Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:10 AM

562 posts, read 989,418 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine they are super friendly since the idea of suburbs hinges on isolation. It would be different if it were a true semi-rural community or an inner unplanned neighborhood, but I'm still not sure.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:44 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady
The last time I lived in one, everyone was so friendly and baked stuff and brought it over...
after that we were a tight, close community where everyone watched out for each other, and the
children.

Quote:
CCL-
That is good what state did you reside in? It seems the majority of reponse on this thread are adverse and reflect the anti-social /anti-community /negative "super independence" culture of America today.
I live in Kentucky.
I am really shocked by all the negative responses by posters actually.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:51 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
I couldnt live in a new subdivision cause they have jerk HOAs that dont even let you pick the drapes of your choice, and some only allow certain plants and shrubs. That's ridiculous to me.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Why would anyone treat you differently? Most people move to the suburbs to be left alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
In the suburbs people dont seem to know each other. They might smile and say hi to each other, but everyone is too busy living in their own personal hell to notice anyone besides themselves, unless they live in a more urban/planned suburb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
they probably ignore you completely. isn't that why people move to the suburbs in the first place?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
I can't imagine they are super friendly since the idea of suburbs hinges on isolation. It would be different if it were a true semi-rural community or an inner unplanned neighborhood, but I'm still not sure.
Where does this "urban legend" come from?

I've lived in the city and the burbs, and find the burbs far more friendly. It's the city people who seem to crave the anonymity of being one in a crowd.

My experience is that my suburban neighbors are wonderful people. We shovel each other's walks in time of need, bring food to the sick, watch each other's kids, all the "neighborly" stuff you see on TV.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:29 PM

466 posts, read 982,532 times
Quote:
Of course there are a few exceptions.

Doesnt change the fact that most suburbanites tend to be miserable and isolated. Stuck in a boring generic house, with increasing debt, and worse job prospects. They spend their life sitting in traffic to get to work and their free time is spent on buying material positions that TV tells them they need. Their situation gets worse and worse, and most watch hopelessly.

It is a good thing suburbs are now reversing, or making changes to make them more urban.
Havent you gotten tired of this act yet? lol. It's weird and bizarre how much dislike you have for suburbs. Really weird.

Anyway, to the OP, I am still great friends today with kids I grew up with on my street in the suburbs. Our parents are still friends. We had a blast. My youth was spent playing all over the neighborhood. Everyone knew everyone.

Today, that is still the case in a completely different suburb. I don't personally know everyone in the neighborhood, but almost all of them.

ALmost all my family/friends my entire life have lived in suburbs and almost unanimously have been very friendly and outgoing with neighbors. That is the norm, not the exception.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:33 PM

466 posts, read 982,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
they probably ignore you completely. isn't that why people move to the suburbs in the first place?
No, they move there for many reasons. They want a property with more room and better school districts for their kids just to name a couple.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:00 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Where does this "urban legend" come from?

I've lived in the city and the burbs, and find the burbs far more friendly. It's the city people who seem to crave the anonymity of being one in a crowd.

My experience is that my suburban neighbors are wonderful people. We shovel each other's walks in time of need, bring food to the sick, watch each other's kids, all the "neighborly" stuff you see on TV.
It is more the reality of the situation than an urban legend.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
It is more the reality of the situation than an urban legend.
Not in my experience, either growing up or as an adult. I have lived in the city and found most of the neighbors far less friendly that those in the burbs.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
I live in a suburban area and the only people we talk to regularly are my next door neighbours, and occasionally say high to a few others.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I live in a suburban area and the only people we talk to regularly are my next door neighbours, and occasionally say high to a few others.
And when you lived in the city? (Assuming you did)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.