Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:23 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
There are people in the Benton harbor/St joe part of Michigan that have claimed to be able to see the chicago skyline from the Michigan side of the lake. Ive always wondered if that could possibly be true. I thought the curvature of the earth only allowed for a 25 mile line of sight. Maybe on an extremly clear day you could see the very tops of the skyscrapers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 12:39 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleBrat View Post
This thread isn't about the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans. It's about the Great Lakes.
So when we are comparing the Great Lakes to the east and west coasts, and someone brings up the pollution of the Great Lakes, we can not compare that to the pollution of the ocean? I don't follow your logic.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
I think it's just to do with the fact everyone knows about the East and West coast and not many people exactly know about Lake Michigan etc..

I wouldn't say underrated, just less known this could be because it hasn't got major cities on it.
Chicago and Toronto aren't major cities?

Old 03-05-2011, 12:59 PM

171 posts, read 325,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
So when we are comparing the Great Lakes to the east and west coasts, and someone brings up the pollution of the Great Lakes, we can not compare that to the pollution of the ocean? I don't follow your logic.
I don't follow your logic. I wasn't comparing the Great Lakes to the east and west coasts. I posted those links for informational purposes about the Great Lakes, not to ignite an argument with you about whether or not the pollution levels were higher in the Great Lakes or in the oceans. Moderator cut: off-topic/personal

Cherio.

Last edited by Bo; 03-06-2011 at 08:28 AM..

Old 03-05-2011, 02:00 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,238 times
I think they are terribly underrated. They are some of the most amazing natural features on the planet and well deserving of locations for films.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:24 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleBrat View Post
I think I clearly stated my intention in my previous post (and I hate repeating myself), so please go elsewhere with your flame as I don't care what you find unacceptable at this point. If you choose to spark a debate, please find another partner.
I am just wondering what was the point of putting those links up on the pollution? If it was informational will it was information that had nothing to do with the subject. The thread has nothing to do with that. It's asking if the Great Lakes are underrated. The East Coast was just used as a reference point in how some of the Great Lakes have similarities to the East Coast in terms of beauty. It just seems really out of place to post those links in this thread.

Moderator cut: off topic/personal It's your state (among others) that have shown interest in building a pipleline to drink that 'polluted' water in our Great Lakes. Just saying.

Last edited by Bo; 03-06-2011 at 08:26 AM..

Old 03-05-2011, 03:37 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
The Great Lakes are fine but I don't see how you are comparing it to the variations of coastlines, islands, fauna, flora, etc from Maine to Florida and the scenic coasts of Washington to California. It's like apples to oranges, you can see coral reefs, whales, dolphins, swordfish, tropical fish, etc off the east and west coast but the lakes?

Old 03-05-2011, 03:40 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
The Great Lakes are fine but I don't see how you are comparing it to the variations of coastlines, islands, fauna, flora, etc from Maine to Florida and the scenic coasts of Washington to California. It's like apples to oranges, you can see coral reefs, whales, dolphins, swordfish, tropical fish, etc off the east and west coast but the lakes?
Wow, you really haven't read it this thread have you? No one has said the Great Lakes is better than the West Coast and East Coast and no one is saying the ecology is much more interesting than those places. The point is there are some beautiful coastlines that are in the Great Lakes and their BEAUTY is comparable to some of the East Coast.

Maybe you should be more careful reading. No one is comparing it the coasts. It is just being said that some parts of the Great Lakes are just as beautiful and they get no recoginition.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:04 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Wow, you really haven't read it this thread have you? No one has said the Great Lakes is better than the West Coast and East Coast and no one is saying the ecology is much more interesting than those places. The point is there are some beautiful coastlines that are in the Great Lakes and their BEAUTY is comparable to some of the East Coast.

Maybe you should be more careful reading. No one is comparing it the coasts. It is just being said that some parts of the Great Lakes are just as beautiful and they get no recoginition.
isn't saying the Great Lakes are underrated to the coasts comparing? I don't know what that says to you but it sounds like comparing to me.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:13 PM

171 posts, read 325,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
I am just wondering what was the point of putting those links up on the pollution? If it was informational will it was information that had nothing to do with the subject. The thread has nothing to do with that. It's asking if the Great Lakes are underrated. The East Coast was just used as a reference point in how some of the Great Lakes have similarities to the East Coast in terms of beauty. It just seems really out of place to post those links in this thread.

If you want to start a thread on the pollution go ahead, I won't deny it either. If you are from Scottsdale, AZ (if you really are) I would be careful on what your intentions are in this thread. It's your state (among others) that have shown interest in building a pipleline to drink that 'polluted' water in our Great Lakes. Just saying.
Why is it that some of you feel the need to question the reasoning for me putting up those links? Moderator cut: orphaned I grew up minutes from some of those beaches and used to frequent them when I was younger. I thought the information was important because despite the fact that I am fond of some of those beaches, I feel it is important for people to be aware of what has happened to them as well.

Moderator cut: off-topic/personal

Last edited by Bo; 03-06-2011 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the posts you were replying to were deleted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.