Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 10:12 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
By refuted of you mean deny facts and give opinion than yes some people did that.
Honey, you need a dictionary. And while you're looking up "refute", you might also look up "anecdotal".

Quote:
You repeated false info over and over.
Look up "redundant", too.

So wait ... You mean I really didn'twalk over to my neighbor's house yesterday after work and chat with him, or check on my elderly next door neighbors later in the evening, or call my other neighbor whose mother just died, or check in with the teenage girl down the street who is my cat sitter?

Wow. I must have had waaaayyyyy too much coffee to hallucinate all that.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:56 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Honey, you need a dictionary. And while you're looking up "refute", you might also look up "anecdotal".

Look up "redundant", too.

So wait ... You mean I really didn'twalk over to my neighbor's house yesterday after work and chat with him, or check on my elderly next door neighbors later in the evening, or call my other neighbor whose mother just died, or check in with the teenage girl down the street who is my cat sitter?

Wow. I must have had waaaayyyyy too much coffee to hallucinate all that.
This conversation is about the suburbs in general and not your personal experiences. What i said doea not apply to everyone per se but most people.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:07 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
This conversation is about the suburbs in general and not your personal experiences. What i said doea not apply to everyone per se but most people.
It may not, and I certainly lived in a suburb that was a total pit when I was a kid.

However, when I moved back up to the Seattle area (Edmonds, specifically) because my grandma was in ill health, her neighbors came over to say hi and introduced themselves, said they were glad I was there, and gave me a rundown of the issues she'd been having lately which they'd helped her with, in case she tried to brush them under the carpet (as she did... they knew her well enough). I got to know most of them within the time that I was up there helping out. I got my own place in suburban North Seattle, and the only friendly people in that 'hood were a nice old lady who'd been there for decades and lamented the current crop of residents, and a guy around the corner who was from Australia and wished they still lived in CA.

An ex of mine who lived in a Bay Area suburb knew all of her neighbors and we threw a big barbecue with them.

There's no way to throw a blanket across "the suburbs" when you're talking about thousands of communities all across different regions, cultures, economic lines, etc.

I am an urbanite, and I will likely be living in cities for most of if not the entire rest of my life, and from my perception, I'd hardly say that the 'burbs are "in decline" or are any more or less inherently less welcoming or friendly than anywhere else.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
There's no way to throw a blanket across "the suburbs" when you're talking about thousands of communities all across different regions, cultures, economic lines, etc.
This is what the OP refuses to acknowledge.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
This is what the OP refuses to acknowledge.
And it's precisely why, if you go into any area subforum on this site, you'll find people asking where they can find an Andy Griffith-like community where everyone's chummy and looks out for each other... or where they can find a predominantly middle-class black suburb... or a suburb where people keep to themselves and mind their own business... or whatever else... I don't get how this is tough to understand!

Old 02-24-2012, 01:52 PM

I apologize to the OP; it was someone else who refuses to acknowledge that suburbs can be and often are friendly.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I apologize to the OP; it was someone else who refuses to acknowledge that suburbs can be and often are friendly.
They can be friendly often they are not.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
The exact same goes for the city, though.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Just like any other place. Welcome to Planet Earth.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Just like any other place. Welcome to Planet Earth.
I know this is the point I have been trying to make. Had you sat down and actually listened to what I said instead of arguing from the beginning based off an assumption we could have avoided all of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.