Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:22 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times

Advertisements

Having lived in urban and suburban environments, I will say that without a doubt my experiance is that people in suburbs are much friendlier and nicer. I live in a very suburban neighborhood and I know every one on my street. When I lived in downtown Chicago, Central Dallas, or Mid-Wilshire in LA, I knew nobody except my neighbors. Even then, my neighbors in Chicago were not very nice people.

Not only that, but my current suburban neighborhood is way more multi-cultural than any urban place Ive ever lived.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:08 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
I've lived in cities. I've lived in suburbs. I've lived in small towns. By far, the most isolating was the small town. Not the suburbs; I know all my neighbors by name in pretty much a three-block radius. Well, except for the residents of the former junior high school that was converted into a senior citizens' residence. I know them by sight, but not by name.

The first day we owned our house, our next door neighbor came over with food, and asked us if we needed anything. When she saw us sitting on the floor eating our dinner, she brought over a table and chairs until our furniture was delivered. Her husband brings in my trash cans and tosses my newspaper on the porch.

One neighbor shovels my sidewalk when it snows. Another watches my cats when I go away. When my husband died, just about everyone -- except my neighbor with MS, but she called several times -- stopped by with food, flowers, offers to help.

Yeah, I feel real isolated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Doesnt change the fact that most suburbanites tend to be miserable and isolated.
You sound pretty miserable yourself. Where do you live?

Quote:
Stuck in a boring generic house, with increasing debt, and worse job prospects. They spend their life sitting in traffic to get to work and their free time is spent on buying material positions that TV tells them they need. Their situation gets worse and worse, and most watch hopelessly.
Oh, goody! Another opportunity to use my favorite smiley!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
I can't imagine they are super friendly since the idea of suburbs hinges on isolation.
Isolation is a product of preference; one can choose to be isolated anywhere one lives.

Quote:
If I had funding I would conduct research to see why surbanization can make people lazy, think less, and angry. I dont have an explanation for it but it should be a top priority to get to the bottom of this.
Well, thank God you don't; nobody would give you any research funding anyway, since you've already come to a (faulty) conclusion before you've conducted the research.

Quote:
Im not talking about your neighborhood, but suburbs as a whole. So please dont take it personally.
All these "exceptions" are debunking your sorry premise.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:08 PM

466 posts, read 982,770 times
I'm patiently waiting for cry_havoc to come back into the thread and tell all of us that our overwhelmingly friendly experiences in the suburbs were all "rare exceptions".

Old 02-17-2012, 10:07 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,879,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
I'm patiently waiting for cry_havoc to come back into the thread and tell all of us that our overwhelmingly friendly experiences in the suburbs were all "rare exceptions".
I would say rare.

Uncommon is a better term.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:10 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,879,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I've lived in cities. I've lived in suburbs. I've lived in small towns. By far, the most isolating was the small town. Not the suburbs; I know all my neighbors by name in pretty much a three-block radius. Well, except for the residents of the former junior high school that was converted into a senior citizens' residence. I know them by sight, but not by name.

The first day we owned our house, our next door neighbor came over with food, and asked us if we needed anything. When she saw us sitting on the floor eating our dinner, she brought over a table and chairs until our furniture was delivered. Her husband brings in my trash cans and tosses my newspaper on the porch.

One neighbor shovels my sidewalk when it snows. Another watches my cats when I go away. When my husband died, just about everyone -- except my neighbor with MS, but she called several times -- stopped by with food, flowers, offers to help.

Yeah, I feel real isolated.

You sound pretty miserable yourself. Where do you live?

Oh, goody! Another opportunity to use my favorite smiley!

Isolation is a product of preference; one can choose to be isolated anywhere one lives.

Well, thank God you don't; nobody would give you any research funding anyway, since you've already come to a (faulty) conclusion before you've conducted the research.

All these "exceptions" are debunking your sorry premise.
Yes, the exceptions of 3 or 4 suburban boosters in a population of 200+ million debunks my premise.

You are also ignoring all the people who chimed in agreeing with me about how terrible the suburbanites can be.

Im sorry you feel isolated and I just want to help you.

So thank god for the suburbs that proper research cannot be done because suburbanites wouldnt like the results.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Yes, the exceptions of 3 or 4 suburban boosters in a population of 200+ million debunks my premise.

You are also ignoring all the people who chimed in agreeing with me about how terrible the suburbanites can be.

So thank god for the suburbs that proper research cannot be done because suburbanites wouldnt like the results.
I don't think we're on the same thread. Didn't see that.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:08 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelGood2011 View Post
A poll for America today:
You move into a subdivision in the Suburbs. Do your new neighbors welcome you.. or not? How do they treat you as new to the neighborhood?
All of my neighbors completely ignored me except for the ones whose driveway backs up to mine. I still don't know any of their names except for that one couple, though we occasionally wave to each other.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
All of my neighbors completely ignored me except for the ones whose driveway backs up to mine. I still don't know any of their names except for that one couple, though we occasionally wave to each other.
Have you ever lived in "the city"? Were the neighbors friendly there? Mine weren't.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:50 PM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:

No, everyone here thats lived in a suburb seems to agree that they know most of their niegbors, and its not a living hell, while all the insecure urbanites are so damn full of the selves that they believe anyone who doesnt live like them is somehow demented.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 PM

^^^What he said!

And just why are these city dwellers so insecure that they have to put down suburbanites constantly? Maybe someone should get some grant money to study that!

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-18-2012 at 10:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.