Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 04:13 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times

Advertisements

Hmm...a city that I was surprised I liked. That's a tough one for me. Pretty much every city I've ever liked is one I was expecting to like. I guess Louisville might be one. It was much larger than I was expecting to do be when I first took a drive there. I guess Indianapolis was another ok one. But Indy and Louisville are still both mainly cities I pass through to get to other ones. when I pass through Indy I am usually headed to somewhere in Ohio, and when I pass through Louisville, I'm usually on my way to West Virginia, Virginia or north Carolina. One of the great things about St. Louis is any state is easily accessible using very few interstates. We have easy connections to just about anywhere in the United states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 07:16 AM

304 posts, read 1,430,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Pittsburgh! I had the stereotypical mindset about P'burgh, depressed, ugly, gloomy. I was wrong! Was wowed by all the bridges, and the view from the top of the Monogohela Incline was VERY impressive. Good food and nice people too. Downtown is really cool
Tahiti, I totally agree with you! My husband is from Pittsburgh, and I was impressed with the city when he finally convinced me to visit it. I want to go back for another visit next summer.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:29 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
...But Indy and Louisville are still both mainly cities I pass through to get to other ones. when I pass through Indy I am usually headed to somewhere in Ohio, and when I pass through Louisville, I'm usually on my way to West Virginia, Virginia or north Carolina...
Honestly, did you really have to throw this statement in? You could have left this out and still made your point.

If someone asked me if I liked, say St. Louis for example, do you see how it would be rude for me to say, "Sure, BUT the truth is that I only use St. Louis as a city I go through to get to Santa Fe, New Mexico" instead of just saying Sure? Doesn't the former sound the least bit rude to you?

You seem awful proud of it too because you even added some detail. The world knows you dislike Indy, Louisville, Chicago, hell anyplace that isn't St. Louis, so why do you keep bringing it up?

Old 09-05-2007, 09:33 AM

84 posts, read 87,051 times
I was taken back by Seattle. Best city in country; outisde of San diego of course. lol. I had always heard about it, but the vibe that the city gives off is awesome! Made my visit there last year, and will continue to visit every year from now on. Keep up the good work!

Old 09-05-2007, 09:33 AM

345 posts, read 976,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Pittsburgh! I had the stereotypical mindset about P'burgh, depressed, ugly, gloomy. I was wrong! Was wowed by all the bridges, and the view from the top of the Monogohela Incline was VERY impressive. Good food and nice people too. Downtown is really cool
I've got to try a Primenti (sp?) Brothers sandwich. I've heard those are to die for.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:34 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Indy and Knoxville; I didn't think either one would be anything special, although Indy wasn't as "special" as Knoxville. Completely surprised at how much I liked Madison, Wisc.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:39 AM

3,294 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh! I had the stereotypical mindset about P'burgh, depressed, ugly, gloomy. I was wrong! Was wowed by all the bridges, and the view from the top of the Monogohela Incline was VERY impressive. Good food and nice people too.
I agree as well. Absolutely surprised me as well.

My husband and I would move there if we didn't have ties here in the south. Liz

Old 09-05-2007, 10:19 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
Great thread idea.

Kansas City, MO - like many people from the East Coast, I had thought any midwestern "city" was really just an extra-large grouping of farms. Wrong! My husband and I came to KC for a Royals game, and we were really impressed with how much there was to do, how friendly the people were, and the low cost of living. We had been trying to decide on a place to relocate to; at the time Raleigh, NC was #1 on our list. We decided to look into KC a little more, and came out for a second, longer visit. Almost every town we visited, we loved. And the city itself has so much to offer. Major league sports, great restaurants, museums, shopping, parks, a very nice skyline. I also have a soft spot for river areas, having grown up near the Delaware River. We liked it so much, we moved here last month! Never in a million years would I have thought I would like a midwestern city so much, I would leave the ocean and my family on the East coast.

Pittsburgh - ditto the above, I didn't expect much but the mountain and river views are outstanding, and there is so much to do. A great blend of city + nature.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:40 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
I've got to try a Primenti (sp?) Brothers sandwich. I've heard those are to die for.

they.are.the.BEST!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-05-2007, 10:59 AM

30 posts, read 114,308 times
Great comments everyone...

Ok, so I've heard about Pittsburgh a lot on this thread. I've never been up that way, so it looks like I'll have to give it a shot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.