Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 09:45 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times

Advertisements

I'm a bonafide Yankee and put "American" on the Census. Unless you're first or second generation of any particular nationality, it doesn't make sense to claim otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 01:52 PM
0-0

18 posts, read 25,792 times
Because southern whites are mutts and have been here forever.
Im actually less than 25% any one ethnic group.
Im scotch-irish, english, dutch, spanish, french, and cherokee
I have blue eyes and brown hair and my 1/2 cherokee grandpa has been mistaken for mexican, people (especially northerners) usually don't even beleive we are related so that should just give you an idea as to how mixed I am.
Thats SEVEN different nationalities and my family on the white side has been here sense the 1790s, and the native side for more than 10K years.

Most white people from up north don't understand cause so few of you are actually more than 4 nationalities, most of us are. Few of you have been here for 400 years, most of us have, and few of you have native american and even african ansestors, most of us do.

Im American, a White American, a White Southern American.
What makes more sense, me to check 1 box, or check 9 of them?
Cause based on the definition of mixed race and hispanic, technically I also can be classified as both of those.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
I'm from the south and I wouldn't know what to put down as my ancestry, and none of my living relatives know, either. In fact, most of the people I know from TN couldn't tell you where their families came from, besides a general guess.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:25 PM

124 posts, read 558,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Because they are stupid.

Unless they are Native American, putting American as your ethnic group or ancestry is false. Sorry, 10% Native American does't cut it.
Considering "native americans" are believed to have come from Asia through the Bering Straight would they be actually be native to America according to you. Let's try American Indians.
After reading through this thread common sense should explain why southern americans would logically say america is their ancestry but you know what they say about liberalism.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:02 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Because they are stupid.

Unless they are Native American, putting American as your ethnic group or ancestry is false. Sorry, 10% Native American does't cut it.
The people from whom I derive my surname arrived in this country before the Revolutionary War, and with intermarriage since then I'm undoubtedly a Euro-mutt. What would I be, therefore, other than American in ancestry? It would seem preposterous of me to consider myself English.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,174 times
It's easier to write one word than to write German, Irish, Scot, English, French, Native American etc. My friends who are African American can also write many of these other European groups. None of us are fully anything anymore. It's just easier to identify yourself as one word...it also may be a little nose thumbing to the government for asking. Like the German people in Germany, they wanted to move on after WWII. I think Southerners want to move on as well. But the rest of the country would like to keep reminding them of how awful Southerns are. So, they keep their mouths shut and thumb their noses and continue to write American.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:47 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Why do white southerners put "American" as their ancestry on the census?

Because "Confederate" wasn't a choice.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Why do southerners put "American" as their ancestry on the census?
Why not? We ARE Americans. I'd have to write down at least 6 different ethnic groups if I wanted to be specific about my genetic origins.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:17 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
I'm not a Southerner
but i write "American" because i'm too lazy to write "Mexican-Spanish-Norwegian-German-English-Native-American."
plus culturally i am an American considering i was born and raised here all my life.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:46 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm not a Southerner
but i write "American" because i'm too lazy to write "Mexican-Spanish-Norwegian-German-English-Native-American."
plus culturally i am an American considering i was born and raised here all my life.
The Census should get rid of that "American" racial category unless it is referring to all US citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.