Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:17 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times

Advertisements

Some very vibrant colors right now in the higher elevations of northern New Hampshire and northeastern Vermont. These areas should reach peak within a week or two, depending on elevation. In the lower elevations of northern New England, most of the bright colors (namely reds) are only in wetland areas, but other colors are starting to break through as the green fades. If the season progresses normally then these areas should reach peak in two to three weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 09:59 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,602,514 times
Here is an update from the Michigan photo thread for today: //www.city-data.com/forum/21037860-post24.html

Old 09-26-2011, 11:02 AM

Beautiful pictures from Michigan and Minnesota, michigan83. What has the weather been like in the Upper Midwest? We're having record highs here in New England and I'm afraid that the warmth will have negative effects on the foliage. But it's supposed to cool down by the end of the week, and we might even see snow on the mountain peaks.

Anyway, here are some photos I took yesterday in northern NH & VT:

Old 09-26-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Beautiful pictures from Michigan and Minnesota, michigan83. What has the weather been like in the Upper Midwest? We're having record highs here in New England and I'm afraid that the warmth will have negative effects on the foliage. But it's supposed to cool down by the end of the week, and we might even see snow on the mountain peaks.

Great pics Verseau! I had a chance to experience fall in New Hampshire last year (and a little bit of Massachusetts and Maine) and it was amazing. I hope I get another chance to go back sometime. I would also really like to see Vermont in the fall. Looking foward to seeing your pics on the NH forum as the season progresses.

The weather here has been fairly cool with a mix of cloudy days and sunny days, and we had our first frost already on the 15th and 16th. The colors really started to show up after that. We are supposed to see clouds and rain off and on for this entire week, so I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. But the "experts" are predicting that we are going to have a really good display here in the upper Midwest this fall. Saw this article yesterday: Best fall color show in 10 years? That's what Minnesota says | MLive.com

[/quote]

Old 09-26-2011, 09:24 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times
Cottonwoods are peaking here in Nor Cal now. Sycamores are ramping up as are non native Eastern Maples. Others non natives I can't ID are ramping up as well.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:50 PM

Color just starting to show up here in southern Michigan. Not as nice as the colors in those pics from northern New England or northern MI and MN, but still nice fall scenery.

A few pics that I took today:

Last edited by michigan83; 09-27-2011 at 02:02 PM..

Old 09-27-2011, 02:03 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post

Beautiful pics...

Just out of curiousity, I might be on a trip to Boston towards the end of October(after the 20th) and have a few days to rent a car and take a little trip up north into New Hampshire.

Would that be too late for most of the foliage in that area at that point? I suppose it might be better down towards the coast or further south, but I'm not sure if the mountain areas would be over the peak(or even bare) by then.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:42 PM

Yeah, unfortunately the mountains will be past peak and most likely bare by then. Most of northern New England and the Berkshires in MA will probably be past peak as well (although you might want to check the foliage updates; the warmer temps might delay the colors a little bit).

If you stuck to the coast you'd probably see some nice color, i.e. Portsmouth and maybe up to Portland via Ogunquit and Kennebunkport. Otherwise I would suggest looking for backroads in southern New England. Routes 169 / 14A / 49 in eastern Connecticut make for a very nice drive, and maybe you could swing over through Jamestown to Newport, RI. You don't really get the same effect of the hills and mountainsides covered with color, but these are still nice places to visit anytime of the year, with the added bonus of the foliage.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:47 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,559 times
Central New York is only just starting to turn. It doesn't look like a particularly vibrant season here this year, unfortunately. CNY usually begins to approach peak by mid-October so we have a few more weeks.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:34 PM

Update from the Colorado forum from a few days ago: //www.city-data.com/forum/21039419-post384.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.