Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:21 PM

128 posts, read 193,293 times

Advertisements

Cities: Virginia doesn't really have any major cities. Pennsylvania has Philadelphia, and more people in the whole state, but is also bigger in land size.
Weather: PA definitely has more snow, and ski resorts. Virginia, I don't think it's as bad because it's more south.
Beaches: Pennsylvania doesn't have any coastal beaches, but Virginia does.

Here's more info.
Compare Pennsylvania vs Virginia - Which Place is Better? - Zillow
Virginia vs Pennsylvania in State Facts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 03:07 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,966 times
VA has three metropolitan areas of over a million people and the sophistication/diversity and educational attainment levels arguably surpass those of PA

Old 01-29-2014, 04:57 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
VA has three metropolitan areas of over a million people and the sophistication/diversity and educational attainment levels arguably surpass those of PA
Virginia's most populous area is NoVA, which is obviously due to its proximity to DC. However, the state itself contains no prinicipal city and corresponding metro area -- in terms of size and influence -- that would be considered on par with Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.

And yes, NoVA, as a suburban part of a major metro area, is extremely diverse and highly educated, very much pushing up those metrics for the state overall.

I'm confused as to why are you conflating "sophistication" with diversity, though. There's no metric for "sophistication."

Old 01-29-2014, 05:11 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I'm confused as to why are you conflating "sophistication" with diversity, though. There's no metric for "sophistication."
Well, Virginia has more Whole Foods per capita than Pennsylvania. And we know that Whole Foods only opens its doors in sophisticated and well-to-do areas.

Virginia also has some of the wealthiest counties in the nation. It also voted for Obama in the 2008 primary (PA went for Clinton).

It also doesn't have many working-class whites.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:17 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, Virginia has more Whole Foods per capita than Pennsylvania. And we know that Whole Foods only opens its doors in sophisticated and well-to-do areas.

Virginia also has some of the wealthiest counties in the nation. It also voted for Obama in the 2008 primary (PA went for Clinton).

It also doesn't have many working-class whites.
What are you talking about? Virginia, like Pennsylvania, is loaded with working class whites.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:21 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
What are you talking about? Virginia, like Pennsylvania, is loaded with working class whites.
Virginia still has more Whole Foods per capita though.

Also, how many people have moved from New England to Pennsylvania in the past 25 years? That also adds a level of sophistication.

And Virginia recently elected a liberal Democratic governor.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Virginia still has more Whole Foods per capita though.

Also, how many people have moved from New England to Pennsylvania in the past 25 years? That also adds a level of sophistication.
I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're being tongue-in-cheek.

Quote:
And Virginia recently elected a liberal Democratic governor.
Pennsylvania has done so in the past and is more than likely to do so again later this year.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:35 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,966 times
Let's put it this way, how many peolple and businesses are relocating to PA compared with VA? The population of ALL of VA continues to grow, diversify and become wealthier. It is quite evident that PA's time in the national spotlight has come and gone and that VA, again, ALL of VA, is continuing to climb the ladder of desirability and importance in this country. Take the metro's out of both states for comparison sake and look at just the central parts of both states and their socio-economic status....thriving wineries and horse country estates for the wealthy from all over the globe in VA and dying mill towns and fracking fields in PA.
My parents were born in western PA and left as soon as they could. I have been all over the state and aside from some remarkable scenic beauty that was not destroyed in the early part of the 20th century by the evolution of heavy industry, there is nothing redeeming to what I have seen in my travels.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:30 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
NOVA is horrible IMO-ugly housing and ugly people. The worst of DC. Unfortunately VA needs this part of the state to pump up its "importance and desirability" and "educated population".

I'd much rather spend time in the rest of the state. I loved Charlottesville when I visited and loved the scenic drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway down into Asheville, NC. VA really is a beautiful state. Chincoteague Island is also worth a trip.

PA and VA are very similar in geographic size and both have diverse landscapes. PA is more dominated by Philly and Pittsburgh on each end while VA seems to be more evenly spread out with no major cities. Surprisingly one of the best places to view stars in the World is in North Central PA.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Let's put it this way, how many peolple and businesses are relocating to PA compared with VA? The population of ALL of VA continues to grow, diversify and become wealthier. It is quite evident that PA's time in the national spotlight has come and gone and that VA, again, ALL of VA, is continuing to climb the ladder of desirability and importance in this country.
Yes, there are very different growth rates between both states -- Pennsylvania is a "slow growth" state like the rest of the Northeast/Midwest. However, slow growth does not equate to no growth. It also continues to grow, diversify and become wealthier. This is true for practically every state in the US. Also it's important to note that much of Virginia's success is based on federal spending/contractor industries. Pennsylvania's economy is much more private sector based and thus more self-sustaining.

Pennsylvania still remains the 6th most populous state in the country, whereas Virginia is 12th. No one can predict the future, but currently PA is most certainly considered a very influential/important state.

Quote:
Take the metro's out of both states for comparison sake and look at just the central parts of both states and their socio-economic status....thriving wineries and horse country estates for the wealthy from all over the globe in VA and dying mill towns and fracking fields in PA.
You can't be serious. No offense, but rural Virginia is not exactly Miami or Napa Valley. Is there picturesque countryside with some pleasant wineries? Sure, but let's come back to reality here. Pennsylvania, too, has the exact same type of areas (despite what seem to be fairly limited travels on your part to a few depressed post-industrial towns and the very limited areas of the state that actually have active fracking). Similarly, Virginia has plenty of depressed old manufacturing/coal towns in the Southern and Southwestern portions of the state.

Let's not pretend either state is a utopia.

Quote:
My parents were born in western PA and left as soon as they could. I have been all over the state and aside from some remarkable scenic beauty that was not destroyed in the early part of the 20th century by the evolution of heavy industry, there is nothing redeeming to what I have seen in my travels.
And that appears to be because you have not traveled in the state much -- or at least not in the past 15-20 years.

I personally think both Pennsylvania and Virginia have tons of assets. VA admittedly has more momentum at the moment, but PA is far from a "static" or declining place; it is making great strides in terms of reinventing and revitalizing itself.

Last edited by Duderino; 01-30-2014 at 08:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.