-Hispanic Americans (or even some Hispanics) realize the difference between certain Hispanic cultures, like Mexicans and Puerto Ricans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 11:57 PM

28 posts, read 82,673 times
Moderator cut: off topic

My parents immigrated here from Brazil and I never considered myself Hispanic or Latino, we speak Portuguese anyways, but my parents always taught us to be American first and be around Americans, although I am aware I am probably not considered White, I am still a country boy and damn proud of it!

I ended up growing up in a small country-redneck town and I love the country lifestyle. It is sad that so many "Hispanics" refuse to assimilate American culture and just segregate themselves to ethnic ghettos.

Last edited by Bo; 09-10-2010 at 04:29 PM..

Old 09-09-2010, 10:32 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,315,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
I always tend to think New York City (specifically The Bronx and parts of Brooklyn) or various urban centers in New Jersey (like Newark, Paterson, Camden, Trenton and Union City). I'm Puerto Rican, originally from Jersey, and our blend of New York and Puerto Rican cultures seem to immediatel ring "Hispanic" in my mind. One interesting thing to note is that I have fam in Chicago, two cousin who are or were married to Mexicans. When I visited their hoods (McKinley Park and Cicero) the overall flavor becomes much different than what it is east. I don't think many non-Hispanic Americans (or even some Hispanics) realize the difference between certain Hispanic cultures, like Mexicans and Puerto Ricans.
Yeah cicero is mostly mexican (with some central americans i belive). Humboldt park and logan square are the only authentic puerto rican places in Chicago. Actually they might be the only ones outside of the East coast.

mas23

Old 09-09-2010, 10:34 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,821,808 times
Miami

Old 09-09-2010, 12:35 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,200,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Yeah cicero is mostly mexican (with some central americans i belive). Humboldt park and logan square are the only authentic puerto rican places in Chicago. Actually they might be the only ones outside of the East coast.

mas23
Isn't Logan Square mixed up(Mexicans, Puerto Ricans and Cubans)?

Puerto Ricans are the largest Hispanic group in Cleveland proper and the metro. Florida has more Puerto Ricans than us surprisingly .

Old 09-09-2010, 12:48 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
I think of the Majority of the South West, and some southern and Western States (such as Texas and Cali)

Old 09-09-2010, 01:16 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,375,200 times
San Antonio is clearly Hispanic, but it's too Mexican.
Miami is really the most diverse city about hispanics Cubans dominate, but it's the favorite city for colombians, venezuelans, peruvians...

Old 09-09-2010, 01:32 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
I used to think of cities with a high number of Caribbeans (NYC, Miami) but in New Mexico, the term Hispanic is often used to distinguish the local population of Spanish descent (culturally, if not entirely genetically) from Mexicans.

Therefore, in New Mexico, I tend to think of some areas as being more Hispanic and some areas as more Mexican.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:41 PM

85 posts, read 238,141 times
Default Hispanic Population

The first place for me would be LA. Although they are everywhere. At the same time people shouldnt look down on them like a lot of people do. Im a white male. I bought my house 5 yrs ago north of Chicago. The hole area was pretty much Hispanic. I found that they are no different than I. They are trying to take care of their family. They seem to do it well. They always treated me good. I just happen to be legal and most of them are not. They are goood people. You have bad in all. Now with all the forclosures. My neighborhood is mostly White. Now I prefer it that way. Its a known fact if most are white, the value on homes are up. Im not knocking Hispanics when I say that. It s just a known fact.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:45 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,582,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Well the name is Spanish and it is majority Hispanic. It seems to be about the largest city in the US with a Hispanic majority. Its current mayor, Julian Castro, is Hispanic. Mexican-American Henry Cisneros was their mayor in the 1980s. Although it might not fit as well as some cities.
I would have to say in bold very well justifies the Hispanic presence in that city.

I was actually being sarcastic to the person who said they thought San Antonio "for some reason", but it's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.