Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:02 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times

Advertisements

NYC. There are many things to do. And NYC is just great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 06:10 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecogirl6425 View Post
What's your favorite city in the United States and why?
This is a tough one.

I have never been to Seattle, but I have a funny feeling if I ever go there, it is going to be my favorite city.

That having been said. Small city (under 500,000) a tie between Springfield, Missouri, and Corpus Christi, Texas.

Large city (over 500,000) would probably be Tampa/St. Petersburg area of Florida which I realize is two separate towns, but that is the best I can do.

20yrsinBranson

ETA: Indianapolis is good too.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:28 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Seattle is my favorite city in the USA. It's where I live. The people, culture, lifestyle, and high tech work in the area make it one of the more unique areas of the nation. It's also home to one of the US's most diverse zip codes (Beacon Hill area), has a unique mix of diverse ethnicities and mentalities (make no mistake, it's not AS diverse as, say, San Fran, but the diversity of thought more than makes up for it, hell, even certain ultra-right-wing radio personalities live here ... and love it ... I cannot, by my word, reveal who).

Chicago is a near second because I grew up there and it just ... fits. Like an old shoe.

In the world .... Probably a tie between Hiroshima and Barcelona.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:31 PM

639 posts, read 1,289,049 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

Old 01-11-2011, 03:53 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
Boston, no contest.

Other favorites are San Francisco and Washington, followed by Seattle, Chicago, and NYC.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:37 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
Of the places Ive actually visited...

...probably Chicago, though if I saw more of NYC I might pick that place. But for now Chicago. Second would be San Francisco, which has a bit of the "Chicago spirit'" to it (even tho the physical settings are radically different.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:33 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
1. NYC- No disputing that its the greatest city in the US
2. Boston - Clean, historic, vital..would live there in a heartbeat.
3. SF - Progressive, diverse, great food!

Old 01-11-2011, 06:50 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Boston - Lots of history, love the architecture, feels small enough to be walkable and liveable, great museums, art galleries, theatres, restaurants etc.... in New England , one my favourite part of the world.Easy access to the sea, mountains, etc... Lots of history and culture.

San Francisco- Laid back , beautiful , liberal , stunning location, love its lifestyle.

NYC, fascinating, multicultural , lots to see and do.

Chicago - Stunning Art Deco and modern architecture, fabulous restaurants and museums. Great nightlife and cultural life

Savannah - Gorgeous, chic and plenty of culture to keep me interested

Old 01-11-2011, 12:16 PM

634 posts, read 1,447,726 times
Oakland, California. Home...in my heart anyway. I felt most comfortable there than any other place I've ever lived. I loved the topography, weather, food, met all kinds of people, made good friends, and of course, you're a BART ride away from all The City has to offer (and you're a zip away from Berkeley also, so you can head up there to Telegraph--I miss Moe's!, the university, etc.), but then you can go right back to The Town.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:36 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Tucson

Perfect size, surrounded by large beautiful mountain ranges that are close and easy to get to. Love old southwest neighborhoods, old adobes, cactus gardens, arroyos running along the roads.

Great food. Sonoran/Arizonan Mexican food, my favorite. Big enough city to find many other kinds; Middle Eastern, all the East Asians, Ethiopian, Dutch, etc.

In my opinion it's a perfect place for outdoors lovers. Nature is close and people in Tucson care about the desert. With Saguaro National Park split on both sides of town, national forest on the northside of town and the Tucson mountain preserve on the west, protected wild areas are close to the city. Hiking, mountain biking, skiing, you name it is convenient.

There's not too many large steady high cultural attractions like museums or plays or whatnot, but there's plenty of off the beaten path one of a kind places like unique shops, someone's sculpture in a wierd spot in the middle of a neighorhood, or real oddball like the "El Tiracito" shrine near downtown, the airplane graveyard, the old mission, colossal cave, or others I can't think of right now.

Oh yeah, ranked 6th in air quality for US cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.